I was confident but now....

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Stacia
I was confident that I could do a natural birth but I've lost that over the past week. I'm now going to be induced at 36 weeks and four days due to a pregnancy related blood clotting disorder that caused me to have a minor stroke at 24 weeks. I'm a bit freaked out about being induced with the entire labour being in the hospital and my body being forced into labour before it is ready, it all seems so unnatural. I've read horror stories on JM of how much worse induced labour is than going into labour naturally. So now new rule, no more birth stories for me! I do not want an epi and really want a natural birth. Anyone out there able to set my mind at ease? Is an induced birth really worse than going into labour naturally?
July 7th, 2006, 04:52 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Stacia - it is harder, I am not going to lie to you, but it is still doable. Please read my gals' birthstory here. My main thing was to get into 'the zone' and stay there. The reason is that your contractions in an induction are unnatural and act unnaturally - sometimes not giving you warning before they start. So, I had to get into 'the zone' (lol- my term for preparedness) and stay there. No chit-chat between contractions unless it was to convey something of utmost importance ("your breath stinks, don't breath on me", "I need to pee", "don't let that bitty nurse back in here or I will 'contract' her head", etc..).

Do you have a doula or support person who has been reading/educated themselves on NCB (DH/SO)? They can REALLY help you through a situation like this.

Another thing to think about is this: have you talked to your doctor about your mode of induction? I STRONGLY urge AGAINST Cytotec. I have been devoting the last 4 years to studying this medication as it almost claimed my life. It is NOT a good drug! Cervidil, Foley Catheterization, and Pitocin pale in comparison to Cytotec. Oh, I just noticed you are in Australia. It may not be called Cytotec (brand name) there - but the manufacturing pharmecutical name for it is Misoprostol. (do not be decieved - insert diabolical laugh).

Finally, though your plans may change a little (IV, induction, EFM etc..) you can still keep MOST of your options open and don't forget that. IT IS DOABLE!!!! I would recommend sitting down and rewriting/writing a birth plan with this new information in it. Find out what mode of induction doc is going to use/you ahve agreed to using and write down those things that you know are kit and caboodle with it (i.e. IV or EFM, etc...) then work around those things.

If you want to PM me, we can talk more or reply to this thread. Hon, hang in there, you can do this still! (that's me cheering you on). lol!

Edited to add the part about Australia..

Bellies & Babies Blogger
July 7th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Phoenix2Light's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix2Light
I wasn't induced (the doctor "accidently" broke my water.....) but I do have a few things to say on the epi. My birth was really scary but this was because I really should've been talking to the doctor more about all the what if's and finding out about what his plans were (however I just happened to be visiting another country when it happened). I never really read up on getting an epi I just kinda figured that I'd get one if I felt I needed it and not if I didn't. You know...they can't ever really prepare you for the amount of pain you are going to be in, no story or description will ever come close to the real thing but while it does hurt..remember it doesn't last forever, and if you don't get the epi chances are your birth will go alot faster then with it. Epis can slow down how quickly you dialate (they usually do) and also if by chance it doesn't work 100% (which I think that it's rare to work 100% but can be at 90% or so) the pain is SOO MUCH WORSE. My epi stayed with me up until his head started to come out and it was time to start pushing, and then it refused to work whatsoever. I was in so much pain I ended up going through a horrible labor (I'm not good with pain at all, silly me). I'm going to have another baby though (of course that is, I pray I will ) in about 1 1/2 years and this time I am going to be a champ and not get the epi. It's going to hurt...just remember that but that little bit it gets you through is so not worth the possible side effects of having one or the back pains that I still have (or the trouble with not being able to walk or move without being in alot of pain for a few weeks afterwards...thankyou epi for making it so difficult I had to get the forceps).

Read up! Also as far as being induced...hmm...Maybe it's not really as bad as it seems ok? Those last few weeks or preg are terrible! You walk around feeling like you are going to explode and the baby grows so fast at this point. You get to hold your baby so soon! I agree the idea of having it made to be done is a little scary but maybe everything happened for a reason and god wants you to have the baby early.

July 7th, 2006, 08:08 AM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my girlfriend was induced with both her kids and her first time was with twins. She went all natural both times. So it can be done.

I just want t osecond what wonderfullymade said about cyotec. Do not let them use it no matter waht. I don't have any links on it but maybe wonderfullymade does. It is bad stuff.
July 9th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Stacia
Wonderfullymade. thanks for being honest! The midwife was telling me there is no difference. You're doing nature's job, how could there not be a difference?

I have my Dr's appointment this Thursday so it'll be interesting to see what he says. I'll ask what drugs they use for induction. I've been looking up information on induced births and have read that there is a more likelyhood of complications and labour not progressing therefore a higher risk of a c-section.

Once I know more I'm sure I'll have more questions for you. Thanks for the information you've given me so far.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search