Not such a good appt... 41+4

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2011, 04:33 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
My appointment did not go at all as I planned. I have been crying on and off since leaving there, not to mention in there as well. I sure wish DH could have come.

Basically:

- No change from last week- dialated 1 finger, baby has MOVED BACK UP, and is no longer engaged. Cervix is still long. Cervix is still posterior as well
- They cannot induce me on Friday (as initially agreed) because it if goes into the weekend there are staffing issues
- Dr was fine with waiting until Monday (42 + 3) but when she called the OB (all the drs with delivery rights work with an OB- so that if anything goes drastically wrong they step in) he was certainly NOT ok with waiting until Monday
- I am scheduled for induction on Thursday at 8AM

I am kind of freaking out, and so upset. I spent my entire pregnancy educating myself as much as I possibly could on natural birthing techniques, etc. and now I just feel like my body is failing me.

The dr was really good and tried to comfort me, told me not to be so hard on myself, etc. and that it was good we made it this long (especially since they are worried about a big baby) but I still feel like I am getting the shaft. Why hasn't the baby come already?

I am trying hard not to be so upset, because I know that feeling anxious and upset is not the right hormones to have floating around in my body when I am trying to go into labour.

That being said, I bought castor oil and plan to drink it tonight

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
August 23rd, 2011, 04:51 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Just don't show up. Seriously, don't show. They cannot make you consent to an induction. They can (and apparently are) bullying you and making you feel bad, but they cannot legally force you to consent to any procedure. It's your body, not theirs.

hon. Whatever you ultimately decide to do, please remember that your body is NOT failing you. It's the OB community and its warped sense of timelines that fails people.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
August 23rd, 2011, 05:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
hon. Whatever you ultimately decide to do, please remember that your body is NOT failing you. It's the OB community and its warped sense of timelines that fails people.
This is true, and even with a history of going at a certain point, it doesn't mean that the next pregnancy will be the same. I went into labor at 40w and 40w3d and I'm now 41w2d and still haven't had this one. It's still a bit of a mystery of what puts our bodies into labor, and how it all works, which is why it's hard to have a definite timeline of WHEN things will happen. Believe me, I know how frustrating it is to see other women going into labor at 37-40 weeks and wonder why your body hasn't done the same. It's hard to keep prespective at this point and remember the reality of it all, especially when you are being pressured into an induction. :hugs:

With the castor oil, please start out with a very small dose! That stuff can make you very sick (I know from experience) and I can't imagine feeling like that when I'm in labor. I really hate to see women do it and then have such a miserable labor because of it

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
August 23rd, 2011, 05:31 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
as the others said, don't go to the induction. Maybe your car won't start that morning. I had a patient recently going thru the same thing and after her first acupuncture treatment (the night before her induction) she called the next morning and said her car would not start and came back for a second treatment and it did the trick. I am sorry they are bullying you and making you feel like you failed when you have not.

August 23rd, 2011, 11:30 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Please have car trouble, or um.....a moose! Yeah, a moose in your yard and you can't leave until it goes away (this is really a good excuse where I live...lol) A herd of sleepy sheep are crossing the road in front of you. The water main broke, the septic tank backed-up.

As long as you and baby are doing well there is no reason to induce. I had an even LESS favorable cervix than you have right now with my daughter. I saw the midwife on Thursday and went into labor on Saturday, she was born very early Sunday morning. Your cervix right now means NOTHING. It means nothing until you go into labor and even then, knowing the 'numbers' is meaningless too! With my younger daughter, the doctor checked me and told me I was a "6" and had "hours" to go. She was born just 25 minutes later!

http://www.mybirthbydesign.com/Bishop's%20Score.pdf Check out this site. You have a very low Bishop's score, which means induction is NOT likely to work anyway. Is that what you want? A failed induction? Those result in surgery 99% of the time, unless you have a really, really good provider that doesn't rupture membranes and is willing to let you go home if the induction doesn't work. Most doctors won't do that, but should offer it as an option as long as you and baby are doing well.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 24th, 2011, 06:16 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I chickened out on taking the castor oil last night. I did some research on the internet and it freaked me out. My doula suggested rubbing it into my belly, so I did that.

I had an awful sleep- I kept dreaming about the induction and I am up much earlier than usual.

I am holding onto the hope that maybe I will only need cervidil to get things going. Their induction policy goes like this:

- Insert cervidil in AM- monitor 2 hours
- If everything is ok- I can do whatever I want (movement, etc), possibly even leave the hospital depending on how my body is handling it
- If labour has not established itself by supper time, insert another cervidil
- Monitor again for 2 hours- remove me from monitor
- If labour not established within 8-12 hours after that, start pitocin drip

I am the most afraid of pitocin. I am hoping that if it gets to that I can negotiate something... like maybe having a HEP LOCK IV (one that can be easily removed/reinserted) and say, starting with a really low dose, and once contraction start, removing the IV and seeing if my body goes on its own. As long as baby is doing well, perhaps I can negotiate only being attached to the monitor for 20 minutes of each hour? That way I can still use the shower, movement, etc to try and ease pain without drugs.

I suppose I will have to see what happens. I know that I can not show up for the induction, but there are a lot of other factors associated. (my husband's/the rest of my family's fear, my own fear that something is wrong in there, my relationship with my dr, the issue of respect, etc). I am hoping I can just stand my ground once I get there.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
August 24th, 2011, 06:34 AM
MiniMom's Avatar Head Lady Bird
I really hope that it works out for you Rachel! Have you talked to your doctor about using Primrose oil and drinking raspberry tea? That might also get things moving along?

August 24th, 2011, 12:55 PM
HONEYBUNNY61's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto what everyone else has said. I'd probably do the red raspberry leaf tea for sure. I just really really really hope your baby starts its way soon! There's still time! Don't give up hope.

VBAC, NATURAL BIRTHING, BREASTFEEDING, BABYWEARING, CLOTH DIAPERING MOM!
August 24th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonzgurl View Post
I chickened out on taking the castor oil last night. I did some research on the internet and it freaked me out. My doula suggested rubbing it into my belly, so I did that.

I had an awful sleep- I kept dreaming about the induction and I am up much earlier than usual.

I am holding onto the hope that maybe I will only need cervidil to get things going. Their induction policy goes like this:

- Insert cervidil in AM- monitor 2 hours
- If everything is ok- I can do whatever I want (movement, etc), possibly even leave the hospital depending on how my body is handling it
- If labour has not established itself by supper time, insert another cervidil
- Monitor again for 2 hours- remove me from monitor
- If labour not established within 8-12 hours after that, start pitocin drip

I am the most afraid of pitocin. I am hoping that if it gets to that I can negotiate something... like maybe having a HEP LOCK IV (one that can be easily removed/reinserted) and say, starting with a really low dose, and once contraction start, removing the IV and seeing if my body goes on its own. As long as baby is doing well, perhaps I can negotiate only being attached to the monitor for 20 minutes of each hour? That way I can still use the shower, movement, etc to try and ease pain without drugs.

I suppose I will have to see what happens. I know that I can not show up for the induction, but there are a lot of other factors associated. (my husband's/the rest of my family's fear, my own fear that something is wrong in there, my relationship with my dr, the issue of respect, etc). I am hoping I can just stand my ground once I get there.
It sounds to me like the doctor's the one who's not respecting you, if he's forcing you into something that you're not comfortable with.

Grr, I am just feeling so angry for you. What does it mean when they say "if it goes into the weekend there are staffing issues"? What were they planning to do if any of their other patients went into labor spontaneously over the weekend? What, are people not allowed to go into labor on the weekend any more!? Craziness!

I know that you're probably feeling anxious and worried, but as hard as it is to do, try to relax as much as you possibly can. Anxiety can sometimes prevent labor from starting. Try to do something to take your mind off the issue, and maybe labor will start on its own.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
August 24th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry this is happening to you.
As someone who had planned a homebirth and ended up with an emergency induction I agree with everyone else: avoid induction if you are able!
Go jogging, have sex a million times, ride a bumpy road in a lowrider... anything to avoid induction.
August 24th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I now have a daughter!!!
I second what everyone has said, mostly YOUR BODY SURELY IS NOT FAILING YOU though. It just takes time. Unfortunately, too much time for many doctors

What about nipple stimulation? That really helped me bring on contractions. I'd go rent a pump maybe even. I used my pump while I was in labor to speed things up. It worked for me.

Hang in there..many hugs....

August 24th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thinking of you tomorrow, Rachel, I hope things goes smoothly and the cervadil is all that you need to get labor to kick in - keep us updated if you can!

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
August 24th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
Thinking of you!!! When I was induced with my DD all it took was the cirvadil!!!!!! I wimped out into an epi but I'm telling you it worked!!!! So hoping that's all you need if you decide to go in.

August 24th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
big big hugs easy labour vibes and I hope either you go into labour tonight or the cervidil works like a charm. 2 of my BFFs went into labour the night before their inductions were supposed to happen!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
August 24th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am wishing you ELVs as well. I hope the cervidil does it all by itself and your body takes over from there.

August 30th, 2011, 11:38 AM
A friend showed me an article the other day about the March of Dimes' "Healthy babies are worth the wait" campaign and I thought it was interesting - gave me a little bit of perspective. Even if we're dying to pop, gotta let that baby cook til it's done! Best of luck to you and hope you get that Dr. whipped into shape!

Apparently I don't have enough posts to use links yet (Newbie, sorry! I'm a lurker) but if you Google "March of Dimes induction" under News you'll find it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search