So let's say you're 41 weeks & 4 days pregnant....

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2011, 03:30 PM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
...and facing a Pitocin induction. Are there any last-ditch natural induction methods that you'd try that would otherwise not be something you would consider unless you were facing a similar deadline?

I am 41 weeks & 1 day along and scheduled to be induced on Thursday 8/25. Here is my post from the August DDC (the only difference being that my induction has since been moved up to Thursday):

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...-up-today.html

I'm not going to refuse the induction (even though yes, I know they can't make me do it) but I am really, really hoping to go into labor on my own beforehand. I know I can't "force" labor to come but at this point I am willing to be a little more aggressive with natural induction methods. Nothing crazy or unsafe, of course, but definitely anything that is reasonable. My midwives are fantastic but they aren't really into herbs/oils/etc. and meanwhile they don't believe in the effectiveness of membrane sweeping, so I am kinda on my own here. I've been taking EPO, taking clary sage infused baths, having sex, stimulating my nipples, getting on the birth ball, walking a ton, etc etc but no luck so far. I've been apprehensive to do things like castor oil but I'll admit that it's starting to become a bit tempting if I'm not in labor by Wednesday. I AM dilating and contracting, just not enough to kick into active labor; but there is evidence that my body is at least trying .

Anyway - Any suggestions? Any past successes?

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

August 20th, 2011, 03:40 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I would try castor oil at that point...definitely before I'd agree to a pit induction.

And acupuncture!
August 20th, 2011, 03:46 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Acupuncture, also if your already contracting you can try cotton root bark tincture, 10 drops in water and drink it every hour for 4-5 hours. You can also put it.directly under your tongue

August 20th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think I would try castor oil if it might avoid the pit.

and introducing Julia Pearl
August 20th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had a bad experience with castor oil, so I have to disagree. I really would not want to feel like that in labor uke: Even if I was facing a medical induction, I wouldn't try it again. There's black cohosh, which I've heard can induce labor naturally. It's not something I've talked with my midwife about, but it would be worth researching. I know a few ladies here have mentioned taking it to start labor.

Is there any 1 of those things that really starts contractions for you? If so, I would try to double/triple up on some of them and see what happens. Something like sex/orgasm/nipple stimulation would do it (and is fun too )

Will you midwife consider trying something more gentle than pitocin for induction?

Expecting baby #4!

August 20th, 2011, 08:13 PM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Will you midwife consider trying something more gentle than pitocin for induction?
Well, we may be starting with the Foley bulb depending on where I am in terms of dilation and effacement. Otherwise we are jumping right to a low dose Pit drip. Apparently they won't use any sort of prostaglandin gel on me because the risk of uterine rupture - while still low - is higher with the gels than it is with the Pit? I honestly thought it was the other way around . Either way, any of the crap that they're gonna put in my IV or on my cervix runs the risk of hyperstimulating my uterus, which upsets me. Are there any other methods/agents that can be used besides the bulb, gels and Pit?

As far as what works for me - seriously, not much. I do have contractions after sex/orgasms but none that I'd say with certainty would cause active labor. They're pretty short and fleeting. I'm pretty sure the nipple stimulation would be more effective if I had a pump - I'm kind of kicking myself for not getting one before birth but I didn't think I'd need it . Otherwise there isn't much that seems to definitely work. I have walked my butt off for the past week and even that only brought on less than a centimeter of dilation and no additional effacement .

I'm so discouraged. I'm thinking of visiting our local natural foods store because they have a great staff of naturopaths & herbalists there, but I am not sure they'll help me without some sort of OK from my midwives?

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

August 20th, 2011, 09:28 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
I'd probably be trying every method there is, I've never gone overdue though so don't have any advice on which methods to use.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

August 21st, 2011, 04:49 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
i would try acupuncture for sure!!! but in MD you would really have to search for someone who does "Traditional Chinese Medicine" and does labor induction with electrical stim. No one I knew was near you

I had a really really bad castor oil experience and would not recommend it by any means. It was horrifically disgusting and miserable.

August 21st, 2011, 07:06 AM
noworries
Acupuncture for sure if you can find someone near you.
August 21st, 2011, 12:09 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I am in the same boat! I am 41 + 2 today... my induction will be scheduled for next Friday (8/26) if I don't go before then. I will be 42 weeks that day.

I don't have anything to add or suggest other than what people have already said. Well, one thing. Have you had a good talk with your baby? Speak to your belly and tell it that it is time to come out :-)

It's so nice to know I am not alone in this. Hopefully we both go naturally before our inductions.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
August 22nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Rub castor oil all over your belly, then wrap a heat pack/pad and place it on your belly. Or soak a piece of flannel with it and put that down, then the heat source.

ETA: It works the exact same way that drinking the castor oil will. It just lets you do it without having to drink the stuff.

My Ovulation Chart

Last edited by WendyBird; August 22nd, 2011 at 02:24 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search