Birth Plans

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 28th, 2006, 07:42 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
I thought it would be neat to have a thread to post all of our birthplans (preferences). This could be a help to first timers along with allowing for good discussion for the why's of certain points. I will leave it up to everyone else to start posting as my birth plan is in the OTHER computer, which we have not set up yet (since we moved 2 weeks ago).

Bellies & Babies Blogger
June 28th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I actually don't have a birth plan. I didn't have one last time either. My midwife then and, even more so, my midwife now and I are totally on the same wavelength of how we want labor and birth to go.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 28th, 2006, 08:18 AM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Induction:

*As long as baby and I are healthy I prefer to go 7-10 days over my due date
*If I go past my due date and the baby and I are fine, I prefer to go into labor naturally rather than be induced.
*If induction becomes necessary, I would like to try natural induction techniques first (with the guidance of my practitioner)
*Natural induction techniques I would like to try
*Breast stimulation
*Walking
*Sexual intercourse
*Herbs

Labor & Delivery

*I would like my husband and mother to be allowed with me at all times.
*I would like to be able to move around the room freely.
*I would like to be able to use the shower/birthing tub
*I prefer minimal internal exams
*I prefer only to be monitored externally, intermittently
*I do NOT want any pain medication. Please do not offer it to me. If I feel I need it, I will ask for it.
* I prefer to have no episiotomy and risk tearing (unless I'm having a medical emergency)
* To help prevent tearing, please apply:
* Warm compresses
* Perineal massage
* Encourage me to breathe properly for slower crowning
* I would like to push instinctively. I do not want to be told how or when to push
* As long as my baby is healthy, I would like my baby placed immediately on my abdomen following the birth.
* Please wait for the umbilical cord to stop pulsating before it is clamped.
* Please allow my husband to cut the umbilical cord.
*I would prefer for the placenta to be born spontaneously without the use of pitocin, and/or manual extraction.

Cesarean Delivery

*If a C-Section is not an emergency, please give us time alone to think about it before asking for our written consent
*My husband is to be present at all times during the c-section
*Ideally, I would like to remain conscious during the procedure
*I would like the baby to be shown to me immediately after it's born.
*I would like to have contact with the baby as soon as it is possible in the delivery room.
*If possible I would like my husband to cut the cord.
*After baby is born I would like my husband to be with the baby at all times.

Newborn Procedures

*If the baby has any problems, I would like my husband to be present with the baby at all times, if possible
*I would like all newborn routine procedures to be performed in my presence
*Please bathe my baby after we have had time to bond with it
*My baby is to be exclusively breastfed
*Please do NOT offer formula or pacifiers without my consent
*I would like full rooming in, no separation, unless my baby is sick.

June 29th, 2006, 07:51 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Well, here's mine:

Quote:
As students of the Bradley Method, our goal is to have a natural, unmedicated childbirth. Nicole has been practicing good nutrition, exercise, and relaxation techniques to make this goal a reality. We have created the following birth plan to help Brenda Daniels, CNM and the Spectrum Butterworth Hospital Staff to understand our preferences for the birth of our child.

DRUG-FREE LABOR

We are planning on using natural methods to control/minimize pain: changing positions, massage, hydrotherapy, and other relaxation techniques. We are both fully aware of pain medication options and request that medication NOT be offered, unless a cesarean is needed. We are aware of these options, and will request them if we feel it is necessary.

MINIMAL INTERVENTIONS/MONITORING

We understand that AROM is helpful in speeding up labor. Please do NOT perform an amniotomy unless first discussed and agreed upon by myself and my birth team. I would like labor to progress naturally and ask that Pitocin and other labor induction and augmentation techniques not be used unless there is a true medically emergent reason for such and only after other non-synthetic ways have been discussed and attempted. In the event that induction seems necessary, we will not agree to Cytotec administration.

We have chosen to opt for the initial 20 minute strip at admission, but opt OUT of any other fetal monitoring by any other means but Doppler unless the baby shows signs of distress. We have also chosen to opt out of routine vaginal exams and would like them only at admission, before pushing, and as requested or deemed necessary by Brenda or ourselves. We will not need an IV for fluids as we will be monitoring Nicole’s oral intake and output to ensure adequate hydration. For this same reason, she has also opted out of a heparin lock.

PUSHING

We have researched the benefits and risks of episiotomy and have decided against the use of an episiotomy. Nicole would prefer the assistance of Brenda and Lisa with the use of warm compresses, perineal massage, counter pressure on perineum, communication on when to gentle birth, and spontaneous pushing to allow stretching and reduce the risk of tearing.

We are excited at the prospect of choosing our own position to push in, including squatting, all fours, standing, or side-lying. We also look forward to a quiet birth – Nicole does not want anyone counting-off pushes. For this same reason, we also request that no unnecessary personnel be present – only our direct birthing team.

IMMEDIATELY AT BIRTH and TIME TO BOND

Calvin would like the opportunity to catch his baby with Brenda’s assistance, pending there are no issues keeping him from it.

The first few moments after birth are so important to the family for so many reasons. Nicole is eager to start breastfeeding immediately to aid in placental delivery and to slow bleeding. For this reason, we request our baby be placed immediately into Nicole’s arms, without clamping or cutting of the cord. We would like to wait until after the cord has ceased pulsing before clamping or cutting it. Briaunna, our daughter, would like the opportunity to cut the umbilical cord when the time comes. We would also like to avoid mucous suctioning for our baby unless he is showing distress.

We prefer to use skin to skin contact for body heat regulation and would prefer that baby not be ‘rubbed down’. We will be massaging his vernix caseosa into his skin for natural moisturizing purposes.

We request that all newborn checks be done after an initial period of bonding and breastfeeding is allowed. We also request those checks be done in the room and immediately next to mom unless there is reason to have otherwise. We have chosen to opt out of either Silver Nitrate or Erythromycin. We have also opted not to have the routine Vitamin K injection administered unless forceps or vacuum have been used to assist in the birth.

Finally, we plan not to be separated from our baby throughout our stay, including father rooming in. When hearing tests and other newborn tests are needed, we request that either Calvin or Nicole accompany him at all times. Please, also, no pacifiers, bottles, or sugar water at any time. If, for some reason, baby is taken to the nursery, please bring him to Nicole for ALL feedings. We are also opting to NOT circumcise our child in the event it is a boy.

IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY

We would like to be informed of any problems and their associated risks if/when we come to that. We would also like to know of our options in each case. In the event time allows, we would like time to make informed, final decisions together with our full birth team.

MISCELLANEOUS

We are planning on allowing our two older daughters, Briaunna and Kairi, the opportunity to witness this amazing life-event if they so desire. They will have their own care-giver with them at all times, Kathy Bentley. Our labor support person, Lisa Miller, will be the only other non-medical person allowed in our room during labor and birth. Please do not patch phone calls through to our room. Please, also, do not give our room number out to any other person until after the birth.

CLOSING THOUGHTS

We realize no natural event can be scripted and are confident that our birth team will discuss the benefits and risks of any procedure recommended if special circumstances arise. The health and well being of the baby and mother are our top priority, and we trust all decision will be made with this as the most important consideration. Thank you for supporting us in our efforts to make this a safe and wonderful event![/b]

Tyler, I like your outlining of preferences for labor induction. What is your docs/midwives POV on herbs? Does he/she think it is a valid method, worthy of trying? Just wondering.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
June 29th, 2006, 08:32 AM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Tyler, I like your outlining of preferences for labor induction. What is your docs/midwives POV on herbs? Does he/she think it is a valid method, worthy of trying? Just wondering.[/b]
I never asked honestly. They read my birth plan and never commented on it. I had DD at 39w but if I had made it to 40w I probably would have discussed it with him because pitocin was the last thing I wanted.

June 29th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Veteran
Here's mine:

To my Health Care Team,
Thank you for being a part of our care during this exciting experience. We realize that we cannot prepare for all situations, and we know that it is important to remain flexible. We have planned for a best-case scenario and these preferences are listed in accordance with that plan. We are hoping for a natural and unmedicated labor and delivery, and we would love any support and advice you may have to that end. We would also prefer that any and all interventions, including medications, are explained and discussed beforehand.
Thank you for taking the time to read our birth plan, and for being a part of our care.

Labor
o I would like to be free to walk around, get in the shower, and move around and change position at will during labor.
o I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum.
o I would prefer to have my IV hep-locked unless medically necessary.
o We have studied and plan to use the Bradley Method of natural childbirth, which focuses on total relaxation through the labor process. We would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions and accommodations that can be made to assist us in that goal.
Labor Augmentation/Induction: I would prefer to be allowed to try changing position and other natural methods (walking, nipple stimulation) before Pitocin is administered.
Anesthesia/Pain Medication: I prefer not to be offered anesthesia or pain relief unless it is felt to be medically necessary.
Cesarean
o I would like my husband Dan present at all times if my baby requires a Cesarean delivery.
o So I can view the birth, I would like the screen lowered just before delivery of my baby.
Episiotomy:
o I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless there is a medical situation that necessitates it.
o I would appreciate guidance in when to push and when to stop pushing so the perineum can stretch.
Delivery
o I would like to be allowed to choose the position in which I give birth.
o I would like my husband Dan, my mom or other support person and/or nurses to support me and my legs as necessary during the pushing stage.
o I would like a mirror available so I can see my baby's head when it crowns, and I would like the chance to touch my baby's head when it crowns.
o Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming my baby is not in distress, I would like to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
o I would like to have my baby placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery. I would like the initial evaluation to be done there rather than in the warmer.
o I would prefer to have as few people in the room as possible at the time of delivery and the post-partum period.
Immediately After Delivery
o My husband Dan does not wish to cut the cord.
o I would like to hold my baby while I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made.
o I would like to hold my baby for at least fifteen minutes before he is footprinted, examined, etc.
o If my baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, my husband Dan or some other person I designate will accompany my baby at all times.
o I would prefer to hold my baby rather than have him placed under heat lamps.
o After the birth, I would prefer to be given some time to urinate on my own before being catheterized.
o I would like to see the placenta after it is delivered.
Breastfeeding
o I plan to breast-feed my baby and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.
o Unless medically necessary, I do not wish to have any pacifiers or bottles given to my baby (including glucose water or plain water).
Other
o Please discuss any medications and other interventions with us before administering.

July 8th, 2006, 01:21 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
Here is mine........

Labor

I would like to be free to walk around during labor.
I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor.
I would like to be able to have fluids and food by mouth as I wish during any stage of labor.
I will be bringing my own music to play during labor.
I would like the environment to be kept as quiet as possible.
I would like the lights in the room to be kept low during my labor.
I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum.
I do not want IV's at all

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monitoring

I do not wish to have continuous fetal monitoring unless it is required by the condition of my daughter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Labor Augmentation/Induction

I do not wish to have the amniotic membrane ruptured artificially unless signs of fetal distress require internal monitoring.
If labor is not progressing, I would like to have the amniotic membrane ruptured before other methods are used to augment labor.
I would prefer to be allowed to try changing position and other natural methods (walking, nipple stimulation) before pitocin is administered.

Anesthesia/Pain Medication

I do not wish any pain medications be offered to me at any time, if I feel the need for them I will ask. If I ask for pain relief, I would like for midwife to remind me of why I made my choices, as well as offer me other forms of comfort before allowing me to discuss meds again.

Cesarean

Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a Cesarean.
If my primary care provider determines that a Cesarean delivery is indicated, I would like to obtain a second opinion from another physician if time allows.

Episiotomy

I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless absolutely required for the baby's safety.
I am hoping to protect the perineum. I am practicing ahead of time by squatting, doing Kegel exercises, and perineal massage.
If possible, I would like to use perineal massage to help avoid the need for an episiotomy.

Delivery

I would like to be allowed to choose the position in which I give birth, including squatting.
I would like my husband to support me and my legs as necessary during the pushing stage.
I would like my husband to be allowed to be in the birthing tub with me if he wishes. (and of course if I am comfortable enough with him in there at that time)
I would like the chance to touch my daughter's head when it crowns.
Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming my daughter is not in distress, I would like to try to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
I would appreciate having the room lights turned low for the actual delivery.
I would appreciate having the room as quiet as possible when my daughter is born.
I would like to have my daughter placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.
I would like to bring the baby out of the water my self with guidance from the midwife.

Immediately After Delivery

I would prefer to birth the placenta in the tub.
I would like to have my husband cut the cord.
I would prefer that the umbilical cord stop pulsating before it is cut.
I would like to hold my daughter while I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made.
I would like to have my daughter evaluated and bathed in my presence.
I plan to keep my daughter near me following birth and would appreciate if the evaluation of my daughter can be done with my daughter on my abdomen, with both of us covered by a warm blanket, unless there is an unusual situation.
I would prefer to hold my daughter rather than have (him/her) placed under heat lamps.
I do not want a routine injection of pitocin after the delivery to aid in expelling the placenta.

Postpartum

Unless required for health reasons, I do not wish to be separated from my daughter.
I would like to have my daughter 'room in' and be with me at all times.

Breastfeeding

I plan to breastfeed my daughter and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.
I would not like help or interference with the nursing process, if I feel I need help, I will ask for it.
Unless medically necessary and only with my consent first, I do not wish to have any bottles given to my daughter (including glucose water or plain water).
I do not want my daughter to be given a pacifier.

Photo/Video

I would like to take still photographs during labor and the birth.
I would like to make a videorecording of labor and/or the birth.

Other

My support people are my husband and my sister and I would like them to be present during labor and/or delivery. I would not like any other family allowed entrance into my room until I state that I am ready for visitors. And I would like the ringer on the telephone to be shut off during the entire labor and bonding process as well. I will request it be turned on when I am ready.
I would like my other child/ren to be able to visit me and my daughter in the hospital, i would also like my children to be allowed into the delivery room if circumstances arise in which there is no time for a family member to take them.
I would prefer that no students, interns, residents or non-essential personnel be present during my labor or the birth.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

July 12th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Susieb's Avatar Just doing the next thing
Oh, my first post. I love to read people's birth plans. Here is mine for my latest baby born last August.
Birth Plan for Susan, estimate due date July 29 – August 2, 2005

Our goal in the delivery of “Baby Bug” is to have a home style home birth style birth in the hospital. Because of this, I would like my caretakers to be supportive of our decisions and encourage us to follow our birth plan as closely as possible. If any health care providers do not feel like they can be supportive of our decisions, we ask that they pass us onto someone who can be supportive. We desire that “Baby Bug’s” birth be as wonderful as our previous 4 children’s births.

ENVIRONMENT
Modesty is a huge issue with me. In order to maintain as much modesty as possible, I would like the curtain drawn closed and the door closed at all times. If possible, I would like a LDR room that has a couch. During labor, I would like to have all the lights dimmed and have as much peace and quiet as possible. This includes keeping conversations during contractions to a minimum. I will not and cannot be responsible for my reactions if someone insists on talking to me during a contraction.  I would prefer not to receive phone calls during labor, but rather receive messages. Our preference is to have no students involved in our labor or delivery, recovery is fine, but not before.

ACTIVE LABOR
I want the absolute minimum number of vaginal exams. I mean the minimum. I mean the absolute minimum. I will not be consenting to them just so that they can be charted. Feel free to chart that I refused. It won’t be the first time I’ve refused something and it will not be the last. I also DO NOT like to be touched during labor, so best advice, keep your distance from my body.  I do not plan on using any medication for pain relief, but rather breathing, walking and the HOT tub to minimize the pain of labor. Therefore I do not want to be offered or encouraged to use pain medication. I would prefer to be encouraged to walk the halls, rock in a rocking chair, take a bath, sit on a birthing ball in order to encourage labor to progress. I would prefer to eat and drink as I desire during labor. I usually crave red jello (I know, strange) while in labor. Know that I have vomited just about every food at every inconvenient time during pregnancy, once more won’t be an issue. I will refuse and IV or heplock unless it becomes of the utmost necessity. I do not want continuous fetal monitoring unless it becomes a medical necessity. If for some reason, labor slows and pitocin is recommended, I would prefer to try every available natural option to get things back into gear. I would prefer to let the bag of waters rupture on their own.

DELIVERY
I would like the room as dim and as quiet as possible during the actual delivery. I would prefer to have no time restraint put on labor and delivery. I would prefer to be able to push as I feel the urge. Encouragement is OK, but I don’t want to be held back or forced to push when I am not prepared to do either one. I do NOT want a mirror to see the blessed event, I can feel it, and that is enough for me. Sean, my husband, will cut the cord. I would like the baby brought immediately to my chest after delivery. I would like to be able to nurse as soon as I am physically able to do so. I would like to see the placenta after delivery and have it explained to me. In regards to tearing, I would prefer not to, but would prefer to tear over having an episiotomy. I would prefer there be no time constraints put on the delivery of the placenta, as long as I am not in danger of excessive bleeding. While we wait, we can discuss names, because heaven knows, we’ll not have any picked out yet. Well, at least not a girl’s name. Please help us in making sure we get important pictures taken.

C-SECTION
If a c-section becomes necessary, I would like to get a second opinion as time allows. We would also like to be involved in any and all decisions regarding a section. I would like my husband present with me at all times (all times) until the baby is born and then I would like him surgically attached to that baby until Mommy and baby are reunited. I would like to have the drape lowered so I can see the actually delivery. No mirrors, but rather head gently lifted and the drape lowered. If I require a section, I expect a plastic surgeon in there to do a little liposuction and tummy tuck. 

BABY CARE
I would like Sean or I to be able to hold the baby as much as possible instead of being placed in the warmer. I would like Baby Bug to stay in the room for the first few hours after delivery and receive his/her bath in our room. I plan on breastfeeding exclusively so no glucose water or formula please. I plan on placing the baby in the nursery at night and while I am resting during the day, but of course I would like him/her brought to me so that I can nurse, both during the day and at night. If Baby Bug is a boy, we would like him circumcised before we leave the hospital. If you could use some sort of pain relief for me, I mean him during the circ. that would be great.

RECOVERY
If at all possible, I would LOVE to have a real bed and a big Jacuzzi tub during the recovery part of my stay at the hotel Medical Center. I don’t mind switching rooms if I can get both the regular bed and Jacuzzi tub. I would prefer a room that is not close to the nurse’s station as I will, Lord willing, not need a lot of attention after the birth and I can get some more rest that way. I am a rather low maintenance patient. I would like to have a nurse stop in and make sure Baby Bug is latching on properly and to give me a refresher course or two with swaddling the baby before we go home and to answer any questions we may have. I know this is our 5th, we probably won’t have too many questions, but we just want to be sure. Please make sure my room is stocked with robes and gowns and towels. I tend to go through more of these than the normal patient.

VISITORS
We have four other children who will be visiting often. They are wonderful and full of life – Thomas~7, Nathan~4, Abigail~3 and Bethany ~ 1. We will try to keep them quiet and under control, but if they are being a disruption, please bring it to our attention.

BEFORE LEAVING THE HOSPITAL
Before leaving the hospital I would like the opportunity to read over our charts and to document exactly what happened during labor and delivery. This is what happens when you have a Scrapbooker for a patient, she needs to know everything so she can include it in the scrapbook. 

Thank you for helping to make our child’s Birthday special.

Sean and Susan and the entire family

So, will we have a Queens over Kings, or Kings over Queens in our Full House????

I have found that if the birth plan is positive and entertaining, it will be more memorable and the nurse is much more likely to stick to it.

Susieb
Elianna Sarah born 5.4.11

July 14th, 2006, 02:25 AM
lilbluedolphin's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lilbluedolphin Send a message via Yahoo to lilbluedolphin
[b]Thank you for your support in making my childbirth experience and recovery the most comfortable and enjoyable it can be for both me and my son.
<div align="center"><div align="center"></div><div align="center">~~Thank you Samuelsmommy for my adorable siggy~~</div><div align="center">~~Thank you Ragmama for my new blinkies~~</div></span></span></span></span><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div>
July 18th, 2006, 03:25 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mother - Amanda

Father - Eric

Birth Attendant – Tracey Bowman

We believe that pregnancy and birth are a normal process and a medical illness and we have chosen to give birth in a familiar and comfortable environment, our home. We have chosen to have our children at home for the birth. They are to have access to Amanda as much as they feel comfortable with. If things become to intense for any of them than they will be able to stay next door with there grandfather. My Sister-in-law Lori will be here for the birth. My friend Shari may also be here for the birth. They will be in charge of the kids and taking photos.
We are writing this birth plan as an outline of what we how we would like things to go.

 We will notify those attending the birth when labor has started. We will call again when we are ready for them to come.

 We prefer limited internal exams.

 Please help Amanda remember to keep hydrated and to eat as needed. Also please help her remember to keep an empty bladder.

 We are planning on birthing in water. The water heater will be turned up very high please be careful and please help keep the kids away from the sink. The Birth pool will have a hose to empty it and refill it as needed. Amanda would like to give birth in whatever position she is most comfortable. She would also like to help catch the baby.

 Lori is photographer and is encouraged to take many, many photo’s. Don’t worry Amanda is not shy about the naked ones. 

 Amanda would like all attending to be present for the actual birth. Again lots of picture please.

 We would prefer the lights dimmed and noise kept to minimum. We are planning on allowing Ashlie to announce the gender. If she is unable to stay or “figure out the gender” we would like to find out on our own. So if you catch a peak before us PLEASE don’t say anything.

 We asked that the cord not be clamped till the placenta is delivered. However if the cord is to short to allow the baby in a comfortable position than we would at least like to wait till the cord has stopped pulsing.

 We ask that the placenta be delivered naturally no pitocin or traction.

 No eye drops. We would only like Vitamin K administered if the birth was traumatic and the baby show’s signs of bruising. We will delay PKU till Amanda’s milk has come in and it is effective.

If a hospital transfer is necessary, we would like the hospital to know that a lot of typical procedures of Labor and delivery and early post natal care are not appropriate to our situation. Please ask permission before performing any routine procedure unless it is an emergency. We deeply appreciate the measures that you are taking to make what will most likely be bad situation for us easier.

 Eric and the midwifes will stay with Amanda.

 We request NO enema, shaving, medication, IV, heparin lock, x-rays, augmentation of labor, artificial rupture of membranes or electronic fetal monitoring. I will not accept Cytotec under any circumstances!

 Every study I have read shows that EFM does not produce healthier babies; it only increases the chances of a cesarean. I’d prefer for you to listen to my baby with a Doppler. I feel that this is safer and less intrusive. I trust you over a machine.

 We request that Amanda be allowed to move about freely and labor and birth in the positions of her choosing and that the room be kept quiet with dim lighting.

 Do not offer drugs for pain relief.

 No episiotomy, use of forceps, or vacuum extraction

 Unless 100% necessary we request the cord not be clamped or cut until the cord is no longer pulsing. If possible, no augmentation of placental delivery.

 Do not announce baby’s gender – let us discover that for ourselves

 Please place the baby directly on Amanda’s belly and cover with blankets. That is all the warning he or she will need.

 The baby will remain with Amanda or Eric for the delivery of the placenta and for any baby care. I would like myself or my husband with the baby at all times.

 No bottles, pacifiers, dextrose water, water, or artificial nipples of any kind. We will BREASTFEED ONLY.

 No eye ointment, vitamin K, or vaccinations. We will also delay PKU testing until iafter my milk has come in and t is effective.

 No visits to the nursery. If unavoidable, baby will be accompanied by Eric or Amanda at all times. Rooming in please.

 If baby is a boy – do not circumcise! I wish to make it very clear that if our child is removed of any healthy, functional, normal skin on his sex organ, we will take the matter to the courts. Please, forgive me if this sounds paranoid or threatening, but this is extremely important to us.

 We would like an early discharge barring complications

 In the event of an emergency cesarean section we ask that Eric be present. We also ask that the 2 rows of stitches be applied versus the 1 row routinely performed. Once baby has been delivered and checked for problems we ask that Eric be given the baby until mom can take over. If baby must be transferred to NICU we ask that Eric remain with the baby. We would like to breastfeed As soon as possible so PLEASE NO BOTTLES!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search