How bad is the pain REALLY?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2011, 04:47 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm such a mush. I just cried reading this.

I'm so excited!
October 24th, 2011, 10:09 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
I contacted 2 midwives in my area. One wasn't keen on the idea of a payment plan (We don't have a lot to spend on a homebirth and i'm almost positive my insurance wouldn't cover it) I didn't like how she replied.

The other one She was nice in her email reply, saying payment plans are possibilities, as well as discounts and that we can schedule a meetup. So I think I'll be meeting with her and seeing if she thinks a homebirth is a good option for us.
Thanks for all your replies! I appreciate them sooo much! Fingers crossed I can have a homebirth. I want a natural, peaceful birth.

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
October 26th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
I feel like a total wuss after reading this thread. I can honestly say that labour hurt and it hurt a LOT. I personally ended up getting an epidural (however, they did not check my cervix before proceeding, and once the epidural was placed I found out I was 10cm! grr...).

I don't know, I did labour in hospital, but they are very pro-natural there. I was able to move around, be in whatever position I wanted, etc, but I was still in agony. Maybe it was the speed of my labour? I went from 3cm to 10 in about 2-3 hours if I recall correctly. My entire labour was only 7 hours.

I think if I was checked before my epidural, I would have been able to do it without anything else, but at the same time I felt my body wanting to push when they were prepping me for the epi, and didn't say anything. I was so uncomfortable that I wanted that epidural no matter what.

Maybe I'm the odd man out, but it was painful and I am glad I got pain meds lol.

October 26th, 2011, 08:27 AM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
Well with my DD I'm thrilled I got meds. And despite the meds, when I had to push I pushed.. LOL Though the nurses tried to get me to push before I felt like I had to.
I just want something different this time.
I found a group of midwives who hold meetings once a month! Next month I'm going to a meeting!!!

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
October 26th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Urchin, your labor sounds pretty similar to mine. My midwife calls them "freight train labors" and there's hardly anything you can do but hold on for dear life. They are way more intense than the average labor for sure. Was your baby by any chance malpositioned? That can make it even worse. I still didn't have a desire for an epidural, but I was at home and had such an amazing support system.

October 26th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
Urchin, your labor sounds pretty similar to mine. My midwife calls them "freight train labors" and there's hardly anything you can do but hold on for dear life. They are way more intense than the average labor for sure. Was your baby by any chance malpositioned? That can make it even worse. I still didn't have a desire for an epidural, but I was at home and had such an amazing support system.
I'm really not sure how she was positioned...the doctor didn't really say much. We were just all happy that she came out healthy, as there were a few issues in my pregnancy that made us all worried she'd have issues.

The labor was such a blur. I had to ask Dan how long it had taken because I had no idea. My contractions were pretty much on top of one another when my water broke, and before that i had only been having mild contractions brought on by cervical ripening gel.

November 5th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Proud Mama of 3
I had a natural birth with my 2nd ( my DD) and it was the most empowering experience!! The pain is a LOT especially once you get the shakes. I had a doula, my friend and my husband (although he got scared by my moans and kinda holed up in the corner lol). I used the tub, shower, electric tea lights, rocking and moaning and once I hit transition (I didn't realize it was transition at the time) I asked for the epidural (which didn't help until the afterbirth... and I specifically asked my doula to please keep encouraging me not to. My chiropractor was there and she was more helpful than my doula!!!). This time I want to labor as much at home as I can since I'm back in my hometown in my homestate and I can't find a midwife anywhere here!!! BOO!!!

You CAN do it!

It hurts... A LOT!! But it's worth it to go natural. I felt so connected to my inner primal woman... It was amazing!! I will do it all over again!
November 5th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
I like the term "freight train labors"! That was how Lily was for sure, contractions immediately one on top of the other and lasting a long time. Total labor of just under 7 hours and went from 4.5cm to her born in 3 hours. There was no break between contractions or anything, it was a blur. She was positioned perfectly though.

Vi's was similar, although the first 2 hours the contractions were slightly further apart, but after that super fast and I was pushing about 6 hours after the first contraction. But she was malpositioned and got stuck in the birth canal for 3 hours before I got her out.

I talk to so many women and read so many birth stories where they say things like they had breaks between contractions, etc and I had none of that. It was just like BAM! I'm in labor and there was no almost no time to breathe between contractions. We'll see if this baby is like that as well.

November 6th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
1st birth: Painless.... Was at 9cm and having the time of my life when we got to the hospital. Had a cervical lip and then everything went downhill. Didn't want to be in the hospital, was uncomfortable so my cervix started closing for 2hrs and THAT was painful.

2nd: Homebirth, painful but manageable. More exhausting than anything!! Had beautiful imagery, like I was on a wave going over a hill and the grass was bright green, bright blue sky and the sun was shining. I imagined this with every contraction. Had the same MW as the first, but wasn't all that excited about having her again so wasn't 100% comfortable...again... and that's where a lot of the pain came from.

Next birth: to be continued....

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

November 6th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you all for your responses in this thread! It's so wonderful to hear so many positive experiences for NCB... I'm with fearless - I'm so excited to be able to have my baby the way that I want! I feel so lucky that I'm in a place and with the means to do this in what I feel is the right way for me and my baby. And of course to have a SO that agrees with that idea completely!

Can't wait to read more!

November 19th, 2011, 04:41 PM
lilmeg's Avatar Veteran
I will start by saying I wanted to go as natural as possible. The thought of an epi actually scares me and I've heard so many stories about too early, too late, complications etc, that I DID NOT want to get one.

I didn't feel the actual contractions all day. I started with back labor. It was solid pain and it was awful. After it got so bad I couldn't move without puking, we went to the hospital. I will add that I didn't now I was in labor until then. It was still 4 1/2 weeks before my due date. I did get a small dose of something in the IV to lessen the pain a bit. My labor progressed very slowly. From 11pm to 8am I went from 2-4 cm. I ended up getting pitocin after breaking my water didn't work. DS was finally born at 6:40pm. I did feel quite a burn right before his head came out I believe you may feel this even with an epi? Also, you will still feel pressure and sometimes that can get intense. Sometime in the last few hours before he was born, I did get another dose of whatever I had before just because of the back pain. The contractions themselves weren't near as bad as the back pain. Yes it hurt, but it was definitely something I could handle. I just kept my breathing slow and steady and tried to relax my body as much as possible. If I held my breath or tensed up, it was much worse. The birthing ball they had really helped. I know for sure I will never get an epi. I loved the control I had of my body for pushing and working with the contractions. I was also glad I could be mentally alert for my first moments with my baby. Hope you have a great experience whatever you decide.
BFP 10/23/10 -- partial molar MC
BFP 7/4/11- DD born 2/17/12 @ 37 weeks
BFP 7/20/13 Here we go again!

December 1st, 2011, 06:09 PM
MiniMom's Avatar Head Lady Bird
Now that I had my child I can finally answer this question!

After going through my own natural childbirth about a month ago, I found the contractions to be managable, but not speciafically painful. I was able to get through them with breathing and positve thinking. I think how you see birth is what will determine how you interpret the pain. I saw the pain as a "good" thing because it meant the more pain, the more I was progressing. If I had to do it all over again, I would. The only part that I found to be overwhelming during my labor was the pushing part...I wasn't mentally prepaired for the amount of time I had to push my daughter out because she was posterior. I also had back labor during that part. I knew that she was posterior the whole pregnancy, but I didn't think I'd be pushing for 1.5 hours - even though I had a waterbirth!

Hope that helps!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search