how did you decide to pursue natural childbirth?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
Just curious how we all came to a desire to want to birth naturally, when so many choose to be medicated without even looking at methods to cope with labor unmedicated.

I have to fix breakfast, but will come back when I change laundry over and respond

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

June 24th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Super Mommy
For me, it was knowing I wanted to be able to be in control of what was happening with my body. Plus, I can't stand the thought of a needle in my back! *shudder*

From there, it didn't take me long to decide I want a water birth. I'm nervous as heck, but I know I'll be in a supportive environment, surrounded by really supportive people. I just hope the nurse who teaches the childbirth classes is on call when I go into labor - she's wonderful!

</div>
June 24th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
It just makes sense to birth with no drugs. Women have been doing it for millenia and it's only very recently that drugs have been introduced in the process. Plus we just don't know what all the effects are or may be to us and the babies.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 24th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
I had a friend with 2 kids who had her third at home. I was unmarried and childless at that point, and was fascinated by the fact that she had done it at home with no meds. I did not begin researching until I got pregnant, but like many of you, once I saw the risks and benfits of medication, I decided to work as hard as I could to ensure that I did not need medication.

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

June 24th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Up until I met my husband I always figured I would go to the hospital, get the pain meds and just basically do what the doctor told me to do. Then I met my husband... and his SIL had had 2 homebirths by the time we were dating. I thought she was nuts. She had a horrible midwife at those two births who didn't really know what they were doing. (She found out later that she could have died because of what the midwife had her do in labor with her first one) Her story turned me off to homebirths even more. Well for her thrid child she got a new midwife and this woman was absolutly WONDERFUL. I even met the midwife when she made the home visit. After I met her I totally looked into homebirthing... (this was before I was even pregnant). My husband hated hospitals and I kind of liked the idea of staying in comfort of my own home to have the baby. So about 2 years later... I got pregnant with Xander. We didn't have insurance at the time so going to a midwife just made sense. We went to the same midwife as my SIL and are still using her to this day. I LOVE MY MIDWIFE.
June 24th, 2006, 11:08 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
I have a history (family) of unmedicated birthers in my family. So, to me, it was the only thing to do. When I heard that women have their babies numbed, or loopy, or surgically - I was astounded. I didn't even think that was possible.

Then, as I looked into the possibility of having a medicated birth - I simply could not reconcile the thought that 'this is not how it is supposed to be'.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
June 24th, 2006, 02:29 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I decided I wanted natural as I didnt want to put anything unnatural in my or ds body.

June 24th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Part of me is just a rebel and wanted to prove it could be done. I am also old-fashioned and wanted to see if I could do it like women used to give birth. I have ancestors who had as many as 18 children and none of them had a needle in their spine.

When I was 8 months pregnant I visited a friend in the hospital who had just given birth (with an epidural)and she introduced me to her mother-in-law thusly "This is Heather. She wants to have natural childbirth." And then she burst out laughing. Her mother-in-law replied dryly "Well I had four children with natural childbirth. We didn't know any better back then." I replied that I had heard natural childbirth had been done before and I was going to do it. And I did.

June 25th, 2006, 09:20 AM
illinoismommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For me it is because I had a medicated birth the first time. I was not happy with the outcome, and didn't forsee the "side effects" of the epidural. I did give birth vaginally at least but lots of little things I didn't like. I ended up with a 4th degree tear that now I will always have to deal with in subsequent births. So I want to be in a position that will provide my best chances of not having another tear that bad, and epidurals make you lay on your back. I didn't like being all strapped up with an IV and a needle in my back. Yuck.
Baby expected January 2nd, 2010!

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason
June 25th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
With my first two, I had a shot of demerol. I felt pretty much out of it and drugged with the first, don't even know if it was pain med or not with the second...still had lots of pain and no after effects. Number 3, she came fast and in a hurry no time for meds (born 30 min. after arriving at hosp.) so I knew I could do it. So that's what I did for the last two...no meds and I felt soo much better after! And NO ONE was getting near my back with a needle at anytime!

June 26th, 2006, 09:00 AM
aihsela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to aihsela Send a message via MSN to aihsela
I'm with jrd..I had an epidural with my DS. It did not go well at all and my son went under fetal distress and had to be vacuumed extracted and I had to have a huge episotomy. I don't want to go through that again and I think the epi and them making me stay in bed had a huge part in that.
June 26th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I decided on a home birth because I don't want to end up with a C-section if I can possibly avoid it.

In the hospital, 1 in 4 women get C-sections!
Homebirths, it is more like 1 in 50.

I just do not want to be cut open and have to take WEEKS and weeks to heal, I have responsibilities and things to do that I can't just take two weeks off from life.

June 26th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyInWaiting Send a message via MSN to LadyInWaiting
My Dh asked me years ago not get an epideral. It scares him. And I have had a spinal tap before and would not like another needle in my back. So for me it was just a decision between me and DH.

June 28th, 2006, 07:07 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My Mom had one medicated birth and the rest of us (3) naturally. She always raved about her natural births and how much she loved them. It was growing up with that mindset that childbirth doesn't have to hurt that really there was no other choice for me. I wanted to be as prepared as possible and decided that hypnobirthing was the way for me to go. It was wonderful! The best experience of my life! Everyone thought I was crazy when I said I was going to go naturally and that I could never do it which was even more motivation for me. You know its a wonderful birth when as soon as you're done you can't wait to do it again! People still think I'm crazy, if only they knew what it could really be like!

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search