Opinion on Hypnobabies?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2011, 08:58 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
To those of you that have used Hypnobabies, how did you like it? Anyone planning on using Hypnobabies?

I had chosen the bradley method with Harleigh and everything was going fine and dandy until my OB got impatient. Found out the hard way I am allergic to Pitocin and/or Epidurals, so this time I really am going natural and I want to make sure I am fully prepared.

Would it be obnoxious for me to write out a birth plan when I get farther along and give it to my OB and hospital staff?
December 3rd, 2011, 09:48 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am 3 weeks into my 6 week hypnobabies class and so far DH and I LOVE it! I really think the deep relaxation techniques are helping me quite a bit already. Obviously I don't know how much it will help when I'm in labor but I have very high hopes for it.

It is not obnoxious AT ALL to write a birth plan. I don't know if you're planning to take a hypnobabies class with an instructor or the home study but my instructor helps with the birth plan. The book also has a lot of examples to help you write one. I think it's pretty standard now to supply your doctor with a birth plan so don't feel bad about it!

December 4th, 2011, 09:11 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree you should not feel guilty about giving your provider a birth plan! Just keep it short and simple, otherwise they don't get taken very seriously by the nursing staff.

As for Hyponobabies, my personal opinion is that it is birth 202. I definitely believe it works and I have heard wonderful things about it. But I think it depends on how you learn and your POV on labor/birth. It seems like the trouble spot is either the disruption of getting to the hospital/admission process or transition in labor. Seems like at those points its hard to stick to the HB tracks and then women can't get back into their groove. So the reason why I say its birth 202 (meaning 2nd level) is that second time moms have experienced labor and know what to expect if they fall off their HB tracks and know not to panic, that's its normal. But FTM's panic when they slip off their tracks and start feeling contractions. Does that make sense?

I don't mean to dog it at all... it just seems like a built in flaw to shield yourself against the "pain of labor". I totally get the idea of positive thinking, but if you do find yourself in a situation where you slip off the HB tracks and feel the contractions you are left with little coping ability.

BTW... I totally think Bradley has flaws in it to... but I'll save that for another thread! It totally depends on how you learn and if you think postivie thinking and hypnosis is a good fit for you (like when you are in pain or mad you are more internal with you pain/emotions) this might be great for you!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
December 4th, 2011, 09:46 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
LOVED it! birth story here. you should totally do it!

I don't agree with the previous comment either. The homestudy teaches you how to relax during individual pressure waves. I felt the contractions every time and was able to use the mental images that I learned in the study to get through each individual one. I wasn't necessarily in hypnosis my whole labor. But when I felt a wave coming on, I concentrated and was able to visualize it as pressure that I could exhale down to the ground through relaxation. The study also teaches you all about the stages of labor and what to expect.
December 4th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've got nuthin' on hypnobabies.

But, I am going to have to disagree on the birth plan, I don't like them. I feel like a lot of women are a setting themselves up to fail, you are causing contention over things that you may not need and I think that the healthcare providers dislike them. When things don't go exactly the way that you expect, which they won't, you will have a list of things that didn't work out. You are writing out a list of things that you may or may not need/want, I was amazed about how my attitude about things that I thought were SO important changed when the rubber met the road. For example, I wanted intermittent monitoring so I could walk, I walked once and HATED walking. We talked to a lot of nurses after my hospital NCB and they were thrilled we did not have a birth plan.
I would instead get a doula spend lots of time, going over your want/needs/desires/dreams etc make sure she takes notes. Then fight those battles when things come up. In the meantime talk to your OB judge their comfort level with intermittent monitoring, hep lock vs IV, delayed cord clamping etc. You may not want to eat/walk/etc. Delayed cord clamping may not be an option in an emergency (which was my case), so there was no reason to fight that battle with the nurses.
I feel like natural childbirths are a rarity in a hospital and there are a lot of women that give us really bad names (our nurses had horror stories, that included having a women lock her legs around the poor nurses head, another was bitten and some women had been downright nasty while in pain). So you are already labeled when walking in asking for a NCB then presenting them with a list when they are already busy starts your relationship with the nurse off on the wrong foot.
December 4th, 2011, 05:33 PM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used Hypnobabies for my newest DD (second birth). It wasn't painless, but I was able to use what I learned to relax and remind myself each contraction (or pressure wave, as Hypnobabies teaches you to call them) would be over soon and brought me one step closer to meeting my baby. I also should note, I did the home study course and was not the most diligent student, especially during the maintenance phase. I didn't practice everyday like I was suppose to. But I do think it helped me to have a positive outlook on pregnancy and child birth. I arrived at the hospital complete and ready to push and my DD was born less than 10 minutes after I got to L&D, so I didn't have time to use my hypnobabies techniques in the hospital. The car ride to the hospital was when I lost my focus. I was honestly thinking "screw this hypnobabies crap, I'm getting an epidural" the whole ride to the hospital, but it was too late. Even though I didn't have the calm, peaceful birth I imagined, I am still happy with how it turned out and if I were to get pg again, I would probably do Hypnobabies again.

December 5th, 2011, 10:18 AM
HONEYBUNNY61's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm listening to the VBAC one that I bought on the website. Not doing classes or anything. I haven't had my NCB yet, but I feel like the visual I created and the breathing for relaxation combined with a doula's support will be helpful. Alone, it probably wouldn't help much on b-day. But having a doula to reaffirm what I've already been practicing will probably make a big difference. I think. I hope.

VBAC, NATURAL BIRTHING, BREASTFEEDING, BABYWEARING, CLOTH DIAPERING MOM!
December 6th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCharlotte View Post
I've got nuthin' on hypnobabies.

But, I am going to have to disagree on the birth plan, I don't like them. I feel like a lot of women are a setting themselves up to fail, you are causing contention over things that you may not need and I think that the healthcare providers dislike them. When things don't go exactly the way that you expect, which they won't, you will have a list of things that didn't work out. You are writing out a list of things that you may or may not need/want, I was amazed about how my attitude about things that I thought were SO important changed when the rubber met the road. For example, I wanted intermittent monitoring so I could walk, I walked once and HATED walking. We talked to a lot of nurses after my hospital NCB and they were thrilled we did not have a birth plan.
I would instead get a doula spend lots of time, going over your want/needs/desires/dreams etc make sure she takes notes. Then fight those battles when things come up. In the meantime talk to your OB judge their comfort level with intermittent monitoring, hep lock vs IV, delayed cord clamping etc. You may not want to eat/walk/etc. Delayed cord clamping may not be an option in an emergency (which was my case), so there was no reason to fight that battle with the nurses.
I feel like natural childbirths are a rarity in a hospital and there are a lot of women that give us really bad names (our nurses had horror stories, that included having a women lock her legs around the poor nurses head, another was bitten and some women had been downright nasty while in pain). So you are already labeled when walking in asking for a NCB then presenting them with a list when they are already busy starts your relationship with the nurse off on the wrong foot.
**I am editing my original response because it was brought to my attention I was not so nice**

I don't plan on making a list of dos and don'ts. I just want the staff to be able to get a general idea what I am striving for. I know all about things not going as planned, but like with daughter as long as I am given a heads up and talk about the decisions before I am just thrown into them it is ok. I know every women is different as is every labor, walking saved my life when I was in labor with Harleigh. As long as I was moving I felt like I was actually doing something and helping my body along. I don't want to fight with anyone while I'm in labor, and if an emergency arises I understand, I would not expect the staff to stick to my birth plan just to make my happy. You better believe I would want them to tend to my child instead of waiting to cut the cord. I am sure natural births in a hospital setting are rare, but I full heartedly believe that it can be done. And communication is key. I can't say I have ever met a mean laboring mother, but then again I would never want to. The main thing is I just want open communication between the staff and I and I don't intend on walking around barking out orders. Although I am sure if I started my mom would put me in my place real quick. I do have to agree that women do get so focused on that birth plan and when it doesn't go as how they expected it to or think it should they do feel like a failure. I am just now coming to terms with my daughter's birth because things didn't go as planned, and for the longest time I did feel like a failure. I have learned that plans change and that is one that I am just going to have to continue to remember through out this whole process.

** To those that read my original post, I apologize. Even with my hormones, there is no excuse for the tone of voice that I had in my post**

Last edited by Mom.to.PinknBlue; December 6th, 2011 at 09:30 PM.
December 6th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I did Bradley with Lily and just kinda reviewed my materials with Vi. I'll probably do the same this time around.

As for the birth plan, my hospital actually gives a birth plan form to every patient at their 30 week (or right around there) appointment. You can add on things as needed, but it has stuff about if you want an epi, want a NCB, want them to even offer drugs, what positions you'd like to labor in, if you want intermittent monitoring vs. continuous, etc.

My hospital sees a lot of women come in for a NCB, although when I delivered Lily, I was the first in a few months to have a successful one. But they said many women that come in don't have a plan at all (whether techniques from classes, a birth plan or something else), they're just like "let's see how it goes", which is fine for some women, but I think for others it doesn't work well.

December 6th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I think having a plan would make me feel better even though I know things don't go as planned, but just kind of a way to say ok they know what I am hoping here for. I talked to an L&D nurse and she just said to keep it under 1 page, which I think should be pretty easy.
I'm leaning more towards hypnobabies, but I still have a lot of research to do. And I still have awhile to go too.
December 6th, 2011, 09:10 PM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it TOTALLY depends on what you are trying to accomplish with your birth plan. Are you trying to set a mood for your birth, regardless of how it turns out? Or are you trying to give the med professionals a list of do's and don'ts?

I think the best way to get what you want is to do a short sweet birth plan that allows the nursing staff or anyone else that will be with you get to know you and your desires for your birth. I'm going to mess this up since its off the top of my head without going back to my notes... but the birth plan that I like the most and makes the most sense to ME is...

One paragraph kind of introducing yourselves and where you are coming from for this birth (i.e. We have been trying with medical assistance for 2 years for this baby and we are excited to meet her!)

Second paragraph talk about the overall mood you want, not specifics. So dim lights, calm atmosphere, etc. You are aiming for a natural birth but if something comes up you want to know all your choices and allowed time to make your deicision. (This shows your intentions and that you are being reasonable but you want to be treated with respect.)

Then in the last paragraph but any MUST haves... like if you are just 100% against forceps (you would rather go for c/s then an assisted delivery) put those here.

So that's my advice...

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
December 6th, 2011, 09:15 PM

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search