Birth Center

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
We went to our birth center orientation last week, and I have to tell you - it's not what I expected. Our midwife told us that we had to both go because they would be going over emergency procedures, showing Tim where emergency supplies were kept and going over evacuation/severe weather info.

That wasn't talked about at all. Tim took a day off work to go, and honestly the information that was given we had already talked about with our midwife. The class was more for people who hadn't decided yet if they wanted to go to a birth center or didn't know what a birth center was... we were kinda disappointed.

But the upside - now that we have that req done, the paperwork that we are turning in on Friday and the payment on Friday we are almost completely ready for birth! My son LOVED the birth center, so I'm even more excited now. I totally understand that they are going through growing pains - it just opened in December, the first baby was born on New Year's Eve and there have only been 11 babies born there so far, so we're not worried about the disappointing class. We're just excited to have this option!

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
May 18th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That's awesome, I'm glad you liked it! One thing we loved about the birth center last time was that I could bring Abby to appointments with me and she would be occupied. The midwives would let her help with the heartbeat and they had a playroom for kids so she was always entertained. It made it so much easier to schedule appointments when I didn't have to worry about getting someoen to watch her!

Expecting baby #4!

May 18th, 2011, 06:06 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
our orientation was at night and was about "do you really want to birth here? we have no drugs" and i was 110% sure i was going to be there, but it was only a couple hours long and good for DH.

May 18th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
We still go to appointments at our midwife's office, but Dalton goes with us to those too. We didn't have him go to the first one, because we wanted to make sure there was a heartbeat before we told him, kwim? But he's been to the rest. He helped do an ultrasound once when they couldn't find the heartbeat and loved it. He helps with the doppler every time - it's made a HUGE difference for him. He was completely against having a baby when we first told him, but since he's been able to "help" at the appointments, he's so excited.

Yours sounds really similar to what ours was, so maybe that's normal. The only expectations I had were what our midwife told us, which was why I was surprised. We've already done one NCB and DH was always completely on board for it, I'm a lucky lady.

Ours was only about an hour long, and I think it would've been better if there weren't so many people - there were 10 couples, and it's just a 4 bedroom house, so not a lot of room. After a little discussion about not having pain meds, we were allowed to go "explore" the birth center. The nurse went with one of the couples she already knew, and so she was able to talk to some of the couples about what the rooms featured, but there was no way 20 people were going to fit in one room to hear her.

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
May 19th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Happy Mommy
I am waiting so impatiently for tomorrow for you to ask her about that class...
May 19th, 2011, 12:15 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Thats great that it went well. But stinks that its not what you thought. Maybe your midwife thought the class you needed was that day?

Tags
birth center

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search