NCB and Weight

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2011, 10:41 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Hello everyone,

So, I am wondering if anyone else went into pregnancy overweight?

After our wedding, I gained almost 40lbs in a short amount of time! (perhaps no more stress trying to fit into the dress) and then I fell pregnant. I have gained 30lbs with this pregnancy, and it is definitely started to wear on my body. My knees are really hurting on stairs, when sitting down or getting up.

I have not had any problems (GD, blood pressure, etc) except for the fact that I have consistently measured 4-6 weeks ahead of dates (exterior fundal measurement). I am thinking it is just from the weight or baby position because baby measured right on with dates.

Anyone else out there in the same boat as me? I am worried how this may effect my ability to have a NCB. I am confident in my body's ability though- extra weight or not- so hopefully that is enough.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
July 21st, 2011, 10:47 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went into my second pregnancy not having lost the weight from my first pregnancy, lol. I was about 50 pounds overweight. I gained 30 pounds during pregnancy, and gave birth weighing 234. It did not affect my NCB, however. My 9 pound 12 ounce son was a far easier delivery than my daughter who was 2 pounds lighter I don't feel like being overweight hindered my ability to birth the way I wanted at all.

I will say that I wasn't able to push well from a squatting position, though. I ended up delivering on my right side, which was the best position I've ever tried. Worked like a charm!

Good luck! I know you'll do great!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

July 21st, 2011, 10:51 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I haven't been "skinny" in 10 years. I went into my NCB with some extra baggage... ok, quite a bit of it lol! I had a NCB and a 10.8lb baby and my weight didn't have any effect on anything at all! Women come in all shapes and sizes and babies are just meant to come out regardless! I wouldn't worry about it at all!

Facebook
July 21st, 2011, 11:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was overweight going into all 3 of my pregnancies (I've started each around the same weight) and with my first 2, I gained 50lbs each. I had a NCB with my second (my first was born at a hospital and I didn't intend to try for a natural birth) and the extra weight didn't have an effect on my labor or birth. This time I'm up 30lbs right now (I started off the pregnancy 5lbs more than I did my other 2) and I don't expect it to be a problem. It may be a little higher than the average, but I'm not too worried about it. I've been able to drop the weight each time and get back to my pre-pregnancy weight, and I'm hoping this time will be the same.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

July 21st, 2011, 12:03 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I was 232lbs going into and coming out of my first pregnancy. That is about 60lbs over my ideal-weight upper limit for my height (5'10"). I did not gain any weight in the pregnancy, but obviously being 60lbs overweight to start, I did not need to. And I had a wonderful natural childbirth that did not seem to be affected AT ALL by my size. I actually had not gone into the childbirth planning it to be natural and it ended up being an awesome, empowering experience (and all natural). So I don't think it matters your size, as long as you are keeping yourself as healthy as you can during the pregnancy.

This time, I went into the pregnancy about 5lbs over my upper weight limit (176) and have gained 20lbs as of today. I am confident that I will be just fine in labor, being overweight again and yet still healthier than my previous pregnancy. I think that anyone can have a natural childbirth as long as they are adaquately prepared. Overweight women can be healthier overall than "skinny" or normal weight women. As far as strength, muscle power, and general health. So it is possible that as long as you are taking care of yourself, you are in a better position than a smaller woman who is not taking as good of care of herself in pregnancy (this has been proven by research, I did not just pull it outta my behind )
July 21st, 2011, 01:41 PM
ToriLeigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I don't even want to say how much I weighed, but I was significantly overweight with both of my ncb's and I had no issues. The first time around, I didn't measure ahead, but with my two boys, I was 3-4 weeks ahead the whole pregnancy and they were 7 lbs 8 oz and 8 lb 4 oz, so I think it was just the extra 20 pounds I started with and the fact that it wasn't my first pregnancy that made me measure big.

July 21st, 2011, 01:58 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I've never been a normal weight since I hit puberty. I was right about 200ish going into each pregnancy (all three NCB)

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 21st, 2011, 03:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm definitely on the chunky side and I had 2 successful NCBs (first at a hospital and second at home). I gained 20lbs with Lily and around 14lbs with Violet and lost the baby weight easily both time, but I'm still overweight. My weight didn't effect either pregnancy at all.

July 21st, 2011, 03:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm only a little overweight - and I had no problems. I'm glad to hear everyone's take on this! Yay! Power to the curvy girls! - I was interested in this tread because I was talking to a lady at the train station about her birth and how they almost made her leave the birth center for being 'overweight'. The first doc she saw (who oversaw the birth center) said she needed a csection. She wasn't even that big of a lady!? Anyway - she got her natural birth center birth in the end! Baby came a week and a bit early - while they were still trying to decide what they were going to make her do.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
July 22nd, 2011, 07:26 AM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I lost 120 lbs right before I got pregnant but gained half of that back during pregnancy. I started my pregnancy around 188 and got up to almost 250 (which sadly is where I still am a year later). Not good, I know, but I really didn't have any pregnancy problems except just very slightly elevated BP towards the end (they wrote PIH on my chart but no doctor or nurse ever said anything to me about it). I had a drug free hospital birth - the only issues my weight caused were that they had a hard time getting the stupid EFM to stay where it needed to. I could have cared less because I didn't want them in the first place but I think the nurses were getting frustrated. And I wonder if I had been in better shape if I'd have had more energy to walk around or labor in different positions which might have made it a little quicker and easier. Once I was in that bed I really didn't want to get up plus I was exhausted, so I doubt it would have made a lot of difference but I suppose it could have helped.

July 23rd, 2011, 05:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes. Ironically I was at my heaviest ever at my wedding(1 year ago) and lost about 15 lbs after using Nutrisystem. My goal was to lose another 25 lbs, But got pregnant in November.

It sucks, I think I may have passed "overweight" and landed in "obese" territory. Never had this problem in my life. Believe it or not, I've always been considered too skinny and have even been accused of being anorexic. Not anymore.

I hurt all over, could be the weight, could be the pregnancy...

Tags
natural birth , obese , overweight , weight problem

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search