Scared about pushing her out.

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
Ok so I am going natural this time after an induction with DD1 and I feel ready for it other than the actual pushing the baby out. I guess because it too me 3 hours to push my DD1 out that I am scared I will be stuck again for that long with no pain meds!!! I know that most likely will not happen with a natural birth but I am going crazy about this!

August 20th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Try not to worry mama, second babies usually come out WAY easier! Position also makes a difference with pushing, so if you can, try not to push on your back. Standing, kneeling or squatting not only open your hips but put gravity on your side.

I had to comment on your siggy too - we're expecting baby girl #3, and my poor DH doesn't even have a male pet, we have 4 female cats Poor guy!

Expecting baby #4!

August 20th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
I had to comment on your siggy too - we're expecting baby girl #3, and my poor DH doesn't even have a male pet, we have 4 female cats Poor guy!
Yeah and the funny thing its like a tiny dog too. My mom called it a rat. But its a boy that's all he cares about!!!

August 21st, 2011, 07:10 AM
noworries
My biggest piece of advice is to wait until your body is ready to push. Your body will completely take over and then it's much easier. And, 2nd and 3rd babies are much easier to push out usually than the first.
With my daughter, I pushed for an hour and it was the hardest part for me (I had an 11 hour, natural labor). So, with my son, I was a little apprehensive of the pushing part too. But, my body just started pushing (I couldn't stop if I wanted to) and I pushed for 2 minutes and he was out.
August 21st, 2011, 07:55 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was going to say the same thing about waiting until your body is ready. It will completely take over. You may feel a little pushy or have nurses or whatever saying you 'can' push... but I waited through that (the OB wasn't at the hospital yet and they told me I had to wait) and then my body just started doing it on its own without my control.

The best way I can explain it is like the act of pushing out a poop vs. having explosive diarrhea it's gonna come out either way but one way your body just takes over and does it on its own.

Also, you may have had to push for so long with your first LO because of how they were positioned, and if this baby is positioned more favorably it could be a total cakewalk in comparison.

good luck!

August 21st, 2011, 10:32 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I have been working with my doula over this exact same thing. Of all the things I am "nervous" about in labor...pushing is the part that scares the beegeebas out of me. And I did not push for very long for my first (30 minutes), but it was incredibly painful and chaotic.

And my doula's first bit of advice was what all the other ladies said...we are waiting until my body takes over and does it itself. She compared it to breathing. Saying you can think "Oh, I have not taken a breath in a while, I could breathe in right now" versus when the body totally takes over and there is NO thought about breathing, it just does it naturally. She said that waiting until that point will eliminate some of the chaos (that was nurse-caused and situational, much like Liana's position might have been) and it will make it much easier on me emotionally and physically. She gave me some birth affirmations to read over, although they all seem a bit hoaky But we have been working though some of my fears about pushing. I suggest trying to do the same, since it *can* slow or stall your labor if you are nervous about getting to the pushing stage. You can absolutely do it and will be just fine. But I wanted you to know that you are not the only one who has fears about the pushing part.

(Oh, and I love your siggy too...I think it is hilarious!!)
August 21st, 2011, 01:03 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
What a great thread. I am scared too! This is just what I needed to read right now. Maybe that's why I am 9 days overdue!

Ash- I especially like what you said about the possibility of it holding up your labour. I am going to starting telling myself everything will go awesome, and try to avoid that!

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
August 24th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies!!! I have an appointment in the morning so maybe I will let her know that I am struggling with it.

August 24th, 2011, 10:50 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Power Positions - Fit Pregnancy This was in my e-mail box today from the ICAN list. Timely, no?

The information on the second page is really good, especially the info for helping reposition a baby

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 25th, 2011, 01:15 PM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
Send a message via Yahoo to forest
With my first daughter (I had an epidural) I pushed for 2 hours. My second was born 20 minutes after we got to the hospital and the pushing part of that was only a few minutes. My body basically started pushing on its own, there was no way I couldn't push! I know it isn't like this for everyone, but the pushing portion of labor was not painful for me at all.

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
August 25th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've had NCBs with both my daughters. I pushed for about 30 minutes with my first, but with Violet I had to push for just over 3 hours total. She got stuck during labor and it took some moving around to get her out. But I was totally fine and the 3 hours actually zoomed by really quickly. So, even if you do have to push for awhile you can totally do it!

August 27th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Wait! With dd #2 I was "coached" to push even though I didn't feel the natural urge (I felt coerced though..). Wait for your body, if not, doing "light" pushes to see how your body reacts or to see if it alleviates pressure will not hurt, it'll help

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search