Question

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok.. This has been on my mind sooooooooooooo much lately! I want to try to deliver natural but I'm so small. I have the body size of a 12 year old and I don't know that I'd be able to deliver without it killing me. Is anyone else's frame small and they got away with the natural deliver ok?

My doctor had mentioned a C-Section because of my size and the chance of baby Lexi's shoulders breaking but I really don't want a c-section and I'd like to try to do it natural.. Everyone I've talked to that went natural said they'd rather it that away because of the quick recovery and etc. I'm just so scared of the pain and the baby ripping me and all those possibilties..

So what do ya'll think? Do you think I'd be able to go Natural being I'm so small? I'm just asking because i know ya'll have all been through it!
June 20th, 2006, 10:58 PM
mrsdutch's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsdutch
hey girl!!!! I think the main thing that would cause you problems is your fear. The more you are worried, I think the less relaxed you are and the more you are going to hurt. My sister is also absolutely tiny and has had 4 children. The first two naturally and without any stitches so it can be done. Just focus on a positive attitude and talking about any fears. I know you can do it if you set your mind to it

Angels Bright from Starry height, change my mind and being with light!

June 21st, 2006, 05:22 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Just relax and trust your body. Don't let the doctor scare you by talking c/s. It is highly likely your baby will be small like you. And if not, then obviously your body can handle a bigger baby. The pygmy women in Africa routinely give birth to 12 pounders!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 21st, 2006, 08:44 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Honestly, I have to agree with the other two posters. What your doc is talking about is CPD. TRUE CPD is extremely rare - and often misdiagnosed or used arbitrarily where it is not the case.

To give you an example of the wonder of our bodies - I am 5'4 and had two nearly 8lbers vaginally with absolutely NO problems. My mom is 5'3 and was a size 0 (prepregnancy) when she birthed my brother and I, nearly 9lbers. My grandma is 5'1 and had four children who were all 9 and up. My great-grandma has had 6 children, all homebirths, and she is petite petite. She has always worn size 4 and under. Her children were 8lbs, 10lbs, 9lbs, 9+lbs.... etc.. etc... you get the picture.

If you are thinking of a natural childbirth (or even vaginal) I recommend finding another doc (or midwife). I know it sounds extreme, but a doc who uses any type of 'fear' this early in the game without even seeing a woman in labor is one to be avoided in my book.

Also, I REALLY REALLY recommend looking into taking Bradley Method courses. They will help you work through fears, learn relaxation, and learn the benefits of natural childbirth and allowing things to happen as nature intended. You will also learn about the physiology of childbirth and how our bodies were designed for this. I would look into it immediately, though, if you are going to as they are generally a 12 week course, but well worth it!

Bellies & Babies Blogger
June 21st, 2006, 08:56 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I am 5'6" but still rather small-framed, and weighed 108 before getting pregnant with my second. size 4. smaller around the ribs/waist than my younger, skinny, and five foot tall sister. my babies were both large, 8-1/4 and 7-1/2 lb. (would've been 9-1/2 or more at 40 weeks) and came a few weeks early. maybe my body "knew"? I did just fine. Did need stitches, but that's not uncommon...

i would not go to a doctor who was talking c-section from the start. do what you feel is right. best of luck!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

June 21st, 2006, 10:55 AM
Sarah-Jean's Avatar Veteran
My Gran was less then 5 foot and had 7 BIG children back in the day!

It's a myth that small women have problems during delivery, you'll be fine!

Love,

Sarah-Jean
I have 6 little Angel babies watching over me...

TTC Our Princess in October 06!!!
June 21st, 2006, 11:05 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Come to think of it, my great-grandmother was tiny, about what would be a size 2 or 4 today with very slender hips. She had 7 children, all homebirths of course, and they all weighed between 10 and 12 pounds! You never know what a body can do.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 21st, 2006, 12:37 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
I agree with the others--don't let your doc shut you out of a natural birth just yet! Get support from all around you to try natural if that's what you truly want. IFIFIFIF you need the CS eventually, then fine, but why not give natural a try?

My mom was tall, but VERY thin...and all of us were 9-11 pounds. She used no meds, and my brother even made a surprise appearance. Her water broke, no contractions, went to pee, and out popped a head!

My MIL is 5'3" and is a bit wider than my mom, but again, 9-11-pounders, 3 of them completely natural, no meds! (4th was an emergency CS.)

In good hands, it can't hurt to try the natural way. Just let your doc know, and if s/he is unsupportive, go to another doc for opinions...just to see!

June 21st, 2006, 07:24 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Heck I KNOW small women who have birthed just fine. And I also know bigger women who had varying issues. SIZE does not matter! You will do just fine! If your OB has a fear of small women having babies tell him or her to sort that out for themselves but to leave you out of it. If you do what your body tells you to do and birth in a position that you choose then the baby will come out!

June 22nd, 2006, 10:02 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
The parts of the pelvis that matters most in birthing a baby (the inlet and midsection), are completely undetectable visusally or through palpation. I have attended to mothers who were TEENY TINY (one comes to mind who was straight as a rail and whose hips were no wider than the length of my hand) and gave birth to 8+ pound babies.

And tearing has a lot less to do with size of baby than it has to do with position and presentation of baby. As long as the pressure from baby is slow and even on your bottom, you won't tear. A tiny 36 week baby could have her hand by her head and cause a terrible tear, not because of size, but beacause of uneven pressure.

And I second the idea of looking for a more supportive doctor. Someone who is already planning a c-section for you is not likely to be willing to work with you during your birth to help you have the birth of your dreams.
June 24th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
My friend Jill weighed 89 lbs when she conceived at age 16. She is Vietnamese, and very petite and with a very small bone structure. SHe birthed a 9 lb child vaginally. As long as you take it slow, and dont stay restricted on your back, and are allowed to move as necessary, you'll do great! Relaxin moves your joints and allows your pelvis to stretch.

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

June 25th, 2006, 12:29 PM
illinoismommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am going for a natural birth this time too!

Last time I planned an epidural, but I didn't like how it all went so I want to switch.

I am 5'4" and 97 pounds pre-pregnancy. I am 26 and people still think I am a teenager. lol. (that gets kind of annoying, but what can you do??)

Anyway, I had no problems birthing vaginally. Babies are usually the right size for the mother even if the father is a big guy.

I am shocked that your obgyn suggested a c-section at this point just because of your frame. I would strongly suggest getting another doctor. Doctors who start out with the csection mindset almost always end up giving their patients a csection.

My obgyn never once mentioned it to me last time.I am going for a natural birth this time too!

Last time I planned an epidural, but I didn't like how it all went so I want to switch.
Baby expected January 2nd, 2010!

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search