Log In Sign Up

How to avoid an induction??


Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
August 15th, 2011, 09:36 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Small Town, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 5,634
Today I am 3 days post date. I know it's not that far at all, and I am feeling very well.

I have a drs appt on Wednesday. I know that at that time, the Dr. is going to want to schedule an induction for next Monday (August 22nd) should the baby not arrive by then.

Their policy is to induce at 10 days post date, so that if the initial induction does not work, they still have some time to try again before the critical (in their minds) 42 week mark.

I am going to try and suggest that instead of scheduling an induction, we schedule a non-stress test, and that if everything looks good, we wait to try induction until 42 weeks, which would be next Friday (August 26th).

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for how I could respectfully approach this with my dr and get her "on my side" type of thing? Has anyone successfully changed their drs mind before on this type of matter?

(note- my dr is not an OB. She is a family dr with delivery rights and has primarily maternity patients)
__________________
~Rachel~

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
August 15th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 26,067
I think you should wait for her to bring it up, then just let her know that you do not agree with being induced unless there is a medical reason, but you would be more than happy to agree to the extra testing for being past your due date, to be sure that you and baby are okay. I don't think there's anything disrespectful about that, remember that even though your doctor can make recommendations, you have the final say over your care.

By the way, I'm glad you popped in! I was wondering about you the other day and if you may have had your baby yet. Hopefully your baby is ready to come soon and you don't even have to worry about the dreaded induction talk with your doctor!
__________________
Andrea, mom to Abigail (6) Annabelle (4) and Alexis (1)



Reply With Quote
  #3  
August 15th, 2011, 12:45 PM
MiniMom's Avatar Head Lady Bird
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Burke, Virginia
Posts: 385
that's probably what I would do - politely ask for a stress test before you agree to induction. Basically, ask for evidence (the stress test, etc) to show that the baby should come out, rather then just assuming that it's time to come out. word it like, " I would rather have a stress test done to show that he/she needs the indiction. If he/she doesn't need one then I would prefer to allow the baby to come when he/she is ready. I hope you understand where I am coming from." The doctor should respect your view, especially if you did your homework. If your doc doesn't agree and it's because of insurance rules, etc, then I'd ask for other ways to induce that aren't as harsh - like with herbs, or swiping of membranes, to hopefully buy you some time before the baby decides to come. This is just my opinion though...I really don't have any experience in this part, only in trying to talk a doc out of other things like episiotomies and ivs. I found that the more you show that you did your homework, and respect both sides of the spectrum, the more they are interested in helping you out...

Goodluck!
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #4  
August 15th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,212
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Ditto the above 2, I'd also be inclinded to remind the doctor that "full term" is 37 to 42 weeks soooo technically you're really not overdue yet, you're just past your estimated due date.
__________________


Facebook
Reply With Quote
  #5  
August 15th, 2011, 02:32 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 17,089
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
what all the other ladies said And most first time moms go an AVERAGE of 41w2d or maybe 41w3d? i forget. over 41 weeks.
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #6  
August 15th, 2011, 08:22 PM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Union Bridge, MD
Posts: 3,409
Hugs to you. I am in the same boat - due last Friday 8/12 and trying desperately to avoid the induction "deadline." I'm due to go in for a 41 midwife check-up this upcoming Saturday, and if I am still not delivered/in labor by then I am going to be scheduled for induction sometime during the week of August 22nd. My plan, if I make it to that appointment, is to request (firmly) that the induction be scheduled as far into that week as possible, in order to give my body more time to do its thing. And I'm also going to ask the midwife to perform a membrane sweep to see if that can push my body over the edge prior to whatever date they give me. I'll be subjected to twice weekly NSTs but it's a small price to pay, IMHO, to avoid the induction.
__________________

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

Reply With Quote
  #7  
August 15th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I now have a daughter!!!
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
I think you should wait for her to bring it up, then just let her know that you do not agree with being induced unless there is a medical reason, but you would be more than happy to agree to the extra testing for being past your due date, to be sure that you and baby are okay. I don't think there's anything disrespectful about that, remember that even though your doctor can make recommendations, you have the final say over your care.

By the way, I'm glad you popped in! I was wondering about you the other day and if you may have had your baby yet. Hopefully your baby is ready to come soon and you don't even have to worry about the dreaded induction talk with your doctor!
I agree with this. Hopefully your doctor will agree to it. If they are keeping close tabs on baby, and baby is still thriving, I just dont' understand why they have to insist on an induction

I'm so lucky that my midwife told me she would even wait willingly to 43 weeks for me. But... I couldn't do it. I'd have to agree to at least the gel by then. I MIGHT refuse pit for that long though.

Good luck! You are not alone!

Darcy,
Up w/ pretty-strong contractions, just not consistent...GRRRR (also 10 days 'overdue' now)
__________________




Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:22 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0