Midwife induction

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 21st, 2011, 09:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
So I am coming up on my due date and there is no action to be had here.

So what do midwives do when they induce you?? I had a hospital induction the first time.

November 22nd, 2011, 03:24 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Are they CPMs? Or CNMs? That generally makes a big difference in how they do things. But even then, the methods are different for every midwife- each midwife prefers a different method. It also depends on things like the state of your cervix, your EDD, and your medical history. A good midwife practicing the midwifery model (giving evidence-based care) won't do anything at all until after 41 or 42 weeks.

November 22nd, 2011, 07:58 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^^ What Que said.

If you are seeing "lay" midwives they shouldn't really do anything until your 41st appointment, at which point they might start giving you suggestions on natural ways to induce. Mine just had me do an NST in office and said if I make it a few more days they would like to see me again to decide what we want to do.

If you are seeing CNM's, that could range from what I listed above to a total medical induction because they are in the hospital and overseen by OB's.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
November 22nd, 2011, 10:40 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with PPs, it totally depends on what Midwife you have. Some don't do inductions at all because they feel baby will come when ready, and some will send you to the hospital past a certain gestation age. Other Midwives use "natural" inductions like herbs, some will do sweeps, and some use Pitocin (but normally have to do that in a hospital).
November 22nd, 2011, 11:24 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know how it is elsewhere, but my midwives (CNMs in a hospital) weren't even able to prescribe the induction meds they used on me with my stillbirth... they had to get an OB to order it all, even though the Midwife was the one at my side.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
November 22nd, 2011, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarmagic View Post
I don't know how it is elsewhere, but my midwives (CNMs in a hospital) weren't even able to prescribe the induction meds they used on me with my stillbirth... they had to get an OB to order it all, even though the Midwife was the one at my side.
That's an unfortunate situation. It varies state by state. I know in Ga, CNM's are overseen by OB's, but they can still prescribe meds.

November 22nd, 2011, 01:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am at a free standing birth center so I doubt they will be able to administer any medications. She has done a membrane sweep the past 3 visits and that has yet to start labor but it is making my cervix change each week!

I am now sitting at 4cm and 50% effaced with a bulging bag of waters. She says we are waiting until 41 weeks to talk about anything so that will be at my Nov 30th appointment. My thoughts at this point is that she is just gonna break my water. I am frankly surprised I haven't had it happen on it's own yet!

November 22nd, 2011, 07:37 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My midwife wasn't going to even sweep my membranes until my 41st week. It was my second baby and right at my 40 week appt I had nothing going on down there. No dilation, no effacement. I left the appt pretty defeated and mad. By later that night my water had broken and had my baby the next morning! I wouldn't be too upset about nothing happening yet. Baby just needs more baking
November 23rd, 2011, 03:10 AM
Oh wow! 4cm! You have LOTS of action going on down there! Have faith! That baby will be here before you know it!

November 23rd, 2011, 10:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you so much for your encouraging words Que!!!!

November 26th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am sure since you are already 4cm once she breaks your water i am sure you will go into labor quickly on your own

with my last i was 4cm for over a week and a half so went to be induced hooked me up to all the monitors, iv and started pit on the lowest dose about an hour later came in and broke my water about an hour after breaking my water i went from 5cm to 10cm with no pushing she kinda just slid out

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
November 28th, 2011, 09:20 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
It won't be long now, just try and relax and enjoy these last days of pregnancy My midwives wouldn't induce unless a problem came up, after 41 weeks they did NST's twice a week and then 3 times a week after 42 to make sure baby was still ok, they told me as long as baby was ok they would let me go until baby decided his/her birthday

November 29th, 2011, 07:05 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancherandcitygal View Post
I am at a free standing birth center so I doubt they will be able to administer any medications. She has done a membrane sweep the past 3 visits and that has yet to start labor but it is making my cervix change each week!

I am now sitting at 4cm and 50% effaced with a bulging bag of waters. She says we are waiting until 41 weeks to talk about anything so that will be at my Nov 30th appointment. My thoughts at this point is that she is just gonna break my water. I am frankly surprised I haven't had it happen on it's own yet!
You are so close!! I bet it happens so soon for you... and probably quick with how much progress you have made so far. Keep trusting the process and before you know it your babe will be in your arms!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
November 29th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Still hanging out here at the same spot. I see her tomorrow so will let you all know the plan!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search