Anybody have their kids with them?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2006, 09:58 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
My son will be 3 a month after the baby is born...and its looking more likely that we'll have him with us at the bc when dd is born. I'm totally ok with that...and actually its what I've secretly always wanted! The mw's told me that a lot of ladies labor through the middle of the night, so if I'm blessed enought to have that happen, come in after he's asleep and lay him on the bed in the spare room and go about my business. I'm just worried about what to do if that ideal situation doesn't happen. He LOVES it at the bc, they have toys in every room, and we'd totally be up to bringing his little tv and dvd player (movie junkie!) and some of his favorite toys. Is it completely unreasonable to think that this could happen? I know I'll need dh, but with great mw's and nurses, he'll be off the hook more than he was during ds's birth at the hospital where he had to protect me from the stupid nurses. And my faith in Jesus has grown sooo much since then, I plan on internalizing and praying a lot and just fully relying on Him to get me through, so I won't always want dh right there.

In my perfect dream of this, we get there and labor through the night while ds is sleeping, then have dd just after he wakes up and is in super-cuddle mode and he gets to see it and lay in bed with us immediately after. We won't have any visitors as we have no family here and I fully do NOT plan on having non-family over...they can all see her at church when we go next. I know my mom will hop a plane though as soon as she hears that dd is coming, so she'll probably be here within a day or so. That I am ok with!

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
June 21st, 2006, 10:03 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Ani was 19 1/2 months old when Cameron was born. She was supposed to be there for the birth but Cameron came faster than expected and she was outside in the garden (birthing center birth) with my mom when he was actually born.

This time my kids are 6 1/2 and 4 3/4. We are having a homebirth and they will both be present. Cameron wants to help deliver the baby (fine with my midwife) and Ani has decided she wants to be in the room but she's not sure how close she wants to be and will decide when the time comes.

It is a good idea, however, not to just have activities for the older sibling but to have someone there to care for the child. You do not know how he will react during labor and delivery and it would be unfortunate if your husband had to miss the birth to deal with your son. My midwife actually insisted on having someone other than my husband there to care for Ani during labor and delivery simply because you never know what might happen.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 21st, 2006, 10:06 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
My 6 and 3 year old dd's will be with us for this birth. My eldest is psyched that we agreed to let her cut her brother's cord after he is born. She begged and begged until we relented. They will have my mom there as their caregiver. My dh will be helping me, along with our doula and midwife - so we need someone other than them to watch the kids and answer any questions they have or in case they decide they don't want to be there for the birth.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
June 21st, 2006, 11:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With Xander, who's three, it kind of all depends on when the birth happens. We'll be having a homebirth so if he's up... we'll let him be with us during labor. (Kids have this tendancy to know how to act just right to sooth you) When Lucas was born Xander was almost 2, and we let him in part of the time. He kind of got a little scared when I went into transition and started getting a little louder, so my MIL took him into the livingroom. He could still hear me and my MIL said he was a bit worried about me. He was also the first person besides the DH, my midwife and her assistant see the baby. (My MIL wasn't thrilled about that) He was a very proud big brother.
June 21st, 2006, 11:35 AM
Sarah-Jean's Avatar Veteran
DS1 insisted he'd want to be there when I had DS4.... Unfortunately when the time came and we went and woke him up he took one look at me in the birthpool, shook his head and said he was too tired. Strangely the other two boys who were 3 and 1 were far more interested and came down as soon as they heard I was giving birth!

I'll definately have my kids with me when I give birth next time!

Love,

Sarah-Jean
I have 6 little Angel babies watching over me...

TTC Our Princess in October 06!!!
June 22nd, 2006, 04:20 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I would prefer to have someone there to care for him, but I don't have anyone I want at the birth...and I don't want him away from us either (he's never slept alone, he's a co-sleeper, although he's side-carred now). So I guess this is all up to God to work out the kinks for us!

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search