Natural childbirth in a hospital?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Regular
Quote:
Again, they can't MAKE you do or not do anything. We have the NPO order here at my hospital too. We just walk in with our minicooler anyways. lol! What are they gonna do, pump my stomach or dig it outta my mouth? lol. Sorry, I am a little bit stubborn of a patient.[/b]
I'm stubborn too!! I was thinking that was one thing I wouldn't make an issue... I'd just eat and drink anyway. If they get onto me for it... who cares. I'm sure I won't be wanting to eat a whole lot anyway... just enough to keep my blood sugar stable.

I'm wondering what they'll want to do with the monitoring too... If it's in my way, I'm liable to strip it off. I know I won't let it prevent me from getting in the shower if I need it for pain relief. But again, hopefully I won't have to be at the hospital very long since I live close by... I just don't want to wait too long and have the baby in the car!
July 25th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Regular
With my first child I was induced. I was hooked up to all sorts, and made to have an epidural due to blood pressure. It was a horrid experience. So with my second I went natural... well.. as natural as i could be. I didnt want to go to a birthing centre or give birth at home due to the fact my first child stopped breathing an hour after birth and was rushed to NICU. Had it not been 30 seconds up the corridor, she may not have made it. I would be too afraid of something similar happening so a hospital was the only option for me in my eyes.

I did have an IV though, as I had GBS, but it didnt become a problem. By the time they handed the baby to me I realised I had ripped it out of my hand and there was blood everywhere.

But my advice to you is to explain to the docs/nurses/midwives before hand what you do not want to happen. Tell them that everything must be ok'ed by you. My midwife kept saying "do you want pethidine? i'll give you some hold on!" no matter how much i was saying no to everything she was offering me she kept on asking. Next time I will say "do not offer me anything. if i am in need of something, i will ask".

Just make sure they realise that YOU are in charge, and this is YOUR experience. If you go in with that attitude I dont believe that the fact you are giving birth in a hospital will make any difference!
July 28th, 2006, 03:08 AM
Super Mommy
Yea, just refuse the darn thing. There really is no need for it...you won't bedome dehydrated if you drink between contractions. It's better if you eat and drink anyway. I was on a "no i.v." policy with my MW, but....I have a heart condition that I have to take certain antibiotics for during labor therefore I have to be on and I.V. once I get to the hospital Bleh...but it's neccessary. I'll be laboring at home most of the time so I'm not too bent out of shape for it since it'll only be a little while I'll have to wear it and she said I can still get in the tub with it YAY! So basically, it's not going to hinder me. And any nurse that comes in with a suspicous looking bag of fluids to add to my I.V. will be....well, we won't go there
July 30th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Super Mommy
All 3 of my children were birthed in a hospital and all 3 were totally natural.

I required an IV with my 3rd child, but only because I was GBS.

Belle.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search