Repeat u/s? *Update from MW/OB #7*

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2011, 11:31 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When we had our anatomy scan baby's kidney fluid levels came back in the normal range, but in the high normal range. The doc came in said that it's a marker for Down's and that my midwife will probably recommend a repeat u/s done. I thought that meant that because its a marker for down's I should get it repeated, to make sure kidney's stay normal and don't get "worse". But when I talked to my midwife she said No! Put the whole Down's thing out of your mind... they have to tell you that but its such a small marker its ridiculous. But she still said its normal to repeat the u/s to watch the kidneys. I don't understand... the levels were still within the normal range.

I was going to repeat it, but now that time has passed I don't think I care to. But I don't want to complacent about it either.

WWYD? (There is a monetary issue too.)

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!

Last edited by BobbityBoo; September 22nd, 2011 at 08:39 AM.
September 14th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Because I do the home birth thing (and so do you) I'd go again. Of course, here we don't have to pay - but still. I think the piece of mind is worth it when you are birthing so there aren't any niggling - hmmm what ifs? in your brain.

And I'm sorry they found something they want to check again! (((hugs))) and I'm sure baby is fine! I just want you to not worry!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
September 14th, 2011, 05:45 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm, I don't know. Did they say why they want to watch the kidneys? If Downs isn't an issue you can really do anything about, is there something else that *might* be an issue? If it's a *possible* medical issue then I'd go and get a repeat done - it'll probably be normal then no one has to worry about it. I'm just confused as to why they think it's worrisome/watchable.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
September 15th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarmagic View Post
Hmmm, I don't know. Did they say why they want to watch the kidneys? If Downs isn't an issue you can really do anything about, is there something else that *might* be an issue? If it's a *possible* medical issue then I'd go and get a repeat done - it'll probably be normal then no one has to worry about it. I'm just confused as to why they think it's worrisome/watchable.
That's exactly why I'm confused. They are just saying its recommended to get it done again. But I have to pay out of pocket $800 for the dang scan, so if its some negligible thing I'd rather not spend the money. But if it's truly something to be concerned about that could effect the birth then yes of course I would repeat it regardless of money. But I can't seem to get a straight answer. The u/s place sent my midwives a report but I guess they need to consult with an OB to kind of sort out the "doctor" speak on it. They are just reading me the recommendation off that report, ya know? I'm hoping they call me back within a few days and let me know with more certainty.

September 15th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbityBoo View Post
That's exactly why I'm confused. They are just saying its recommended to get it done again. But I have to pay out of pocket $800 for the dang scan, so if its some negligible thing I'd rather not spend the money. But if it's truly something to be concerned about that could effect the birth then yes of course I would repeat it regardless of money. But I can't seem to get a straight answer. The u/s place sent my midwives a report but I guess they need to consult with an OB to kind of sort out the "doctor" speak on it. They are just reading me the recommendation off that report, ya know? I'm hoping they call me back within a few days and let me know with more certainty.
Holy crap. Yeah, I'd want to know some really good info before spending $800 too! "It's recommended" doesn't fly with me!

~*~ My Blog ~*~
September 15th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope your midwife can give you some sort of advice on what to do. I can understand your hesitation, and if you decide not to have it repeated, I would say just have it checked right after birth, to be sure everything is okay. As far as it being a marker for Down syndrome - I wouldn't worry a lot about it. I know SO many people who have had soft markers for Ds and everything was fine. I had absolutely no markers for Ds on our anatomy scan and Kennedy has it, as well as a heart defect. Go figure.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
September 22nd, 2011, 08:37 AM
So I talked to my midwife yesterday. She said she talked with an OB and gave me the run down of what this all means. So the measurement that was large was some bilateral something or other, some fluid or larger space in the kidney. The baby's measured between 4-5mm. This is right on the borderline of needing a follow up. If the measurement grows to 5mm-10mm by 32 weeks then the baby would need testing after she is born to check her kidneys and urinary tract. So the OB said there is no point in going in now to get another U/S when the real measurement you need is the 32 week one. I would end up having to pay for two if I followed the 6-8 week recommendation. Frustrating!!

But none of this affects the birth, so home birth even in worst case scenario is a-okay!

September 22nd, 2011, 09:23 AM
That's so irritating.... I don't understand why they can't just give clear information from the start. But it's good that it won't impact anything about the birth!

~*~ My Blog ~*~
September 22nd, 2011, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarmagic View Post
That's so irritating.... I don't understand why they can't just give clear information from the start. But it's good that it won't impact anything about the birth!
Extremely frustrating!! But I'm glad its resolved now and I know what the heck is going on. The only question I have left is what are the long term effects. But I'm not sure they really know until the baby is born and see what is really going on in there. I bet if I ask now there is a whole list of what "could" happen, ya know?

BTW... you new siggie is the cutest!!

September 22nd, 2011, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbityBoo View Post
Extremely frustrating!! But I'm glad its resolved now and I know what the heck is going on. The only question I have left is what are the long term effects. But I'm not sure they really know until the baby is born and see what is really going on in there. I bet if I ask now there is a whole list of what "could" happen, ya know?

BTW... you new siggie is the cutest!!
Yeah, definitely.... they will have a list a mile long of all the possibilities.

Thanks! Took me like 3 days to finally finish it, since Ms. Crankypants doesn't like it when I use the computer and has also been refusing to go to bed until late. *rolls eyes*

~*~ My Blog ~*~
September 22nd, 2011, 12:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Glad you got some clear information finally!

September 22nd, 2011, 12:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Gosh - why wouldn't they just say - we need to check at 32 weeks. (((hugs))) and I hope there is no issues.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
September 22nd, 2011, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodagirl View Post
Gosh - why wouldn't they just say - we need to check at 32 weeks. (((hugs))) and I hope there is no issues.
Because they want my money!!! The big B's! Did I mention I'm downing some castor oil on Dec 31st if I'm not in labor already?

September 22nd, 2011, 05:16 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
glad you got some better info!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search