Eye goop.

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
So we didn't put the eye stuff on Carson at birth (nor did we with Hunter) I am very sure I don't have gonorrhea or chlamydia lol. Today I took him in for his newborn check up and she prescribed me the cream - she said it looked like he had a clogged eye duct, which really didn't IMO seem like a good reason to use an antibiotic. But then thinking about it, being GBS + I wonder if maybe the eye goop would be a good idea? I don't know if that can pass that way. I did do the hibiclens during labor (and am I the only person who thought that burnt like crazy?!) but there is always a chance... I am going to call my midwife tomorrow and get her opinion before I do anything, just curious what you ladies think.

Facebook
September 28th, 2011, 06:40 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
I think shes just trying to make it seem like something went "wrong" cause you had a homebirth lol. I wouldn't even worry about using the eye goop. Call your midwife for sure

September 29th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Quote:
Originally Posted by HippyMomOf4 View Post
I think shes just trying to make it seem like something went "wrong" cause you had a homebirth lol. I wouldn't even worry about using the eye goop. Call your midwife for sure
That's kind of the feeling I got! It was almost as if she couldn't stand the fact that he was born at home and had NOTHING done to him, it seemed like she had this huge desire to do something/put something into my child!

Facebook
September 29th, 2011, 06:31 AM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i wouldnt use it,but thats me. I would massage the area and squirt breastmilk into it...its surprising how quick it clears up with breastmilk (providing you are breastfeeding)

September 29th, 2011, 12:11 PM
KristenV's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza View Post
i wouldnt use it,but thats me. I would massage the area and squirt breastmilk into it...its surprising how quick it clears up with breastmilk (providing you are breastfeeding)
That's exactly what my pediatrician told me to do for Abigail's clogged duct

Thank you AlexAiden Mommy for my siggy!

September 29th, 2011, 12:48 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
^^That is what I thought was a common "home remedy" for a clogged duct. I agree the doc might have just been irritated that he had no "modern medicine" at birth and felt the need to do SOMETHING. Lol.

Love his name, BTW. Was wondering what you chose
September 29th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't use it either.

And no, it wouldn't help against GBS. The aforementioned diseases are the ONLY things it helps protect against.

September 29th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't use it

September 29th, 2011, 06:39 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I wouldn't use it either. I'd do the breast milk and gentle massage like everyone else suggested. Abri had clogged tear ducts for a year and our pedi office never gave us anything. If it lasts longer than a year then they may talk about having it opened surgically
September 29th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ditto the breast milk.
However - I don't think it would only help against STDs - at this point other bacteria could be in babies eyes - so an antibiotic would kill the infection. I would just try the lovely momma made antibiotic -- breast milk first.
I know the hospital tried to get me to use eye goop when she was hospitalized after birth - and I was like - well unless you guys are going to expose her to something nasty - I don't see a reason for it .

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
October 7th, 2011, 12:10 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Just lurking here. Several of my kids have had blocked tear ducts, actually more have than haven't. Shawnie has this problem and has a goopy eye almost every day. I have never worried about this because for all my kids it cleared up on its own by the time they were about a year old. I just keep it clean as much as possible. The breast milk trick hasn't helped Shawnie any. My pediatrician isn't worried about it but I know some pedi's are weird about this and make a bigger deal about it than they need to. I remember when Jeremy was little I was seeing another pediatrician at the time. I would wipe his eye off every time before I took him in just so that they wouldn't bug me about it. My pedi is much more laid back.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
October 7th, 2011, 12:16 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
Hibiclens burnt really bad!!! I think I was probably 5-6cm by the time I used it so I'm sure that didn't help.
October 8th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lurking.. its been a while since I've been here since my little one is almost 7 months old now..
BUT if he has a clogged duct, the best thing you can do for it is take a warm moist wash cloth and gently massage/wipe away the "goop." And a clogged duct is really nothing to panic about. I had the eye stuff done with my first, not knowing any other way, and he still got a clogged and infected duct despite my best efforts. With my second (the almost 7 month old) I didn't do eye goop and he never even got the duct goo in his eyes. Its really just a toss up imo if they will get it or not, its not anything you did or didn't do.

IF he has an infected clogged duct- when my first had this problem he was not given any cream.. he was put on some antibiotic eye drops. I never tried the milk trick, but have heard more positive responses than negative (as in "it didn't work.").

So I personally wouldn't do the cream. A blocked duct is pretty normal and will likely work itself out.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search