Delayed cord clamping discussion

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2011, 09:48 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does it benefit baby to delay clamping of a pulsing cord if placenta is detached and birthed already? (This is aside from a lotus birth.)

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
September 14th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Yes, imo. If the cord is still pulsing there is still blood flowing from the placenta to the baby. To me, the main benefit of delayed clamping is so that the baby will get it's complete amount of blood volume. Baby needs that blood. So the delivery of the placenta or not is irrelevant.

My plan is to delay cord clamping until after the cord stops pulsing AND the placenta is delivered. Not one or the other.

September 16th, 2011, 08:19 AM
I guess I question whether its still beneficial to delay camping past the point where the placenta has detached. Because at that point *IF* the cord is still pumping its because the baby's heart is creating the flow. And it would seem the blood is losing oxygen and other good stuff at a faster rate since its cirrculating more than it's own body.

Does that make sense??

September 16th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm. I didn't think it pulsed after it detached. I really don't know. Links?

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
September 18th, 2011, 06:30 AM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
I too didn't think it pulsed after detachment. I'd like more info!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

September 19th, 2011, 07:42 AM
It's just anecdotal stories. I had asked the question to another group of NCB ladies about my last birth. I was wanting to do delayed cord clamping and of course my MW supported that. After Kate was born she latched on within minutes. And although I don't know the exact timing of it all, it wasn't too long at all before my MW said my placenta was detaching and was getting ready to come. She asked if she could cut and clamp and I said yes because I was thinking that if it wasn't done pulsing quite yet it would be.

But then I heard of a mom who didn't clamp until the placenta was fully birthed and she said it was still pulsing. A MW int he group asked if it was pulsing close to the baby or the placenta. The mom didn't know.

Even if it was fully pulsing, do you think it was beneficial to wait that long? I don't think it is/was particularly harmful, but in terms of baby getting the full benefit I wonder if at a certain point the blood supply is losing nutrients, more than the baby is gaining?

September 19th, 2011, 06:30 PM
*~Ginny~*'s Avatar RN - Student CNM :)
Send a message via AIM to *~Ginny~*
Have you seen that video that was done by a woman explaining the benefits of delayed clamping? It's been around FB a bit recently, but I can post it here if you haven't.

As a matter of fact...I'll post it here just in case: Delaying Cord Clamping Explained! (VIDEO) | The Stir

As far as when the placenta stops pulsating...I'm not entirely sure, but I think it can pulse after delivery. I'm actually starting my reproductive anatomy and physiology class next week, and can look it up in those books when they arrive.

Last edited by *~Ginny~*; September 19th, 2011 at 06:33 PM.
September 21st, 2011, 12:57 PM
STL_Beth's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Interesting. My doctor waits until the cord stops pulsing to clamp as his standard procedure. I know my placenta didn't take very long to come out (maybe 5 min) but I'm thinking it had already stopped pulsing and the doctor got the blood to donate before it was birthed. I was a little "pre-occupied" so I wasn't paying attention to everything at that point.

My Blog
September 22nd, 2011, 06:54 AM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Zoey was the only one that had waited for the cord to stop pulsing to cut, and it wasnt my asking, it was practice of the hospital I was at. With my 3 boys it wasnt waited upon because their cords were wrapped around their shoulders and neck and to be born it had be cut.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search