What surprised you the most?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
What surprised you the most about your non-medicated birth (whether home, birth center, or hospital)? I wanted to go natural with my son but had very little support (and poor dh was relieved when I asked for the epi finally because we were ill-equipped to deal with the stupid medicine they gave me to get my contractions started). But this time I AM delivering at a birth center (unless something emergent happens). I'm not giving myself the option of chickening out and going to the hospital for an epi. I don't like the effects the epi had on ds (slowed hb, lowered my blood pressure, and he wouldn't bf for 14 hours). I've done some research since then and read in the Physicians Desk Reference that the epi DOES in fact cross the placenta! So I want nothing to do with that...and we had already decided against IV drugs with ds because we knew they crossed the placenta.

So scare me. I need to be prepared.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
June 26th, 2006, 04:19 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
I had read and was told by many birthing women that pushing felt good and was a relief. I disagree. In my experience, pushing was the most difficult part, and the one I feel the most anxiety about! But I did know how to push correctly, which was good.

Ill have to think of more.

Take a Bradley Method birthing class with your husband. Its a great way to get him educated and on board, and you learn a LOT about birth, way more than in books.

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

June 26th, 2006, 04:45 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Wow that's weird. I was about to post about pushing too (before I noticed Emo's post).

The thing that surprised me was that I liked pushing. I had a short (15-20 minute) 2nd stage (pushing) with all 4. And, the harder I pushed, the better it felt. I was actually able to experience the birthing O with two of them.

Ummm... something else that surprised me was how shaky I was. My second was posterior and I shook like a leaf for the last couple hours of active labor. When I would vocalize, my shaking was so bad I sounded like a sheep "baa"ing.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
June 26th, 2006, 05:00 AM
Veteran
What surprised me the most is that I could not have done it by myself. In that, if I hadn't had such a WONDERFUL nurse telling me exactly when to push (and making me push even when I said I coudn't anymore) and when to rest I don't know that I could have done it naturally.

GOOD LUCK,
Stephanie
June 26th, 2006, 05:22 AM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With DS the thing that surprised me the most was that I could actually do it. Up until the last 3 weeks of my pregnancy I was sure I was getting an epi. Then after a great child birth class I changed my mind and I'm so happy I did.

With DD the thing that surprised me the most was that I went from 4cm to almost 9cm in 20mins and then 10 mins later my body was pushing before the dr/nurses even had everything set up. It went so fast!

Oh and I also love pushing. This time I actually remember feeling all of Sierras body come out. It was AMAZING!

June 26th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I was surprised at how incredibly good I felt right after he was born, like I could go out and run a marathon right then. I had felt good and recovered easily from Ani's medicated birth, but it was nothing like after Cameron's.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 26th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'd have to say the "Birth O" surprised me the most
July 8th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Regular
I also had a unmedicated birth and was very surprised at how much energy I had after she came out. i was laughing and thanking God and the doctors and the nurses and my mom and and my hubby and saying how lucky i was to have a healthy beautiful baby girl and was like totally on adrenaline but I was acting like I was on street drugs!!! I couldnbt wait to feed her and hold her and kiss her. I didnt want to sleep cuz i ddint want to miss anything about her! I think natural is the ONLY way to go for me because your body is sooooo meant to do this

July 12th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Susieb's Avatar Just doing the next thing
I was surprised at how much energy I had after all my children were born. I was surprised at how much my body shook and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I was always surprised when their gender was announced as we never found out beforehand.

I am still surprised that I forget almost instantly how much pain is involved in birthing a baby. I am surprised that I am always catching the baby bug within months of the baby's birth.
Elianna Sarah born 5.4.11

July 12th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I Smile Because Of Them's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was surprised at how different my 2 natural births were! I was induced with Pitocin with my first, & the pain came on so suddenly I don't remember anything really. With my second, I labored for hours, & actually remember the pain of the contractions because they were more spread out...I was really shakey with #2 & cried during the contractions. And the horrible ring of fire with ds#2. I don't remember that all all with my first, but holy crap do I with my second. Dh says he remembers me saying something about it while pushing my first, but it all happened too quickly. I also had back labor with my first, & front with my second. But I agree about feeling great afterwards. I did too much housework the next day {we were released on the 2nd day with #2} & I felt it later though. I was also surprised at how easy my first bowel movement was after the delieveries..sorry TMI But all I heard was how painful it was, & mine were easy...I was dreading them from hearing all the bad stuff about it, but it was fine. I told dh after the first one that I felt like I could run for miles after

July 12th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
For Fritz's birth (had him at home yesterday) I was surprised that I never got an urge to push and was surprised just how much the "ring of fire" really burned. I was also surprised at the difference I feel in my bottom comparing not pushing with Cameron and pushing (for 20 minutes) with Fritz even though I needed one stitch after Cameron's birth and none after Fritz's (just have a skid mark). It hurts way worse this time around.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 12th, 2006, 02:44 PM
I Smile Because Of Them's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never had the urge to push with my 2nd either. I kept waiting for it to come, & it never did. They checked me, & told me I could. Prior to that, I had been sitting in bed doing little pushes to see if it felt "better"

July 13th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
I never had the urge to push with my 2nd either. I kept waiting for it to come, & it never did. They checked me, & told me I could. Prior to that, I had been sitting in bed doing little pushes to see if it felt "better" [/b]
I'm soooooooo in this same boat to be honest. **Also...all 3 of my births were COMPLETELY NATURAL**

With my first two children, (who are now 17 and 14 years old), I had the urge to push and it felt great!!! It was like a huge relief to push and feel them moving down the birth canal!!

However, with my son which I had just 5 weeks ago, I didn't have the urge to push. I knew when I was having my contractions...but I just didn't get that same "urge to push" as I did with my previous two. (Perhaps it's the age I'm at now? I dunno).

Anyways...I too had a great midwife who was there, pretty much in my face, telling me when to push and how to push!! Without her I don't think things would have gone as smoothly as they did.

One other thing that surprised me was when I got to the stage where I felt nauseas and threw up, I also broke my water and my son seemed to totally shoot really far down the birth canal. It scared the heck out of me and I actually closed my legs as I thought he was gonna fall right out.

I think that this was kind of traumatic to my body as it wasn't a 'gradual' process, so my body didn't get time to open up slowly. It was like one minute he seemed to be up fairly high and the next minute he was ready to come out.

I ended up with 2nd degree tears as well as what my midwife called "road rash". ~ It's been 5 weeks today that my son was born and I'm 'still' healing from the birth process.

Would I change how I did things though?

NOT A CHANCE!!!

Belle.
July 14th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
well, i guess what suprised me the most was how fast it all was happening, and at how clear headed i was. i never felt for one second that i lost control.

i was also suprised at the noise i made. i was doing this low moan/humm thing through every rush, and it sure helped me.

i was suprised at how nice the birthing pool made me feel after i got in. it was such a huge relief to have the mobility back. and even when you think you are in the best position. it is amazing how it feels to change it up. i ended up giving birth in a kneeling position, and it was awesome!!

i was also amazed at how it felt to pass Lily through the canal. when her head came out, i experienced such an amazing feeling ( i think the birthing O) it was a trip!!!!

i was suprised at the shakes i got... and i was soooo hot~

and i guess i was amazed at how afterwards, you really dont think of anything but how in love you are. all that work was nothing when you are holding your baby in your arms~~

and i know this is SUPER chessy/... but i think the best thing fo rme, that nobody prepared me for.. was how much i could fall deeper in love with my husband. seeing him holding her with tears in his eyes.. noone had prepared me for that!!!

good luck.. and have FUN!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search