Packing for a Natural Hospital Birth

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 4th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im now 36wks and DH is insisting I need to get my bag packed.

What special items did you take with you for your natural hospital birth? I am planning a water birth also.

One big thing Im wondering about is food. My midwives said I will be allowed to eat and drink during the labor and I should bring food with me. In my last birth I was not allowed anything besides ice chips. I also have hyperemesis so food options are limited for me and nothing Ive been eating feels like something I should take with me for labor.

I was thinking gatorade for a drink (i can not drink water). What foods would be good?
DD born 1/3/12

December 4th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I almost wanted apples . I'd say bland food. I was super stressed out by anything with too much smell or flavour. Even with gatorade - you might want it mixed down with water. I've heard some women like to drink coconut juice (water) .
Do you want to breast feed? - sounds silly but I was grateful to have 'Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding' with me in the hospital.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
December 5th, 2011, 09:00 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As for food, bring things that are easy to eat, not heavy on your stomach. But I bet those are guidelines you have been following anwyay since you have been sick. And don't bring your favorite because if you get sick in labor you don't want to ruin it for yourself!

I would decide what you want to wear in the water... like a sports bra, bikini top, or nothing. Then bring cozy easy to BF in jammies. Socks and/or slippers. Hygiene products... toothbrush, etc.

Don't totally stress about it you can always have DH or someone run back and grab something for you if you forget it.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
December 5th, 2011, 09:23 AM
STL_Beth's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For the food, I've always heard a carb/protein combo is good, so like cheese crackers. I've also heard honey sticks are good to suck on. For me, I didn't do anything. I really wasn't in the mood for eating AT ALL and did just fine with water alone. As long as you don't have any IV's or other inventions, the hospital should allow you to have food and water or whatever else.

Other good things to pack might be a camera, cell phone, charger, insurance card, something to wear in the tub, something for DH to wear if he wants to go in the tub (they won't let him go nude at all).

My Blog
December 5th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I appreciate all the suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodagirl View Post
I almost wanted apples . I'd say bland food. I was super stressed out by anything with too much smell or flavour. Even with gatorade - you might want it mixed down with water. I've heard some women like to drink coconut juice (water) .
Do you want to breast feed? - sounds silly but I was grateful to have 'Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding' with me in the hospital.
Thank you. Yes I plan to breastfeed. I am not too worried about that because Ive done it before. Im hoping this baby is as easy to BF as her brother was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbityBoo View Post
As for food, bring things that are easy to eat, not heavy on your stomach. But I bet those are guidelines you have been following anwyay since you have been sick. And don't bring your favorite because if you get sick in labor you don't want to ruin it for yourself!

I would decide what you want to wear in the water... like a sports bra, bikini top, or nothing. Then bring cozy easy to BF in jammies. Socks and/or slippers. Hygiene products... toothbrush, etc.

Don't totally stress about it you can always have DH or someone run back and grab something for you if you forget it.
Thank you. yes i have been dealing with food issues this whole time but what i can eat is strange. Its not necessarily things that arent heavy, some of the things I can eat surprise me and things I cant eat I think I should be able to. Like water...i can not drink water at all. Normally I eat vegetarian but ive been eating steak while pg. So its hard to figure out what will or wont upset my tummy during labor.
Ive been looking for something to wear in the tub and i might just end up wearing a regular bra. The sports bras bother me because they are tight, i dont like the feeling of it being tight on me. Ive been looking for a bikini top but i waited too long and I cant find them anywhere this time of year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL_Beth View Post
For the food, I've always heard a carb/protein combo is good, so like cheese crackers. I've also heard honey sticks are good to suck on. For me, I didn't do anything. I really wasn't in the mood for eating AT ALL and did just fine with water alone. As long as you don't have any IV's or other inventions, the hospital should allow you to have food and water or whatever else.

Other good things to pack might be a camera, cell phone, charger, insurance card, something to wear in the tub, something for DH to wear if he wants to go in the tub (they won't let him go nude at all).
Thank you. I think cheese crackers might be a good idea. I think I might be able to eat that. I could probably do honey as well. Most days I do not feel like eating at all so I dont really expect to want to eat during labor. I think it depends on how long im in labor though. Last time it was 32hrs and I think I would have done better if I had some food during that time because I was quite weak. Im hoping this one (being the 2nd baby) might go faster but i cant count on that.
Im pretty sure my DH is not going to get into the tub with me but im going to have him pack swim shorts just in case. He is a bit squeamish about the birth because of all the issues we had with our first child's birth.
DD born 1/3/12

December 5th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
My DH did not get in the tub with me but sat on the side with his feet in the tub. So shorts, swim or not will be a good idea. I loved being able to lean on his legs.

December 6th, 2011, 10:12 AM
nilla's Avatar Veteran
I nibbled on graham crackers during labor. Not sure if that would upset your tummy, but it was easy and bland and just gave me something to snack on when I felt like it.

I also really liked having slippers to wear around the room. I bought a cheap pair at Target so if they were ruined, I wouldn't care. Music was also really important for me during labor-- I had a playlist on my iPhone and we plugged a small set of speakers in.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my super cute siggy!

December 7th, 2011, 12:57 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
I have been worrying about the same thing!

I wore a shelf bra tank top in the water with Owen. I packed two for in the water and one for dry land so that if I wanted out of the water and then wanted back in I would have a spare. I wear them nearly every day though.

I had bagels and cream cheese while in labor with Owen and it was a BAD choice. Not sure if that was because I ate it and then moved right into transition. I probably would pack it again but wouldn't necessarily go to that until after the birth. I like the idea of crackers and cheese and honey! Fruit is another one that sounds good to me.

I wanted lots of choices for clothing for me for while in labor. You never know how you are going to feel and what is comfortable. Slippers, socks, a skirt to labor in if feeling modest waist down, several shirt choices, hair bands, chapstick, Ipod and ipod dock, etc.

When I am done with school work I will be working on this...I'll come and revisit this then.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

December 7th, 2011, 06:32 PM
thank you all for your input. Im taking notes
DD born 1/3/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search