What is your hot button issue?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 28th, 2011, 09:11 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you have one thing that you are super activist about regarding birth? I have heard a few from a few different people. One lady (an experienced doula/CBE) said her hot button issue is being induced for high small amniotic leaks in late pregnancy. Another woman (also a doula and CBE and an LC) said her biggest advocacy issue is the time after birth spent with mom. Her goal is to get baby to mom and left alone for at least a couple hours!

So what is yours? It might not be as obvious as you think at first, I know mine wasn't!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
November 28th, 2011, 10:18 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Eh, I have many. C-sections that aren't truly needed, lying to women or scaring them (Dr. Lisa on The Doctors does this all the time), TV shows that show one type of birth, seperating mom and baby, not having nurses and/or more lactation consultants to help new moms, acting as if formula is just as good as BFing so why bother. These things I've seen a lot at our local hospitals as a Doula.
November 28th, 2011, 12:33 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I have many many many hot button issues. The first is when care providers are not honest with mothers, and do not trust mothers for their word. Communication is so important.

November 28th, 2011, 12:58 PM
STL_Beth's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine is just women who generally aren't educating themselves. It's for first time moms and experienced moms. And it's just when they decide they know enough (usually they haven't done ANY research or background) and then they end up with all kinds of interventions and a birth that didn't go the way they wanted at all, when if they had just done a little bit of informing themselves, they could have changed things. It also kind of goes into women just believing every word their doctors or nurses saw and not asking questions.

My Blog
November 28th, 2011, 01:31 PM
HONEYBUNNY61's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Currently, mine is the fixation on baby's size. It's personal with me since I had a big baby the first time. I'm so sick of hearing about it. I'm not concerned. Nobody knows what size this baby is and I will not be cut open for a "suspected" large baby. Please.

VBAC, NATURAL BIRTHING, BREASTFEEDING, BABYWEARING, CLOTH DIAPERING MOM!
November 28th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
^^ Yup - the 'big baby' thing. It's such bull. Babies are goldfish and will only grow to the size of their tank! (unless GD or deformed pelvis's are involved )

and - We're going to induce because your last labour was so fast. (like what? It was so quick you couldn't f*** around with it - so you are going to get the jump start of things and intervene before there is any chance at normal? fan freaken tastic!)

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
November 28th, 2011, 04:33 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I think mine is taking baby before it's time. Inductions for being "too big," c-sections for convenience... Baby is going to bake for as long as it needs to bake, and people need to just let that go. Yes, I KNOW the last few weeks are uncomfortable, and it's easy to be impatient, but for heaven's sake, just wait until the baby is ready to be born HEALTHY.

(Of course, if there's a legitimate medical reason to bring baby early, that's different - heck, Danny was born at 36 weeks for medical reasons - but 95% of the time it's just...stupid junk.)

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
November 28th, 2011, 04:54 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmm there's a lot, some already mentioned. I think when I'm talking to others the one that makes me twitch the most often - or maybe the one I hear the most often - is the section for failure to progress *because the hospital/doctor set it up to fail*. And not intentionally, but I hear so many times women on their back, it hurt too much, they get an epidural, don't dilate, they're still on their back, and the doctor tells them their body is malfunctioning. Drives. Me. Crazy. And these poor women are so let down and confused and really believe their bodies couldn't do it, when really the doctor just needed to get them on their feet (or at least upright) and leave them alone!

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
November 28th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For me, my biggest *specific* issue is inductions just because a baby is term or hit its due date. You know, 42 weeker here...

Another, less specific one is when I hear "My doctor said I/we have to...(induce, epi, repeat c, stay in bed.)" It's the double whammy of the doctor not giving mom info or options, and mom not bothering to find out she has options. This is totally different from "We have to (induce, etc) because ..." in which case mom at least seem to have a clue what is going on and have a hand in the decision process. At least to me.

November 28th, 2011, 06:24 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL_Beth View Post
Mine is just women who generally aren't educating themselves. It's for first time moms and experienced moms. And it's just when they decide they know enough (usually they haven't done ANY research or background) and then they end up with all kinds of interventions and a birth that didn't go the way they wanted at all, when if they had just done a little bit of informing themselves, they could have changed things. It also kind of goes into women just believing every word their doctors or nurses saw and not asking questions.
This is a big one for me too. I have so many things I want to say about it, and none of them are kind, so I will keep my mouth shut.

November 28th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My big thing is doctor's being too impatient and pushing pitocin. It happened with Harleigh, and I know for a fact it isn't happening this time. There were just too many complications in my labor and I had an allergic reaction to something. So no epi and no pit for me
November 28th, 2011, 09:15 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Mine are inductions for non medical reasons! Like big baby, 40 weeks time to get baby out, also crap reason for c-sections piss me off too, like i pushed for 2 hours and had to have a c-section, or the baby just wouldn't come out so it was a c-section, the one that drives me the most nuts is failure to progress! Oh and breech birth means automatic c-sections, NOT TRUE PEOPLE lol. I have a lot haha

November 29th, 2011, 07:23 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think I have come to the conclusion that I hate all the medical process in general because it screws with the immediate post pardum time. I could list all the things that bug me but they boil down to they interfer with skin to skin contact and that first hour of bonding.

So many women say they tried to BF but couldn't because of supply issues or latch wasn't great or "insert reason here" and almost ALL of them could be fixed just by the way they chose to birth OR by making the skin to skin after birth a priority. I think if you have interventions you aren't doomed with BF'ing failure but there are things you can do to make it easier on yourself. I think medical intervention is necessary in some situations but because the way the whole system is set up you then have to fight for ANY sort of normalcy to your birth. It's really hard to accept one intervention without getting a whole slew of other ones.

I thought I always had this long list of things that I had HUGE issues, with but I realized they boiled down to that. Kind of interesting!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
November 29th, 2011, 07:30 AM
STL_Beth's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsong View Post
I think mine is taking baby before it's time. Inductions for being "too big," c-sections for convenience... Baby is going to bake for as long as it needs to bake, and people need to just let that go. Yes, I KNOW the last few weeks are uncomfortable, and it's easy to be impatient, but for heaven's sake, just wait until the baby is ready to be born HEALTHY.

(Of course, if there's a legitimate medical reason to bring baby early, that's different - heck, Danny was born at 36 weeks for medical reasons - but 95% of the time it's just...stupid junk.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HippyMomOf4 View Post
Mine are inductions for non medical reasons! Like big baby, 40 weeks time to get baby out, also crap reason for c-sections piss me off too, like i pushed for 2 hours and had to have a c-section, or the baby just wouldn't come out so it was a c-section, the one that drives me the most nuts is failure to progress! Oh and breech birth means automatic c-sections, NOT TRUE PEOPLE lol. I have a lot haha
Oh yes, this is a big one, especially for ladies on JM. Planned c-sections or inductions JUST for convenience with NO medical reasons. There's a reason why baby decides when they get to come.

My Blog
November 29th, 2011, 09:37 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
mine is that small framed women can't have big babies. it is the biggest hot button of my life. i feel my blood pressure rising as soon as the topic comes up.
November 29th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Inductions get me going... that and the forced iv fluids and continous monitering.. Also drs that try to scare you into their POV or who play the dead baby card. Also this supposed lactation consultants pushing formula.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
November 30th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Eh, I have many. C-sections that aren't truly needed, lying to women or scaring them (Dr. Lisa on The Doctors does this all the time), TV shows that show one type of birth, seperating mom and baby, not having nurses and/or more lactation consultants to help new moms, acting as if formula is just as good as BFing so why bother. These things I've seen a lot at our local hospitals as a Doula.
Oh my I watched Dr Lisa a couple of weeks ago talking about child birth and epidurals and episiotomies and the like and she tore tissue paper to describe what goes on down there!!! Any woman watching her tear tissue paper would sign up for the epi as soon as she got the positive pregnancy test! It was honestly horrifying and you could tell that she wasn't pro natural ANYTHING!

Quote:
So many women say they tried to BF but couldn't because of supply issues or latch wasn't great or "insert reason here" and almost ALL of them could be fixed just by the way they chose to birth OR by making the skin to skin after birth a priority. I think if you have interventions you aren't doomed with BF'ing failure but there are things you can do to make it easier on yourself. I think medical intervention is necessary in some situations but because the way the whole system is set up you then have to fight for ANY sort of normalcy to your birth. It's really hard to accept one intervention without getting a whole slew of other ones
I can tell you 100% of my breast feeding issues are due to intervetions performed on my baby after birth (all outside my control he was intubated due to meconium aspiration it was an intervention free natural birth). Which led to oral motor issues, which led to failure to thrive then I was forced to exclusively pump for a month and between the motor issues and the improper breast feeding and the exclusive pumping I have major supply issues. When someone says breast feeding stinks or it hurts or whatever I am going to pump I try to warn that exclusive pumping is possible but extraordinarily difficult and they need to see a lactation consultant before they do that.
November 30th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
One of my biggest ones was already mentioned, but it's mothers not educating themselves. I'm fine with a mom totally reading everything and learning and deciding for whatever reason that NCB is not right for her. But it drives me crazy when women choose to totally disregard NCB without even researching the benefits and then they complain later about how their birth experience was so bad. I feel like in a lot of cases, even if they didn't want a NCB, if they had taken the time to educate themselves on the birth process rather than blindly rely on their doctor, they may have had a better birth experience.

November 30th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Regular
I'm right there with those of you that mentioned women not educating themselves! Although my BIGGEST pet peeve is women not eating a great diet. (also along the longs of crappy/non education I suppose)

I think what it REALLY comes down to is our culture. Women are NOT intended to educate themselves within this system, and it takes alot of self-motivation to move towards TRULY healthy lifestytles in so called 'advanced' society. It's all sooo ironic! BTW, just another personal observation, people who go to public school are much more prone to beleiveing whatever they are told, and just 'going with' what the docs/hospitals have to say. They can't think for themselves! (This coming from a homeschooled woman, that refuses to buy 95% of the marketed 'stuff' most everyone else I know has in their home)
Ok ok ok, I'm ranting now... My real pet peeve is our culture darn it!
November 30th, 2011, 02:56 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Once a csection, always a csection or Unnecesereans.
Doctors bullying women and women just accepting it.
The big baby lie.
Babies dont turn head down after a certain time. I had a baby that flipped til 40 weeks and finally went head down.
#12 is on the way
Closed Topic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search