Not Scared of Natural Childbirth?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 9th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Veteran
June 3rd (or thereabouts) will be my first childbirth.

A friend of mine gushed to me years ago about how amazing natural childbirth is. She had all three of her children naturally and at home or in a birth center. Even her husband gushed to me about the experiences. I had witnessed all three of my sister's hospital, multi-intervention childbirths, and each one upset me quite a bit. I think I was most bothered by the impersonal aspect of it all, as well as by the fact that my sister was always the last person in the room to touch or hold her own child. It broke my heart. I hated how they made her lie down the entire time - drugged up, unable to eat anything, and strapped into a tube via IV. I hated the constant buzz of nurses and the clutter of medical equipment.

Then a couple of years ago I watched the Business of Being Born and it really solidified my decision to have my children naturally.

Now I'm pregnant and I'm so excited! We plan on doing the childbirth at a birth center with a midwife. I feel like I should be terrified of childbirth, of the pain, of the drama, of all of it - but I'm not. Maybe I'm too early into my pregnancy, or maybe I'm just naive. I'm not sure. As it stands right now, I'm so pumped up about being pregnant and meeting my baby next summer, that I'm not scared at all about the childbirth. I think I'd be more scared if I thought I would have to give birth in a hospital with drugs and doctors and nurses and the beeps and blips of medical equipment.

Does anyone else feel this way? Or did anyone else feel this way, but then panic as the due date got closer?

Last edited by DesireeK; October 9th, 2011 at 09:42 AM.
October 9th, 2011, 10:21 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think you are in a perfect state of mind right now!! I hope that you carry that with your through to the end of your pregnancy! This is how you are suppose to feel, just the current culture and media make women terrified of giving birth. So put your blinders on and focus on the birth you want, try to tune everything else out so you can remain so postitive!!

Congrats on your pregnancy, and I hope to see you around here more often!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
October 9th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
That was exactly how I felt prior to the birth of my first son (well, I was scared about being a mom, but I wasn't at all scared of the birth). My opinions were only confirmed even further by the experience of giving birth in the hospital. All of the things that were bad about the birth were things that the hospital did TO me. All of the things that were good about the birth were the things that my body did naturally. Now that I've done it both ways, I would never willingly choose to give birth in a hospital again.

Keep trusting in your body, mama! Don't let the mass media, other women on this board (or friends in real life), etc., take away from your confidence. Childbirth is an exhilarating and powerful experience, but it doesn't need to be a frightening one. Read "Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth" for some great birth stories from women who feel just like you feel. You're in a great state of mind!

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
October 9th, 2011, 03:19 PM
ELIZAbeth80's Avatar Veteran
I remember feeling that way through most of my pregnancy with DS. I got a little newvous towards the end, but never scared.

Thank-you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!

October 9th, 2011, 05:00 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There's no reason to fear natural birth. It's fine if you are and also fine if you are not fearful of the unknowns. I was much more afraid of the medacalized process of birthing in a hospital than I ever could have been about the pain and did not get more fearful nearer the end either. Yay for courage! You can do this!

October 10th, 2011, 12:05 PM
MiniMom's Avatar Head Lady Bird
I feel the same way! I'll get a little "nervous" here and there, but nothing to throw me off of my decision to have a natural childbirth. When my GF told me on her baby's birth day that her transition was "hell" I got really scared, but after she explained it to me the following day I understood where she was coming from and she gave me pointers on how get through it.

Thinking positively about your pregnancy really makes a HUGE difference in the outcome!

October 10th, 2011, 07:38 PM
*~Ginny~*'s Avatar RN - Student CNM :)
Send a message via AIM to *~Ginny~*
Good for you! Having the right frame of mind is so important with childbirth. I am having a VBAC with this one and I am psyched to get to experience what it's like to go into labor and birth naturally.

October 11th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I'm not afraid of it. Sometimes, as I am so close to giving birth now, I get nervous. But not scared. I'm excited! I've had 2 cesareans, then a natural VBA2C in the hospital, and now I'm having a homebirth. You're attitude makes a huge difference in how your experience goes, that's for sure.

Congratulations on your pregnancy, and I wish you the best!!

October 11th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Good for you!

I was never afraid of giving birth and I've had 2 successful NCBs now (one in a hospital and one at home). Violet's (home birth) did have some issues, but I got through it. The only thing I worry about is having another birth like Vi's because her positioning was so messed up and if her chin hadn't been down then I would've needed an emergency transfer and c-section. But I've researched it and talked to many OBs and midwives, who all say that the chance of that happening again is close to zero. So, I just try not to think about it, and when I do I just remind myself that I pushed her out fine in the end and I can do it again.

October 11th, 2011, 09:11 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
I agree, good for you!! You can do this for sure! Congrats and stick around!

I am on my 3rd pregnancy with that exact same feeling and it has not failed me yet! Going in assured and aware and educated is healthy and good. The scared feelings are from those that are not empowering themselves with the knowledge available. I know I have had specific things I have worried about but the awareness of them enabled me to feel more positive about them.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search