Protein and bag of waters

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2011, 12:00 PM
MiniMom's Avatar Head Lady Bird
Just wanted to share something that my husband and I learned last night @ our natural childbirth class. Did you know that the reason why we as pregnant women should get 80-100 grams of protein a day is to not only build a baby....but also to strengthen our bag of water surrounding the baby? I had no idea that if you eat more protein, you have a smaller chance that your water will break prior to labor.

Has anyone heard of this before? Not that I don't believe it, but I've just never heard that you can up your chances of keeping your water in tack longer with more protein in your diet.

August 16th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
That is extremely interesting! I've never heard that before. I belief it, although I don't think it applied in my case. I'm a vegetarian and my protein levels are probably lower than they should be (ashamed to admit), but in both labors my water didn't break until late in the labor.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
August 16th, 2011, 05:48 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
Very interesting! I have been eating over 100g of protein every day this whole pregnancy due to my previous history of pre-e so I guess my water is probably staying put
August 17th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'll agree with this. I followed the Dr. Brewer diet eating my 80-100 gms of protein and my water did not break on its own. I'm sure it would have but we went ahead and had it broken at around 9.5 cm dilated just to get that last bit faster (i think i was in transition at this point).

August 17th, 2011, 09:21 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's is an interesting theory! TFS!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
August 17th, 2011, 10:15 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I had heard that eating eggs often in pregnancy was related to a stronger, more elastic bag of waters...so it makes sense that protein in general would be the driving force behind that (since eggs are a complete protein themselves). I am a huge meat-eater and even though I don't track my protein, I know it is quite up there (my iron levels are always beautiful and I eat lots of high-protein foods just by nature). They broke my bag of waters when I started pushing with my first. We shall see if my second hangs intact for most of labor (which I would prefer!)
August 17th, 2011, 08:21 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar Plus 1 :)
I never heard that before but I will definitely be increasing my protein!! Doc broke my water with #'s 1 and 2, and it broke on it's own with 3 at 40 weeks, 4 at 37 weeks, 5 at 35 weeks, 6 at 35 weeks and 7 at 38 weeks. #'s 4 through 7 labor did not start and I ended up with pitocin.

August 18th, 2011, 05:12 AM
yay! I'm glad to hear that there's evidence to support this. I started upping my protein since I started taking my classes 2 weeks ago. I'm struggling to reach more then 80, but hopefully that's a start. I do normally eat 1-2 hardboiled eggs 2 a day so that might be my saving grace! LOL. I'm hoping that this works, because both my mom and sister's water broke way before labor, so I'm hoping this works for me.

August 18th, 2011, 09:24 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
You can also try having a greek yogurt or two every day That was a big deal for me because the ones I get (Chobani) have like...14g of protein or something crazy like that? Plus they're delicious! I like the peach, blueberry and raspberry flavors the best.
August 18th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie+3babies View Post
You can also try having a greek yogurt or two every day That was a big deal for me because the ones I get (Chobani) have like...14g of protein or something crazy like that? Plus they're delicious! I like the peach, blueberry and raspberry flavors the best.
Thanks Katie!! I'll try that! I currently eat 1/4 cup of plain organic yogurt with some stevia added a day, but I've never tried greek yogurt. Sounds like its higher in protein then regular!

August 19th, 2011, 01:20 AM
provosto's Avatar Mommy to Arden!
Interesting! I wanted eggs and greek yogurt a lot during my pregnancy too. My water didn't break and they ended up breaking it around 8cm.
August 19th, 2011, 07:21 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
OMG...Greek yogurt is delicious. It feels like dessert in a cup I love the blueberry best, although pineapple is tasty too.
August 19th, 2011, 09:26 PM
DaniB+4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Very interesting! Well we eat farm fresh eggs here constantly thanks to our little brood of chickens out back and I went nuts for chocolate milk in the beginning of my pregnancy. So I'm thinking my bag of waters is pretty sturdy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search