Any advice for me if I need to be induced?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Lilah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I REALLY, REALLY want a natural birth but my midwife thinks it is best to innduce at 42 weeks if nothing happens by then. I trust her judgment and although with the induction it already won't be natural I would still like to try and stay away from as many meds as possible. This is my first baby though so I am not exactly sure what to expect and I hear that pitocin causes dreadfulfully more painful contractions. I was also told that if we do have to induce I will most likely be bed ridden so that they can monitor me. Of course, if this little girl will make her move on her own I will be able to use the jacuzzi, walk around, use the birthing ball, etc. So I was wondering if anyone here had a med-free birth after an induction and how they managed the pain from bed? And ideas or suggestions?

Also, if I end up needing SOME pain relief what would you all recommend? I know there are other medications available that aren't as bad as the epi. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any and all help!!!!!
July 9th, 2006, 06:48 AM
anyone?
July 9th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyInWaiting Send a message via MSN to LadyInWaiting
Okay Lilah. Since I had just had this experience. I was put on the pit b/c of none progression. I made it to a 5 without anything and then was screaming because I had so much back labor and the contractions were excruating. They gave me Stadol and Nubain for the pain. I DID NOT have an epideral. It made me a little sleepy but it did relax me a lot. However I felt every rip and tear made...but it was totally worth remembering my baby girl coming out, seeing her being born and then holding her immediatly afterwards.

I think you can do it natural, meaning with out any pain meds, but I couldn't make it. I was in so much pain and am glad I had the little pain meds. I am, though, still grateful I didn't have the epidural. I was not catherized nor bed ridden through out any of the labor process. I had an internal contraction monitor which allowed me to move freely and use the bathroom as I wished.

Any questions just ask

Stadol and Nubaine were the pain meds.

July 11th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Wow, you weren't bed ridden? I think at the hospital I go to they make you stay in bed if they have to induce. I will double check this though at my appt on Friday. Did you find that ANYTHING helped ease the pain prior to getting the meds?
July 11th, 2006, 12:12 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
PLEASE PLEASE read my induction stories under the NCB stories subforum. I had one with the twins and one with my first, Briaunna.

The contractions with pitocin were harder and unnatural, but nothing that couldn't be handled. It is harder, I am not going to lie to you, but it is still doable.

My main thing was to get into 'the zone' and stay there. The reason is that your contractions in an induction are unnatural and act unnaturally - sometimes not giving you warning before they start. So, I had to get into 'the zone' (lol- my term for preparedness) and stay there. No chit-chat between contractions unless it was to convey something of utmost importance ("your breath stinks, don't breath on me", "I need to pee", "don't let that bitty nurse back in here or I will 'contract' her head", etc..).

Do you have a doula or support person who has been reading/educated themselves on NCB (DH/SO)? They can REALLY help you through a situation like this.

Another thing to think about is this: have you talked to your doctor about your mode of induction? I STRONGLY urge AGAINST Cytotec. I have been devoting the last 4 years to studying this medication as it almost claimed my life. It is NOT a good drug! Cervidil, Foley Catheterization, and Pitocin pale in comparison to Cytotec. The pharmecutical name for it is Misoprostol.

Finally, though your plans may change a little (IV, induction, EFM etc..) you can still keep MOST of your options open and don't forget that. IT IS DOABLE!!!! I would recommend sitting down and rewriting/writing a birth plan with this new information in it. Find out what mode of induction doc is going to use/you ahve agreed to using and write down those things that you know are kit and caboodle with it (i.e. IV or EFM, etc...) then work around those things.

With pitocin, they generally want you to stay in bed, but you can usually get them to budge by asking for a birthing ball or rocker right next to the bed. Some hospitals have a portable electronic fetal monitoring device that they can strap to your leg and which allows you to walk around with it.

If you want to PM me, we can talk more or reply to this thread.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
July 11th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I wish mine had been doable. I had a very tramatic labor experience that should have been a C-Section.

But they let me walk around sit in a rocking chair, use the bathroom, stand...anything I wanted.

All my labor was back labor though. She was sunnyside up and ended up stuck. I really hate that you may have to be induced Lilah. Its not an option I would choose for myself..considering I had no choice this time. She was destressed and so was my body.

I really think you can do this Lilah. You are so strong and capable. I agree with Wonderfully made, you need to find you focus point and keep it. Remember what you are doing and the end result.

July 11th, 2006, 01:21 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Lady_in_waiting - your baby is gorgeous!!!

Bellies & Babies Blogger
July 11th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
thanks wonderfully We think so too..lol

July 12th, 2006, 09:44 AM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't understand why you willh ave to be stuck in bed? Did she say why? I know a few moms who were induced and went natural and then were not required to stay in bed at all. My Best friend was induced with cervidal and pit with her twins and spent most of her labor in the tub.
Have you thought about natural labor inducers? Like blue or black cohosh or castor oil?
July 12th, 2006, 10:28 AM
MaMaTuTu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DS was also OP(sunnyside up). And I was induced 6 days after my due date, because Of low fluid in the uterus. I didn't want an epidural AT ALL. I had the little pill and pit. So for 8 hours(of stong contractions) I used the birthing ball, breathing techniques, rocking chair, walking the halls, massage ball on back(lifesaver), and jacuzzi tub. At one point they checked me and I was 9cm, so I thought okay I can do this!!! Then they checked me again and I was 7cm!! I broke down and got Nubaine. Which I HATED!!! It would knock me out for about a minute and then as soon as another contraction hit, I would sit straight up and be in so much pain. I also don't remember some things that happened. 2 hours later I got an epidural, and was able to relax enough that my DS turned the right way. I never once regret having to get an epidural. It saved me from a c-section! But I do hope this next time, I can do it with out drugs!

I really don't want to scare you with my birth story!!

I hope you have a quick delivery. And remember you CAN do this!! -T

Mommy to:
O(8/9/05)
K(2/27/07)
"Beanie"(EDD 12/18/08)
Tube bean missing since 12/1/07
July 12th, 2006, 02:38 PM
I Smile Because Of Them's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No advive really, except keep it in your mind that you can do it! I was induced with Pitocin with my first son. Hit me hard & FAST! I don't even remember much of it. I do remember it hurting like heck though, I won't lie. They induced me a little after 7 A.M & I had him after 11 A.M. Everything is a blur to me. Good luck!!

July 17th, 2006, 12:51 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There are very few reasons why you should require an induction in a normal healthy pregnancy. I think you will be okay. But I think you need to be reading up on what would be a wise inductions and a hasty induction.

I also just want to chime in and say ladies we have to be looking at the position of our babies BEFORE we go into labor. The book sit up and take notice is great! Get it! Read it! Use it!

Stalled labors with malpositioned babies is common. Let's get those babies positioned well!

July 17th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to JessicaPalmi Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaPalmi
Quote:
I don't understand why you willh ave to be stuck in bed? Did she say why? I know a few moms who were induced and went natural and then were not required to stay in bed at all. My Best friend was induced with cervidal and pit with her twins and spent most of her labor in the tub.
Have you thought about natural labor inducers? Like blue or black cohosh or castor oil?[/b]

I had to be bedridden when I was induced because I had pre eclampsia and the babe had to be consistantly monitered as well as myself for distress, I was pissed at the time, but when my son's heart rate stopped even after an internal moniter was placed on his head I was glad that they were doing the monitering. They were able to detect immediately that he was stressed, and 8 minutes later he was born via csection. The cord was wrapped so tightly around his neck a couple of times they had a hard time getting it off of his neck.

July 27th, 2006, 01:37 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for your replies. I didn't get a chance to reply before my labor because, well, I was getting stressed about it and replying made me thnk too much about it. But I did read everything that was said here and I truly appreciate it.

I did end up getting an epidural. I labored on my own between 12-15 hours naturally but my labor simply wasn't progressing. I dilated to 3-4 cm after they put the cervidel in so initially they didn't think they would need the pitocin. But after HOURS of NOTHING happening they decided to start the pitocin. Even with that added I still ended up having a 33 hour labor. Liliana wasn't positioned correctly and just didn't fit. I ended up with an episiotomy and they vacuumed her out. But she is safe and healthy and that is all that matters.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search