Silly question

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 25th, 2011, 06:59 PM
KristenV's Avatar Veteran
So I've been thinking about what to wear from my upcoming waterbirth. I've noticed in a lot of videos, sports bra type tops are common. Here is my question though, when they put the baby on mom's chest, she is still wearing it. Does this 'count' as skin to skin? Do you take the top off eventually? Thanks!

Thank you AlexAiden Mommy for my siggy!

August 25th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I usually take off the top once I get out of the water and snuggled in bed. I'm not quite comfortable enough with my mom and sisters there to strip totally (so weird that I'm that way about my boobs when everything else is exposed). Before that, I usually hold the baby so her face is touching bare skin at least.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

August 25th, 2011, 08:54 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been thinking about this too . I think I'm going to wear a string bikini top. I'd like to have a lot of pictures from the birth and would like to be able to show them to people without having to edit them to blur the girls out. A bikini top will still leave most of your chest exposed or you could just pull the cups off to the side once baby is born.

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

August 25th, 2011, 09:25 PM
nilla's Avatar Veteran
I wore a sports bra top for my water birth... in the moments after the birth I didn't even think about how we weren't skin to skin, ha. He was in my arms, up against my chest, but I did have my bra on still. It was such a powerful moment in and of itself, it didn't strike me. We only stayed in the tub for a few minutes after the birth though, and then my DH took Maddox and I delivered the placenta. Then, stripped and moved to the bed where I snuggled Maddox and tried BFing.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my super cute siggy!

August 25th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
I think that's pretty darn close to skin to skin. Baby can still smell you, feel your warmth, etc. I'm sure he would still get the same benefits from it.

Keep in mind, though, that sometimes during labor you'll get the urge to strip. That was one of my first signs that I was in labor, was that I felt like I couldn't stand to have my shirt on me any more.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
August 26th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I could have written Nichole's post exactly

August 26th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Thanks ladies! I am planning on wearing my sleep nursing bra (looks like a sports bra, but without the support) unless of course I get the urge to take it off that is Considering I have two cantaloupes on my chest right now, my options are fairly limited in what will fit. I'm just hoping I don't get too much bigger when my milk comes in! (I'm currently measuring a 38H! )

August 26th, 2011, 10:50 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
^^I am right there with you and I did not feel comfortable having my whole chest hanging out during labor. Very much like Kelli. Not to mention, when they are that heavy, it gets to be painful to not have them supported (I am currently a 38G/H depending on cut).

I will be wearing a long skirt and sports bra for labor (except in the tub, of course). I will take off my sports bra when I settle into bed and try to nurse him. I think it does count as skin-to-skin, since a sports bra does very little to block scents/feeling. You never know what your likes/dislikes will be during labor. But I never lost that protectiveness of having mine covered when I gave birth to my son. And doubt I will this time either.
August 26th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
THe bikini top is a great idea! The idea of the wet sports bra, and trying to get that off did not appeal to me. Hmm, I'll have to do some looking. Of course, a sleep bra would be good too. I'm sure I could find a cheapy one or two at Walmart.

August 27th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I'm glad I"m not the only one in larger sizes! Seems like everyone I know pregnant IRL is only a D! I wish....oh to be able to buy bras in a store instead of online again!

In case it didn't come through crystal clear, I tend to over think/over analyze everything Thanks for all your input! I feel better now

August 27th, 2011, 06:10 PM
ToriLeigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Never done a water birth, but gonna throw in that if you don't want to try to take off a wet sports bra, ask for some bandage scissors, especially if it's a cheap one. Much quicker and much less of a struggle.

August 27th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I'm a 40G so I know how you feel! I hate having them unsupported so I didn't want that sensation to deal with during labor.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

August 27th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I intended to wear my same stretchy green baby doll thing during Nola's homebirth (that I wore during Kailey's), however getting in and out of the tub I ended up being completely naked a cpl hours before Nola was born.

I had good intentions though...

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

August 27th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I now have a daughter!!!
I wore my sports bra and she was placed right on top of my sports bra. We stayed in the water for a little bit before I was ready to move to the heated bed. When we moved to the bed, I stripped down and it was skin to skin. Also, I find that wearing a swim skirt works fabulous in the water! Gives you coverage, but yet works perfectly too I wore my same swim skirt for my last two pregnancies.

August 27th, 2011, 08:19 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
i wore a pretty skimpy bikini top. he got plenty of skin and i think i took it off when i got on to a bed to nurse.
August 27th, 2011, 09:34 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
With my last one I just wore my bra. This time I'll probably either wear a bra, tube top or something similar. I want a lot of photos taken and am not comfortable with a bunch of nude photos so like to wear something up top for that reason. Once I get comfy with baby and ready to nurse, I take it off.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

August 27th, 2011, 09:59 PM
nilla's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
I hate having them unsupported so I didn't want that sensation to deal with during labor.
Me, too. I'm a 40H now (up from a 40DD) and the thought of them just hanging out did not appeal to me. They just get in the way.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my super cute siggy!

August 28th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I wore a sports bra in the tub and then once I got out I switched into a nursing bra, I also have the big boob thing going on so unsupported isn't comfortable plus I'm not big on being nude infront of anyone, especially a camera lol!

Facebook
August 28th, 2011, 07:49 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I am def seeing a trend in that bigger-chested women are more likely to want a sports bra or some support during labor. It actually makes me feel better to see that pattern too...since I kinda feel weird that I am not comfortable with my breasts hanging out. It makes lots of sense that bigger chested ladies have issues with "dealing" with them during labor. It makes me feel less like a freak to have so many ladies of similar size agree that it is a pain (literally) to have them exposed. I always knew I was protective of my chest, just not that it was such a common thing for bigger boobed ladies.

I am an over-thinker too...no worries. Some things just get stuck and you can't stop thinking about them. I think you will know what to do and what feels right at the time

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search