Surprise twins! ...now what??

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Fireandiceshay's Avatar Veteran
I haven't been around for a while as we moved (which made my computer harder to get to when kids are up), then I got pregnant (which makes me not want to sit at the desktop) and DH started school and is taking the laptop with him to class and I just don't have as much computer time. Gyah! But I hijacked it for the day and am hoping to get more time to be around...

I just need someone to talk to me so I can quit freaking out.

I've had three wonderful, natural births with my boys (yay!) and was planning on another completely natural birth. After my first birth experience with an OB, I switched to a group of CNM's for my second two and it's the best decision I've ever made. I'm open to home birth and took a class on becoming a doula (which I'd like to someday), but my insurance is amazing and as long as I see someone in network it's covered 100%. CNM group is, I love them, I'm set.

So.... I show up at my appointment on Wed thinking of talking to them about my back pain a bit and ended up with a surprise ultrasound as I'm measuring 4 weeks ahead... and I'm having TWINS!! They're in their own sacs with their own placentas and everything and they look good, but I'm not sure what to do next.

After I found out, it was at the end of my appointment so I couldn't have a massive conversation with my midwife, but she (and the dr in the room who double checked the u/s) said that I may still elect to see the midwives, I just also have to see a backup dr in case I need a C section.

C sections TERRIFY me. I'd rather lose my house than have a C. Partly because of my history, most pain meds don't work on me and they have to get creative when I have surgery (I have endometriosis and had to have wrist surgery last year as well as my 2 endo surgeries) and the thought of what they could or couldn't give me to recover on just freaks me out. That and I'm VERY naturally based and the thought of major surgery just.... *shudder* I LOVED my natural births and was almost looking forward to this one, but now I'm trying not to panic.

I know twins don't automatically mean a C section. I just need to know what to talk to my midwife about at the next appointment (which will be right after the "big" ultrasound, yay!), what do I ask, how possible is a natural birth with twins, etc.

Any ideas or experience? Or where do I even go to look? I'm so stuck!

...and if you made it through that novel, CONGRATS!!

September 17th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Wooooo!!! How exciting! I'm glad they will let you see a midwife - with just a doc for back up. That's great.
I'm sorry I haven't BTDT - so I don't know what to really tell you. I guess I'd want to know when they feel a section is necessary. Like will they do normal if one twin is head down and the other breech? KUP and good luck!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
September 17th, 2011, 04:48 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
yes, as long as twin A is heads down, a vaginal birth should be ok. I would suggest finding a good webster chiro in your area to assist you thru your pregnancy and getting the babies in good position. I had a c section and it was awful of course, i had a spinal block, and took really little meds PP besides motrin. I had IV motrin in the hospital and just oral motrin at home. I was home within 36-48 hrs of surgery. I also nursed very shortly after birth in recovery. C sections suck but are not the end of the world, although it felt like it at the time.

I would get all your facts and it seems like you have a good team willing to work with you. CONGRATS!!!!

September 17th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks so much for the support. I'm really excited about the twins, just concerned about the birth. I think it would be the COOLEST thing EVER to be able to say I had a natural birth with twins.

I've been online doing a lot of looking today and from what I can find, if I have Baby A head down and a midwife who is willing to work with me no matter the position of Baby B, it's possible to do a safe vaginal birth. I have a TON of questions to ask at my next appointment, but I was in such shock and my appointment was over when we found out that I got very few answers, but I DID get to ask if I could stay with the midwives, which made me happy.

I think I'm calling the office to see which midwife is in the office for my next appointment (they rotate). There's one I don't care for as much as the others, but she doesn't do many deliveries so I'm not too worried about getting her in the delivery room, but I'd like to be able to have a relaxed conversation.

I'll totally keep you guys posted.

September 17th, 2011, 08:01 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
you can do it!!! congrats on the extra one!
September 18th, 2011, 06:51 AM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Congrats!! I agree...totally possible and have heard of lots of natural minded mommies getting their natural birth with twins! Push for it and ditto on the chiro!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

September 18th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Question... I've never heard of a webster chiropractor, is that a special kind?

September 18th, 2011, 12:01 PM
JessicaW's Avatar Super Mommy
First off, congrats on the twins!

As for the c-section fears, I completely understand. I'm TTCing and have never been pg but this month I had two follicles and I started freaking out about twins. I was reading that the c-section rate for twins is 80 percent and there are many OBs who make you an automatic c-section.

It sounds like you are getting educated about when a c-section is and isn't necessary for twins. And your past history probably makes you a great candidate for a vaginal birth. If there's any way to find a mom who birthed twins with your same OB/midwife group, it would be really interesting to hear her experience. It'd also be worthwhile to ask your backup doc his philosophy on twin births, and also find out what the philosophy of the other docs is, since you can't be sure you'll get YOUR doc. It'd be good to know in advance if any of them are automatic c-section. It'd also be worthwhile to check into the policy of the hospital. Some have automatic twin c-section policies. This is something you don't want to find out on the EDD.

Good luck and I'm rooting for you!!!

TTC#2:
May-June 2013: Follistim + IUI = overstimulated, cycle cancelled
July 2013: Follistim + IUI = m/c at 4.5 weeks
August-Sept 2013: BCPs then IVF = freeze-all due to OHSS risk
October 2013: Natural cycle = BFN
November 6, 2013: Day 1 !!!!
November 24, 2013: Transferred one thawed euploid male embryo
November 29, 2013: BFP!
August 12, 2014: Cautiously hoping for this due date

September 18th, 2011, 12:08 PM
From the short conversation I was able to have with my midwife following the discovery I do know I'm not an automatic C section, but I don't know what would qualify me for one. Some doctors will ok a vaginal birth as long as the first baby coming is head down, so I'm optimistic. Next appointment is Oct 11, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

September 18th, 2011, 03:08 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I am not too familiar with the webster technique but know it is golden for getting babies in the right position/flipping breech babies. I have sent a lot of patients with breech babies to webster chiros and the success rates are pretty good.

September 18th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! I have a friend who had a homebirth with her twins. Her midwife was okay delivering even if Baby A was breech because she had four other children. She had a doula and several extra midwives present just in case but she had a beautiful birth and two healthy 39 week babies. It sounds like you are doing a great job educating yourself on the various options. Best wishes to you in your pregnancy!!

September 19th, 2011, 06:52 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow!

I don't know if I have any more advice then all the other ladies. KUP after your next appointment and then we can help you sort through it all again! How exciting... two babies!!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
September 19th, 2011, 07:25 AM
noworries
Congrats on your two new babies. I have a friend who had a home water birth with her twins. The second one was breech but it wasn't a problem.
September 19th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lurking and I have twins so I thought I'd pipe up.

The chiropractor is a great idea. Webster is a technique that only some chiropractors are trained in. I went to my regular chiropractor during the end of my pregnancy and thankfully she was trained in that technique. SHe worked a lot with my hips and pelvis to give the babies room to get into the right position. She definitely gave them a ton of room. I was having a lot of contractions by the end and could always see what position my kids were in. Baby A was head down, but Baby B wasn't. She had plenty of room to flip, but refused to do it. We had almost weekly u/s during my pregnancy for a couple reasons and Baby B was almost always head up during every single one of those. Not only did my chiro give Baby B room to move, she made me pretty comfortable. I could still walk around and sleep decently at the end despite measuring 50w when I delivered...btw, not all Drs. will keep measuring you. Mine did partly because I found it interesting.

Lots of Drs. and midwives will let you try a vaginal birth with twins as long as Twin A is head down. My Dr. was not willing to unless both were head down for a couple reasons and I had to agree with her after doing a lot of research. One of her reasons was that I had not had any other kids first. She said that in her experience it was easier to do a breech extraction or flip baby b into the right position if you've had at least one prior delivery. If your midwife isn't willing to let you try, you can call around and find someone who is. There are wonderful videos on youtube about women who have done home births with twins. It is possible to have a natural birth and a great experience even if you have twins.

I did not want a csection and really wanted a natural delivery before I found out I was having twins. I planned and learned about both and in the end was able to labor for 18 hours med free before I got my spinal for the csection. My Dr. had the hospital do an u/s the day my water broke to make sure baby b hadn't flipped. In the end, the csection wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I wouldn't opt for an elective repeat, but it wasn't horrible.

Good luck and feel free to join us on the multiples board. I'm not sure if we have any women there who have done a natural vaginal birth, but we do have a few who have had a vaginal birth recently.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

September 20th, 2011, 09:37 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! What a wonderful and happy surprise!

September 21st, 2011, 08:03 PM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
I delivered my girls 100% Natural. At first my Dr was not on board at all. We had compermised (sp- lack of sleep) that I would labor until I hit 7 cm than would have to get a epidural in case I needed an emergency C. Well my water broke at 33wks. When I got into the hospital both babies were head down. My Dr said do you still want to go natural (This after the Mag didn't stop the labor) I said YES!!! He went over with me, if an emergency happened I would have to be put out for the C-Section and my husband would have to be kicked out. We aggreed. I was able to labor, and go through the birth of my girls. I did get a second degree tear, (but I had an episomity with my son and the tear hurt less!) my girls were born at 1239 and 1246. I was able to get up and be wheelchaired to see them in the NICU. Talk with you Midwife, and Dr (most midwifes will consult with a Dr with twins) Make a plan (but know with any birth sometimes Plans need to be changes) And go in with compermises.. (sp) and ask them to work with you also! Good Luck!!!!

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
September 22nd, 2011, 07:33 AM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations on twins! How wonderful!

It sounds like the ladies have given you some wonderful advice!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

September 22nd, 2011, 12:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on twins! I know my hospital will let any mother labor with twins if Twin A is head down, and moms that have had previous kids can labor with twins if Twin A is breech as well. Some hospitals require that you give birth to twins in an OR in case they do decide to do a c-section though, so that's something else to think about.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search