We have a baby (PIC)! And the birth was not "perfect" but I could not be happier :)

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2011, 07:02 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
First off, thank you so much ladies. It means so much that you all understood how hard I was struggling with the information thrown at me so quickly. I really felt a lot saner because of your words...right up until my water broke. Then all sanity was gone

Our lovely little man was born this morning (the 16th) at 6:10am, weighing 8lbs, 4oz and 21.5in long. He is amazing!!

I don't think I can really call his birth "NCB," but it was soooo much better than what I expected walking into the hospital last night that I am completely thrilled with the way things went and I feel I had an extremely positive experience overall.

I will write a full birth story eventually (when I sort it all out!)...but I will do my best to sum it up now. It will prolly be long, cause I talk a lot!

Basically my water broke on it's own at 8:45pm on Thursday evening. I decided given his positioning (transverse breech, as far as I knew) and because the fluid was slightly off-color to go right to the hospital and get our "game plan" for what we were doing. I had my blood thinning meds out of my system for 12 hours, so the doc was going to wait and talk about what we were going to do with the c-section if we needed it.

Got to the hospital at 10pm...checked me and baby (3cm) and HEAD DOWN! Little stinker flipped himself. He did have meconium in the fluid, which was classified as "moderate." Because of that, they did more monitoring than I would have liked, but my nurse was AMAZING and had me up and moving as much as possible both on and off the monitors. My doula was great at getting me moving while attached to them too.

I got checked at 3am...and was STILL 3cm. I was certainly feeling the contractions, they were regular at a minute apart and about a minute long. But just not doing what they needed to be doing. I was feeling discouraged. After discussions with my doula and nurse, we decided to do a slow drip of pitocin for a while and see if it kicked me up into labor (and then could turn it off). At about 4:30am, I was in a lot of pain. It was really unexpected, given that Liam's contractions felt nothing like that. I was literally tightening every muscle in my body when they came and having a hard time breathing through them. So...after more debate, I decided I wanted something to take the edge off and the nurse suggested half-a-dose of Nubain. It made me a little fuzzy...but I really wanted some rest, given I was getting exhausted and the doula was getting concerned about me wearing out before transition and pushing. It actually did nothing to the contractions (little did I know, the nurse had been steadily turning up the pit and I was getting a pretty heavy dose at that stage), but I did get a rest in between them and managed to get through them.

At 5:45am, I asked for an epidural. I sorta hated myself for it...being so against interventions and already having two working against me (pit and the nubain). But to be honest, I was glued to the ceiling and the contractions were lasting FOREVER and were close. The nurse went to get the anesthesiologist...and as soon as she left the room...I had to push. NOW. That feeling was really cool and kinda overwhelming. She came right back, didn't need to check me because his head was peeking out. I pushed for 12 minutes and had my gorgeous baby boy born right into my arms.

THE BEST PART: He laid, untouched on my chest for three hours after his birth. The doc cut his cord quickly because the placenta detached right away (likely because of the pit), but no one even weighed him or did anything to bug us for THREE hours. My mom and doula left and Kieran was still laying skin-to-skin on my chest. We tried nursing a little, but he was a little fuzzy himself (I am sure from the Nubain) and just wanted to cuddle and stare at me instead. It was unreal. He has not left my side since the moment he entered the world.

I am so happy that with all the trials we had lately that he is here and healthy. Even having a less-than-natural birth is fine by me, given what I was looking at if he did not turn or even what could have been the case if I ended up with an epidural or the pit failed to help me progress. Overall, I really think I did what I could do and felt in control of my decisions. It was a great birth and I am delighted that I have all my options open for future children (including firing that god-awful doctor I had this time!!)

Here is a pic of my new boy:

September 16th, 2011, 07:56 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Wow congrats. He is just gorgeous.
September 16th, 2011, 08:39 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
Congratulations! I'm so glad he turned head down for you! He's beautiful.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
September 16th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
He is absolutely adorable! I am THRILLED that everything turned out so well! All of your positive affirmations definitely paid off. I'm glad that he cooperated in the end and that he is now here safe and healthy. What a relief!

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
September 16th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
He is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!! Good job momma!!!!! YAY! You should be proud!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
September 17th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations, he is adorable!

Expecting baby #4!

September 17th, 2011, 07:40 AM
KristenV's Avatar Veteran
Congrats!!!! He's gorgeous

Thank you AlexAiden Mommy for my siggy!

September 17th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
He is beautiful! So glad things worked out for you.
September 17th, 2011, 08:39 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations!!!!

September 17th, 2011, 08:39 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations!! Our births never quite go as we envisioned them, but I'm so glad you had a good experience and are happy. That's the important part. Well, and of course your beautiful little boy!

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
September 17th, 2011, 09:09 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It just melted my heart to hear that he laid on your chest for THREE hours without being bothered AT.THE.HOSPITAL.!!! That is amazing in and of itself! I know that is the part of the birth that you were really going to mourn when faced with a c-section. I am so happy that you are happy and got your vaginal birth!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
September 17th, 2011, 12:52 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
That is wonderful news! Congrats hun he is so handsome!

September 17th, 2011, 01:20 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Congratulations!! What a sweet little face!
September 17th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
I am sooooooo excited you got a vaginal birth. You got quite the handsome little guy there. Glad he turned head down for you even if it was the last minute!

September 17th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
He is absolutely beautiful! congrats!

September 17th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Fireandiceshay's Avatar Veteran
That's fantastic! He's just gorgeous and I'm SO glad he turned for you!! And being able to have him on you right away for that long is fantastic!!

And I'm so glad you're happy with your birth experience, that's what really matters.

September 18th, 2011, 04:37 AM
*~Ginny~*'s Avatar RN - Student CNM :)
Send a message via AIM to *~Ginny~*
Congrats on your little man! You did beautifully, Mama

September 18th, 2011, 06:28 AM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Congrats on the gorgeous little boy! So happy you had a positive birth experience!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

September 18th, 2011, 03:03 PM
MiniMom's Avatar Head Lady Bird
Congrats on your little man!! I'm so glad that you got to have him for 3 hours and not bothered either! That would totally make up for the not so perfect birth in my book.

September 19th, 2011, 07:22 AM
noworries
He is absolutely beautiful. I'm so glad that even though the birth didn't go exactly as you were hoping, that everything went well and you are happy with your birth experience.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search