Thinking about natural birth with #2

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2006, 01:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So here is my story. I had a medicated birth with DD. I had even said I wanted to go as far as I could without drugs, but I feel like I chickened out. I could handle early labor no problem, even active labor wasn't that bad, but I was afraid of what transition would be like and pushing so I got the epidural. I tore really bad and did not like the effects of the epidural, but everyone I know gets one and that is just how everyone says you should do it. My mom has had 10 children and almost all were medicated. Well, I feel very strongly like I want to go natural this time around. I even changed to a midwife this time and will go for my first appointment tomorrow. I really like the idea of laboring in water and I want to squat and birth. I am having a hospital birth because I couldn't afford it otherwise. I have great insurance and the cost of one would be like thousands of dollars versus 200. So no home birth, but I still want to go naturaly in the hospital. I like the idea of not being strapped to a bed to have my baby. Some of my fears are that I really won't be able to handle it. The other major one is my Dh is sweet and loving, but I worry that he won't be very there for me. I mean he was there for DD's birth, but there wasn't much he had to do but watch me in a hospital bed. I am afraid of birthing alone and in pain. I read a great natural childbirth book called "Birthing From Within". Does anyone have any one style they like the best? Any books you would recommend?

I really am interested in this and hope I can do this. I don't want discouraging nurses or people who will push me to go for the drugs and I want support. How did you get it? Just any words of advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

July 3rd, 2006, 05:32 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Wow, welcome, and congrats LuvEmm. I recommend signing up for a NATURAL childbirth class such as Bradley, Birthing from Within, or the like. They really include spouses (s/o) to help prepare them to help YOU.

I loved the book Birthing From Within. Others that I encourage you to read are:

The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way (whether or not you choose Bradley, there is great info in there)
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
The Birth Book

And, just like you are doing, surround yourself with women who encourage, not discourage, you. Again, a NCB class will get you in contact with other NCB mommas. Another idea for getting personal support (beyond us here ) is looking into your local LLL - there are usually many crunchy momma's who advocate NCB in those groups and could be a good help.

You know Luv? You CAN handle it. If you could get through early and active labor with no medications, truth be told, you probably went for the meds DURING transition. I have no DOUBT you CAN do this - its just, how much do YOU WANT to do this? That will be the deciding factor.

Final idea, if dh doesn't want to attend NCB classes with you and/or you truly fear his participation level, look into a doula. There are great ones from DONA, CAPPA, and Bradley. There are even ones out there who are doulas-in-training that have to fulfill a certain requirement for certification and will do it for cheaper and even free.

Again, welcome!

Bellies & Babies Blogger
July 3rd, 2006, 01:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey thanks for that info Wonderfullymade! I have definately thought about going for a Doula, but the money is a deciding factor. That's great to know some can do it cheap or even free. I will have to look into that. I am going to a midwife group and there are 7 delivering in the group. I will have to get more info on child birth classes and things. I would definately like to take one.

Anyway, thanks for the support. I am becoming more confident about being able to do this. I just have to keep going! THANKS!

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

July 4th, 2006, 03:19 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I ditto everything wonderfully made siad esp the books. Great books!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search