Mamas who have gone past 42 weeks

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2011, 01:31 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
What was your situation? What kind of care provider did you have? What # of child was it?

I am getting paranoid that the baby might not come before my induction date on 8/26 - I will be 42 weeks and I really just don't know if my dr will want me to go any later. I know I am in the drivers seat, but it really makes me scared that something could be wrong.

Especially considering at 38 + 5 baby was estimated to be 8lbs 4 oz, plus or minus 20 oz. How big could baby be now??

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
August 21st, 2011, 02:56 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
They really don't gain weight very rapidly after 40 weeks- but I bet your LO will show up within the next few days!!!
August 21st, 2011, 05:15 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I went to 42 weeks 3 days with Hunter, he was my 3rd but my first NCB, my others were induced at 42 and 41.1 weeks for no good reason at all. I seen an OB with my first two and my third I had a midwife. My midwife knew I went with her to avoid an induction and she was very anti-induction so as long as baby was doing well (and I was doing well) neither of us seen a reason to induce. I went into labor very early at 42 weeks 3 days and had a fast, easy delivery. He was bigger -10lbs 8ozs but I couldn't ask for an easier l & d!

And remember, estimated weights can be sooo wrong! I had an u/s at 42 weeks that estimated Hunter at 9lbs 8ozs... he didn't gain a pound in 3 days, no way! My midwife even said that the weight can easily go either way by 1-2lbs.

Facebook
August 21st, 2011, 06:05 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Even if your baby IS big, you'll be just fine. If baby gets "too big," you'll likely go in to labor. Trust the process, although it's hard!
August 22nd, 2011, 06:26 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Personally, I have no experience with going past 42 weeks.

But my mom had my middle brother at 43 weeks even. The doc did NST's every 4 days after 41 weeks and did sonograms to make sure the baby and placenta were fine starting at 42 weeks. He was a regular OB who has a very open mind about pregnancy and birth. So he was fine with her going to 43 weeks as long as everyone was comfortable (as much as possible) and everything seemed fine. It was her second child (she had me exactly on my due date). There seemed to be no reason to rush him out, since all the tests confirmed he was fine in there.

And like previous posters said...those sonograms can be really off in weights. They estimated that same brother at 7lbs, 15oz two days before he was born (her last sonogram). His actual birth weight was 9lbs, 7oz. An impossible gain in two days (which *could* have netted him into the 8lb range, but not much more than a little over 8). They are estimating the baby I am carrying well over the 97th percentile (he was 5lbs, 8oz at 32 weeks). But I know they can be soooo off that I am not worrying. I figure that my body can handle it and chances are their guesses are not right on anyway. A woman in my DDC had her first son at 39 weeks. He was guessed to be over 9lbs at a sonogram a week before she had him (they told her to expect a 10lber). And he was 6lbs, 3oz at birth. So certainly not an exact science.
August 22nd, 2011, 07:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I went to 42 weeks with my number 2. When I went into labor, it was only 2 hours, so there's a plus.

Remember, 1st time mommies are usually late, if they are left alone.

I'm sure it'll happen in the next few days! Good luck!

August 22nd, 2011, 12:33 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Both of my boys waited past the forty-two week mark to make their appearances. I had a midwife for each.

My firstborn was born at forty-two weeks plus three. My second, forty-three plus three. Both pregnancies were very healthy, all postdates testing showed that they were healthy and there were no problems at birth or anytime after. Both boys weighed eight pounds and two ounces at birth, both were in fantastic position for birth and both had absolutely wonderful birth experiences.

Don't worry too much about a "big baby". Fat squishes. If you are concerned that there may be a problem with the baby, have a biophysical profile or a non-stress test done. Baby will be here very soon, Mama.

August 22nd, 2011, 01:12 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went to 42w3d with my first natural birth. He was baby #4 but all the others had been inductions. I had a home birth midwife and she was just fine letting me go past 42 weeks as long as both baby and I did well. We had a sonogram scheduled for 42w2d and everything looked great. He was estimated at 10lbs and I went into labor that night. He was 9lbs8oz and 24" long. His labor and birth were pretty easy, he was born 12 hours after my water broke. After having 6 babies I've found that position of the baby, not the size makes all the difference for labor and birth.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search