Lurker looking for advice!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 29th, 2011, 02:07 PM
SammyJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey ladies!

I frequently lurk this board because I am still in the WTTC stage and don't have anything to contribute. However, I would love some advice. DH and I are planning to start TTC in the spring and I really want to have a NCB experience for my first baby (if possible.) However I have zero idea what the cost would be of having the delivery in a birthing center, etc. I am trying to plan ahead here and am contemplating setting up a consultation meeting with a midwife at the birthing center in our city (there is only one). However, we are still about seven months away from TTC, but I am trying to get all my ducks in a row financially before we begin. Do you think now would be too soon to get a consultation? Should I wait until we are closer to our TTC date?

Would love some thoughts!

Thanks!
August 29th, 2011, 03:03 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
my birth center was covered by my insurance, i had a $250 copay which i would have paid no matter where i birthed DD. I would call your insurance and ask, or look it up on your plan.

August 29th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Thanks for your reply! I know my insurance doesn't cover anything prenatal at all. I am considering getting an independent plan, but I haven't been able to find one that I can afford that does cover a midwife or birth center birth. The hospital here doesn't have a birth center either, it is a private one owned by a certified midwife. Unfortunately I just don't think the insurance thing is going to work out regardless, which is part of the reason I want to go with a birth center because I know they cost less than it would be for me to even pay my insurance deductible. lol.

I am just not exactly sure how much it would cost. I might just call and see what they think about doing a consultation I guess. Thanks again!
August 29th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
I am paying for my birth center out of pocket and it's costing me 5000. If I were to increase my personal plan to cover maternity, it would add another 50+ dollars a month to my monthly bill plus I have a 5000 co pay and I never go to the dr so it would still end up being 5000 out of pocket plus uping my plan and those extra costs.

So I just have basic health care and am paying the MW out of pocket. I hope that all made sense.

August 29th, 2011, 07:23 PM
ToriLeigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would go ahead and call them. I don't know a lot about birth centers since I've always done hospitals, but I know that a lot of providers are willing to give you some breaks if you pay at time of service (or ahead in this case) and they don't have to file insurance. It saves them money not to have to bill constantly or fight with insurance companies. And even if they think it's too early to do a consultation, they should still be able to give you information about the center and their financial policy.

August 30th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Thanks everyone! Great advice! @Rancherandcitygal. I am pretty much in the same boat. It would cost me at least $100 more per month to get better insurance to have a hospital birth, which I don't really want to do anyway. Even paying out of pocket for the birth center and midwife is about the same cost as paying the deductible on my health insurance. I think I am just going to call the birth center today and see what they think. It would just be nice to get a financial picture this far ahead in the game.

Thanks again!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search