Advice Needed.

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 8th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Six in the City
I had dreamed about a natural childbirth since before I found out I was pregnant with my 4th. Go into labor on my own, labor in the tub/shower and just enjoy the experience (as much as possible obviously), deliver without pain medication and instantly bond and feel good after having baby instead of how I get when I have had an epidural. Well at 32 weeks that took a turn and now I don't know if I will get my natural labor but I really want to get the chance to go into labor naturally so I need some advice, without judgement please. Here is my story:

At 32 weeks pregnant they noticed I was +3 protein in my urine with an elevation of blood pressure- I did my 24 hr urine test with protein in there but it wasn't outrageously high so we've just been doing weekly appointments. Well at 33 weeks we had a decrease in movement, failed NST and just barely passed her BPP (biophysical profile). 34 weeks she was doing alright. 35 weeks- failed NST, failed BPP- went into preterm labor contracting every 4 minutes which was stopped with terbutaline. The next day I saw a high risk doctor (maternal fetal health) and he did another BPP which she passed at the 28 minute mark when the cut-off is 30 minutes (so another barely). They want me to go into labor and deliver her ASAP but there isn't enough to warrant a medical induction at 35 weeks unless I start having more decreased fetal movement or start to contract more on my own. I went in again on Friday to be seen +2 protein, +3 ketones, dilated to 2. We are now talking about induction and an amnio- all of which I want to avoid. My OB and the high risk doctor really want to see me go into labor on my own to avoid any interventions.

I am 36 weeks on Monday. I know this is early and she will likely be in the NICU but we have all agreed the NICU is better than fetal demise. So what can I do to help encourage labor to start? My body is clearly ready- which the high risk doctor said points to needing her out NOW rather than waiting to term. You just have to have so many markers in order for them to order an induction before 37 weeks and I am missing ONE, I really don't want to risk losing my daughter because I am missing one more check on the list of "do we induce or do we wait..."

I have a big exercise ball and wonder if this would help bring her down any? What about EPO? Or anything else?

Also, how do I cope with hospital interventions and my desire for a natural childbirth? I can birth with tolerable pain as long as my water is in tact and hasn't been ruptured. Which had been my goal to begin with... any other tips?

Make a pregnancy ticker
Always missing our angels.
October 8th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Wow, that's tough! I'm so sorry you are having to go through with all of that.

As far as I know, these are the options...EPO and DTD to ripen and soften the cervix. Orgasms and nipple stimulation to start contractions. Bouncing on the ball to get baby to come down and engage and put pressure on the cervix to encourage dilation. There are other things, of course, but those are the main ones. But, as you know, none of it will work unless baby and body are ready.

It is a lot harder, but you can certainly have a natural childbirth and still have in induction with pitocin or whatever. It just takes a lot more effort and work on your part.

In your situation, I think you just need to go with your gut taking into account the advice of your care providers. It's a tricky situation, and one without an easy answer.

Good luck!
Kyron, Porter, Donovan, Jocelyn, & expecting #5

October 8th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Six in the City
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyBird View Post

As far as I know, these are the options...EPO and DTD to ripen and soften the cervix. Orgasms and nipple stimulation to start contractions. Bouncing on the ball to get baby to come down and engage and put pressure on the cervix to encourage dilation. There are other things, of course, but those are the main ones. But, as you know, none of it will work unless baby and body are ready.

It is a lot harder, but you can certainly have a natural childbirth and still have in induction with pitocin or whatever. It just takes a lot more effort and work on your part.

In your situation, I think you just need to go with your gut taking into account the advice of your care providers. It's a tricky situation, and one without an easy answer.

Good luck!
Thank you for the kind reply. A lot of people tend to respond with the typical "wait for when she's ready" which is really what I have always wanted to do but it's not something that we can really do now. I think that my body is ready since I am contracting often just not close enough to warrant going into Labor and Delivery yet. I will use the ball today and tomorrow and hopefully get my body more prepared for the possible induction on Monday. I am looking at most likely being induced on Monday so I am just hoping that anything I do this weekend will help with the process.

Thanks again.

Make a pregnancy ticker
Always missing our angels.
October 8th, 2011, 09:31 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
Sorry to hear you're having problems, that is really scary! I had pre-e with my 1st and PIH with my 2nd and induced for both of them.

this time I did have a NCB at a birth center and I did acupuncture the day before my EDD. I had my baby almost exactly 24 hours later!
October 8th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You've already gotten some advice about getting closer to labor.. so I'll share about the natural birth in the hospital part!

For me, I was lucky enough this time around to have a doctor that is very much hands off in his approach. The hospital's approach in general is that way. In your shoes, IF you have to go in for induction, maybe you can start out with a minimalist approach. So if they want to induce you, ask them for your options. Maybe there's something other than racing straight to pitocin. If not, ask for a minimal dose of pit then have it stopped once things get going, your body might have already gotten the momentum it needs and you can probably keep it going with movement and other labor techniques.

If you go into labor on your own and get to the hospital, just simply tell them you don't want meds of any kind unless you specifically ask. If needed, stick a sign on your door. Tell hubby/friend/relative so they can back you up. Don't feel like you're failing if you ask for something though. Try to stay off your back, try to stay moving and hydrated. If you can eat (if they don't give you food, some places won't, bring your own healthy snacks) eat small snacks to keep energy up. Being in water helps if your water hasn't broken yet. If it has, see if they'll let you labor in the shower instead, the water does feel really nice beating on your lower back during a contraction. Counter pressure on your mid/lower back or hips can help during a contraction too. If your partner can't help with that, ball up your fists and put them behind you on your lower back and push in, it can help.

And yeah, breathing does help. You don't have to "hee hoo" but keep breathing, don't hold your breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyBird View Post

Good luck!
Ditto! I wasn't induced with my first, but was given pitocin for "failure to progress" (ie- failure to wait for that case) and didn't have an epidural. I won't lie, it can get intense but its far from impossible.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
October 9th, 2011, 06:38 AM
MiniMom's Avatar Head Lady Bird
Hey, sounds like you're due a day after my baby. I'm so sorry that you're already going though this...the same thing happened to my girlfriend a few months ago, but she was still able to birth without pain relievers. Her baby stopped growing when she was 36-37 weeks, and they scheduled her induction on a monday. She ended up going into labor on her on on saturday and gave birth naturally. The only 3 drugs that they ended up putting in her system were antibiotuics for GBS, another drug to bring down her blood pressure because she was preclamsia when she was admitted and pitocin towards the end of labor because she stalled in transition for 4 hours. They ended up taking her off of the pit and she labored the rest on her own.

The only thing that she missed was being able to get up out of the bed to use the shower for relief and walking for progression. When you have high bloods pressure you can't leave the bed (atleast her OB wouldn't let her). But, she was able to do it. Her baby was 4 lbs and perfectly healthy.

I would suggest what the other girls said, EPO, DTD, squatting, walking, orgasm, nipple stim (try using a breast pump) and RRL tea. The tea will make labor less painful and will make it more effective. I'm drinking a little per day now and I'm planning on drinking 2 cups of it right before I enter the hospital (probably in the car) because I've read about it's effectiveness within the next several hours after drinking it during active labor. That part might not work, but it's worth a try?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search