Elective C-Section...really?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2011, 05:59 AM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Let me preface that this is not to offend anyone and I completely understand that sometimes c-sections are warranted. Now...

I'm watching A Baby Story and there's this woman having her first child and she said she chose to have a c-section, because she didn't feel like she needed to spend an unknown amount of time delivering a baby and that it's the 21st century and natural labor is primitive. Really???? That really ticked me off a bit. I mean, it's one thing to elect a repeat c-section, but to elect one on your first child without any medical reason? Just grinds my gears.

Ok, that's all.

Again, no offense to any. I guess it just shocked me a little.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

September 28th, 2011, 06:37 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah I really don't get why some women feel that way towards vaginal birth. It's an insane thing for me to understand why you'd choose to have major abdominal surgery.

I do teach c-section prep classes for women having a medically needed c-section, and even those women think women like this lady are a bit on the crazy side. However, I can see picking a elective c-section due to past trauma physically/sexually.
September 28th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Yeah....I don't know...it just seems strange. I have an aunt who had two repeat c-sections because she was in labor for over 24 hours with her first and he couldn't fit in her birth canal...he was only just over 7 lbs too, so stuff like that, I totally get. But oh well...that's the world we live in.

September 28th, 2011, 11:56 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Oh yeah. I am friends with a woman who selected to have two elective c-sections. Her first...because she wanted her "womanhood intact." And then the second, around here VBAC is not really a viable option anyway. But I seriously wanted to laugh. But she also did not breastfeed her children because it was "gross."

I def think that there is a trend of "planning" things and not wanting the baby to come at a time that is not convenient. I do believe it affects the future with that child, given the parents start on a foot that they expect the baby to conform to expectations and fit right into their current lives. And that is just not the way babies (or other humans) work. But that is a whole other opinion of mine.

I shudder to think about opting to have major surgery (while awake!) just to plan things out. For no medical reason. I obviously am not against a c-section for real reasons (I almost was staring one in the face with a transverse-breech baby right at term). But to chose them is just terrifying!
September 28th, 2011, 01:11 PM
MiniMom's Avatar Head Lady Bird
Stories like that bother me too..one of my friends scheduled a C a few months ago for her son and I was a little weirded out by that. Other stories that weird me out are the ones where the doctor asks the patient if she would like to be emitted and induced because the baby is ready to come out and if they wait, the doc may not be available to deliver because he/she is going away for a few days. 2 of my other pregnant friends fell into that sinero too. So Sad.

September 28th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj_1218 View Post
I def think that there is a trend of "planning" things and not wanting the baby to come at a time that is not convenient. I do believe it affects the future with that child, given the parents start on a foot that they expect the baby to conform to expectations and fit right into their current lives. And that is just not the way babies (or other humans) work. But that is a whole other opinion of mine.
That's an interesting point.

I must say, I am not the mother that I thought I would be. I breastfed for over a year, I cosleep, and I don't force schedules on my daughter. I just don't see the need for it. And that's probably a topic for another board too. LOL! But I've become a more relaxed person in my motherhood I guess. I just relinquished control.

September 28th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Those get me too!! I just don't get the joy or desire for being cut open. Surgery makes me cringe, no way I'd agree to it "just because". If I could have had my gallbladder removed any other way that surgically, I would have!!

Facebook
September 28th, 2011, 01:38 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It frustrates me how impatient people are in general. I just feel like there are so many things in our lives that we micromanage, birth just isn't. It happens when it happens. So many people are wound so tight at the end, worrying that the baby isn't here yet, wanting a date, wanting to get it over with. It's so much easier if you just let it go, accept that it will happen when it will happen (and chances are it will happen within a month around your due date, so it's not like it's infinite waiting).

Csections for no reason frustrate me, but especially make me angry that doctors aren't doing something to prevent that, to encourage natural labor to start. I really hate it when the doctors try pressuring someone into scheduling a csection. Grr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2noelle View Post
That's an interesting point.

I must say, I am not the mother that I thought I would be. I breastfed for over a year, I cosleep, and I don't force schedules on my daughter. I just don't see the need for it. And that's probably a topic for another board too. LOL! But I've become a more relaxed person in my motherhood I guess. I just relinquished control.
Me, too. I've never been a very relaxed person in general, but motherhood really changed me. I just let it all go and follow my daughter's lead.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
September 28th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Bugs me too. I think it's super irresponsible of doctors to do it too. I mean - they can just say no!
I also think it's just weird. One of my favorite things about having a baby was the suspense and surprise of it all!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
September 28th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
those drive me crazy too. I had a friend once have a c section on Dec 29th so that she could claim her kid on her taxes. I am sure he was super early because he was really small and had issues. Birth is not a planned thing people.

September 29th, 2011, 03:44 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
Yeah I was watching that yesterday too and as soon as I heard her say that I had to shut it off.

The waterbirth in the episode before that one though was nice
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

September 29th, 2011, 07:45 AM
*~Ginny~*'s Avatar RN - Student CNM :)
Send a message via AIM to *~Ginny~*
I'm not allowed to watch TLC birth shows...way too much yelling is involved

September 29th, 2011, 08:05 AM
HONEYBUNNY61's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hate that show. They all have c/s.

VBAC, NATURAL BIRTHING, BREASTFEEDING, BABYWEARING, CLOTH DIAPERING MOM!
September 29th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2seven View Post
Yeah I was watching that yesterday too and as soon as I heard her say that I had to shut it off.

The waterbirth in the episode before that one though was nice
I probably should have done that instead of staring angrily at her for 30 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Ginny~* View Post
I'm not allowed to watch TLC birth shows...way too much yelling is involved
LOL!!!!! They do have some really nice ones sometimes. I've seen some wonderful natural and water births...

But the show I really hate is Baby's First Day! UGH!!!! I have yet to see one where the doctor's DON'T intervene. Seriously...everyone doesn't need pitocin, cervadil, balloons, etc! I actually have stopped watching that one. I'm sure it raises my blood pressure.

I miss House of Babies.

September 29th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Definitely bugs me as well. One of my friends wanted to schedule a C-section for her first and her OB said no She delivered him vaginally and was happy about it afterward.

September 30th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post
Definitely bugs me as well. One of my friends wanted to schedule a C-section for her first and her OB said no She delivered him vaginally and was happy about it afterward.
Great OB! I have a feeling that my doctors would also give me the side eye if I were to request a c-section.

October 3rd, 2011, 11:52 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I don't get it either

the only surgery I've had aside from getting my wisdom teeth removed, was knee surgery and it SUCKED. I hated it and I hated the recovery, it was really hard! I can't imagine taking care of a newborn and recovering from surgery.

And do they really think that surgery is so glamorous? that it won't hurt? that the recovery won't be harder than a vaginal birth?

I have to say one of the things that bothers me most is comments like "oh I didn't want to get 'stretched out' down there" or any number of equally stupid things that women say. My vagina is in perfect working order thankyouverymuch.
October 9th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Veteran
I remember last year, one of the girls on my facebook proudly announced (in November) that she had scheduled her child's C/S delivery for January. I never thought that women actually did that! I had to bite my tongue so hard, because I just wanted to respond "***?! Really?!" Among much worse things.
October 12th, 2011, 02:14 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
SIgh...that is all!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search