Natural childbirth in a hospital?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2006, 09:12 AM
illinoismommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has anyone accomplished this? We live too far from the hospital for me to feel comfortable with homebirth (45 minutes) and I don't think there is a birthing center around here, but I still need to do some checking. There are some things I really want.... like NO iv.... I am afraid a hospital will insist. Thoughts?
Baby expected January 2nd, 2010!

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason
June 25th, 2006, 10:50 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
I have had 4 hospital births (3 labors) and the two things I think are very important are:

Finding a supportive birthing team (doctor or midwife)
Writing an adequate birthplan

One thing to remember - they cannot FORCE you to agree to any medical procedure and they cannot REFUSE to help you birth your baby. Both of those are legally secured statements.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
June 25th, 2006, 11:22 AM
magilatuzzi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to magilatuzzi
all 3 of mine (4 soon) were natural hosp births...

DS Drew, 04/94, DS Braden, 10/97, DS Nick, 07/99, DD Danika 07/06, DD Gabriella 11/07,
DSD Rayelle 03/97, DSD Seryna, 06/01
</div>
June 25th, 2006, 12:19 PM
illinoismommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They can't force an IV on me? I don't understand why I need it, none of the people in homebirths or in the books I am reading have one.... if they say its "hospital policy" what do I say?
Baby expected January 2nd, 2010!

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason
June 25th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
If I were you, I would find several birth plans from women who have successfully "gone natural" and copy them, or add and subtract what you want from them, but use them as a guide.

I said I would be OK for a heplock... that's wher they put the needle in with the tube open and take it on your hand... if they need to put an IV in for some reason later, all they have to do is hook it up to the back of your hand since the first part is ready. It is in case of emergency need for narcotics or medicine, I assume.

I decided to do a little give and take when having my first DD at the hospital. Since I was putting off most things they expected (no epidural, no narcotics, no episiotomy, no nitrate, no hep vax for baby, etc etc etc) I decided there were a few thigns Id be ok with in return.

What it boils down to is submitting your birth plan to your OB, and talkinga bout how feasible your requests are. And talking to other women who have delivered at your hospital to see if their birth plans were followed.

I know places will say "hospital policy", but really, very few things like IV are"policy". There is a LOT you can refuse. Just find out how your hospital works.

And get a doula, she can advocate for you and inform you of anything the staff claims is policy that isnt, or interventions that they want to do that are truly not necessary.

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

June 25th, 2006, 02:00 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Both of mine were natural hospital births

I agree with what others have said.

If someone says "well its hospital policy" just say "well its my body". What are they gonna do, kick you out? As far as the IV goes you can compromise and just get a heplock. Then the needle is in your arm ready to go but you arent hooked up to an IV bag unable to move.

I think a good support system that will back you up(doula, your DH or mom) and a birth plan are key.

As find out how supportive your OB is. Do they normal induce patients (inductions often, not not always, lead to epidurals)? What is thier c-sec rate? How do they feel about natural birhs? Since you are so early in the pregnancy if your OB is not supportive then find one that is

June 26th, 2006, 07:23 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto what Tyler said. IF they say thats hospital policy, you can say "thats nice - but Im still declining the IV" or be a little more blunt and say "I understand, and I also have the right to refuse".

Just KNOWING that you are informed usually makes them back off. The "its policy" will work on almost every mom that isnt aware of her right to refuse.

But talk about it with the dr first. I was able to easily convince mine to no IV - among other things. He seemed hesitant about the IV more than anything - so I offered to compromise and do a hep lock. He was relieved, agreed, and was much happier to concede on other things (food, water, etc).

Some of the things that I have found a lot of opposition to in our area, and that contributes to most women having a more difficult time going natural as a doula is:
Food & Water (they love the NPO and get the most hostile about this)
Catheters (theyd rather that than let you get out of bed)
No getting out of bed after your water has broken (they cant force this on you either)
Managed labor techniques -you must dilate 1 cm every 1 - 2 hours, otherwise pitocin is administered.
Constant monitoring unless you get a really rebellious nurse who will turn a blind eye lol.
No showering, etc until 2 hours after the baby is born - *** EVER!

So talk to your dr, talk to doulas in your area, theyre a great source of information - theyre usually familiar with most drs and most of the common problems with the local hospital. Itll help you be prepared, and youll know what things youll likely find opposition to. Stress during labor can slow or stall labor, and thats where I see most of my clients ending up asking for medication - they get really upset, stall out, dont make progress, start doubting their bodies, start losing patience, and it becomes harder to encourage moms in that mindset.

Good luck,

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
June 26th, 2006, 07:42 AM
aihsela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to aihsela Send a message via MSN to aihsela
I just had a natural birthing class Saturday and this was brought up (I'm gonna try a natural birth in a hospital also). She said (the doula that works for the hospital that was giving the class) that when you go into labor and check in..they will see if your are dehydraded. If you are..they will want to give you an IV with fluids..she said don't resist this because it will help you. She said we cannot drink enough to get hydrated on our own. She said what we should do is if we need an IV for some fluids to insist on a hep-lock...you can still move around..sit on the ball..etc. You just can't go into the shower. After awhile (about 30min I think she said) she said you can request the hep-lock to be disconnected if they think you have enough fluid. This leave an access to you vein incase they need one. Then she said after it's disconnected..make sure you drink plenty on your own (gatorade, juice, water). Hope this helps.
June 26th, 2006, 08:16 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
You can always refuse, like the other ladies have said.

As for the reason for an IV, it has many. One is then they already has access, should it be needed, but beware, it is then an easy thing for them to administer drugs. Sometimes what happens is you will be told of things that they are doing as they are doing them, this is suppose to be the informed consent, but it isn't if they are already doing them before you can respond.

I would say if you don't want an IV, just refuse it, and drink lots. It is possible to not be dehydrated if you drink a lot. What I do and what I advise clients, between each ctx have some more water.

June 26th, 2006, 09:10 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a natural birth in the hospital. They were wonderful with every wish I had--they were also very familiar with hypnobirthing (the method I chose) and I had a great nurse who was very pro natural birth. I did have an IV because I was dehydrated and needed fluids. They never once asked if I wanted pain killers or what my pain level was. After I had my baby I had a fever and they left the heplock for a few hours in case it didn't go down on its own and I needed antibiotics. Just stick to your guns, have someone who knows your wishes there to advocate for you.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

June 30th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Regular
I feel exactly the same way. I feel very strongly about a NATURAL medication free birth, but have no birthing centers near where we live. I gave birth to my first daughter in our local hospital here and I kept saying " No IV" between contractions. They came in about 4 or 5 times to administer one and I kept refusing. The nurses kept saying " Its procedure its procedure you have to have one" but I had done my research and I knew that I didnt have one at all. I got out of bed and asked the receptionist where the showers were and i got in and labored in there no medication, no monitors it was wonderful. The shower was my natural epidural. Not only did I dialate VERY QUICKLY in the shower, it made the pain bearable for me. I never ever though twice about asking for any meds. The nurse kept checking me in the shower and in 57 minutes of showering i had dialated 4-10 and was ready to push. When i went back to the delivery room to deliver her, they tried again to give me and IV. I was very impatient at that point and missed the comfort of the water, so I started yelling, I am already 10!!!! Its too late. . i dont need anything!! I pushed for about 20 mins and out she came. It was wonderful.

The things i did wrong were not discussing my feelings about having a natural birth at prior doctors appointments so my doctor did not know that i was planning on that. And i did not have a birth plan. Just communicate really well with doctors and nurses and have a bitrh plan if possible and good luck. If you dont want that IV DONT GET IT!!! The choice is yours honey and good luck!!

July 1st, 2006, 12:25 AM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've delivered all 4 of my children in hospitals & thankfully have been pretty much left alone. My last delivery was 1 mid, my husband, no dr's, low lighting, massage, everyone quiet, there was no drama when he came out hand presentation, he was put on my chest & just left there. Cord clamped, but not cut. It was my dream delivery
I don't understand the concept of pregnant women needing IV's because they're 'dehydrated', unless it's proven that they actually are...
Why is it that all labouring women seem to be dehydrated?? Sounds like an excuse to get some intervention going, but that's just me...
They tried to get an IV in with my first, stuffed it up & I got very annoyed & told them to leave me alone. Thankfully since then I've never had any trouble. Even with my 2nd child were my waters broke 3 days before I had her. If you don't introduce any 'foreign bodies' to the birth canal the actual chance of infection is minimal. She was born 3 days later no problems, no IV.
IMO if you don't need an IV (not a hep-lock, though I don't like them either..) then having one kinda defeats the purpose of having a natural labour, because you're already hooked up to something, restricted, & at the hospital's mercy.
I think that a big part of having a natural labour in a hospital & having it go the way that you want it to is to be your own advocate. Know what you want & stick by it

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3, DD November 2013
July 1st, 2006, 06:46 PM
MommieinNC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
IF they say thats hospital policy, you can say "thats nice - but Im still declining the IV" or be a little more blunt and say "I understand, and I also have the right to refuse".[/b]
When I had my daughter back in 2001, it was the hospitals policy to cath anyone who got an epidural... They tried to insist I have one, but I refused saying the exact words above... "That's nice... and I understand it's your policy, but I have the right to refuse, and I am refusing a folly cath that remains in for hours."

They couldn't do anything after that point...
July 2nd, 2006, 12:17 AM
UndaCovaSis's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think alot of people already said everything I wanted to say.

As a natural birth veteran (homebirth), I can say that you can do it without an IV, but you should probably drink lots of juice. My midwife would have me sip juice after every contraction. I wanted to have just water because I never drink juice but she really made me drink. After the birth I had hemmoraged (I think she said 80 or 800 ccs??), and she REALLY made me drink several cups of juice. In fact, they couldn't get a PP IV in me because of my blood veins, but the midwife said it was okay because of all the juice I ate.

I suggest having lots of nuts, rasins, DATES (yummyyy) and other dried fruits for the birth because they are high calorie and with dates they help keep your sugars and energy up.

So Crunchy
July 2nd, 2006, 03:42 PM
I don't know. I read this thread awhile ago but keep revisiting it because I keep THINKING of sharing something - but don't. So, in order to keep myself from haunting this thread forever, I will say it.

What UndaCovaSis said was great advice. I have always drank Gaterade, water, and eaten dried fruit (since my hunger NEVER lets up during any stage of labor) for the same reasons - hydrationg PLUS sugars and electrolytes. Also, the Vit C in fruits and juices helps to metabolize your system in case you do loose blood - and aids in tissue repair.

I am adamantely AGAINST IVs (even heplocks) for many reasons. Some are smaller like: I have a sensitivity to the tape they use AND paper tape even irritates my skin, they are uncomfortable, they are artificial, they limit me, etc... But, some of my reasons are bigger:

It is a line. And a line is tempting to medical professionals to put something IN it (medications, pitocin, SOMETHING).

And my biggest reason: using IV fluids (ringers - dextrose and saline) to hydrate a woman increase the mother's chances of high glucose levels in maternal blood as well as a rapid rise in insulin levels in moms and hyperinsulinemia in newbons. These babies also have higher rates of becoming acidotic. Basically - mom and baby become hypoglycemic - at least temporarily - if not permanently.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
July 4th, 2006, 02:38 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had four hospital births. I only had an IV for one.
I'll write nore after NAK.
July 4th, 2006, 03:05 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't see any reason at all for laboring moms to need an IV. Personally I am terrified of IV's I hate them and would go through childbirth anyday over getting an IV.
With my first I got one as soon as I walked in the door. hospital policy. I didn't know any better. I had what Brandy said happen to me. We are just gonna give you something to help you realx as they are pumping it into your IV. <grr>
MY second failed a NST and I had to get an IV because they thought I was dehydrated. iwarned them that i have a serious phobia of IV"s. It took them three times I throw up and passed out by the time they were finished. When I passed out the baby's heart rate dropped to 60. I ended up getting induced, well i got cervidal and in the morning I was 3 so she broke my water adn iwent into labor. Any who my IV fell out in the middle of the night and none of the nurses would dare put it back in. lol thankfully Ididn't end up needing pit.
my third and fourth IV's were never mentioned. I had an amazing midwife.
I think that is the most important part is finding someone who you completely trust because you can do what others have siad but you are going to piss people off and then they are going to treat you bad and you don't want or need that. Get involved in your natural birthing community. Talk to doula's that really believe in natural birth and get refferals to midwifes not medwifes.
July 8th, 2006, 01:01 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
I have accomplished this 4 times so far, and am going for once more. The first 3 times I had to fight like mad with nurses and OB's to follow my wishes. Seemed every time I blinked an eye they were offering meds that I clearly told them a million times before I did NOT want. Well in my first labor, they ended up giving it to me anyway!! It was like Stadol, but that wasn't the name of it............anyway, it slowed my labor causing them to have to up the pitocin PLUS have a furious patient to deal with. Luckily the effects wore off quickly. The nurse later said she was looking out for my best interest seeing as I had been in painful labor for 20 hours at that time. That nurse was not allowed back in my room.

Anyway, the 2nd and 3rd time weren't quite as hard, but I still had to repeat my self several several times as the docs were urging me to take something for the pain so I would "be more relaxed" or in other words, i'd shut the heck up and let the rest of the hopsital sleep lol.

My 4th time around though I saw a midwife and I think that's what made the world of difference. She helped me write out my birthplan beforehand, and I stated in it that I do not want to be offered any meds at all, and even if I asked for meds that I wanted her to remind me that I really don't want them and can do this and to help me with other self relief methods. Luckily that labor went so quick i didn't ask for anything until 2 minutes before he was born at which point she just kinda laughed at me lol.

So anyway, yes a hospital NCB is totally possible, just be prepared to fight for it. I would make out a birth plan and take it with you and be sure every soul that enters your room gets a copy i dont care if its a janitor lol.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

July 8th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Regular
What has your experience been with hospitals who have the no food/only ice chips rule?

My hospital has the no food / only ice chips rule. I don't have any options here - in Missouri midwifery has so many legal restrictions that home birth is rare and birthing centers don't exist. I'm planning to stay at home as long as possible since I'm 5 minutes away. I was thinking I wouldn't even bring it up... I'd just smuggle my snacks and drinks in and do it anyway. The way I see it, I don't need their permission to feed and hydrate myself. Any thoughts?

They do offer a hep lock as a compromise to an IV, which I don't think I would mind in case there is an unforseen emergency.
July 9th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Again, they can't MAKE you do or not do anything. We have the NPO order here at my hospital too. We just walk in with our minicooler anyways. lol! What are they gonna do, pump my stomach or dig it outta my mouth? lol. Sorry, I am a little bit stubborn of a patient.

Bellies & Babies Blogger

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search