Time for the... ODD MONDAY POLL

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Placentophagy or Pitocin
Hand me a fork, where's my placenta? 6 33.33%
Insert Here... stick me with that pitocin! 12 66.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2006, 06:15 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
If a woman bleeds to heavily postpartum, the general practice in hospitals is to give her a shot of pitocin and then vigorously 'massage' (fold the uterus upon itself through the abdomenal wall and manually press it into submission) the uterus to stop the bleeding.

In other cultures, and in some homebirth circles, though, taking a bite of placenta (or sometimes, when it is prepared ahead of time by a midwife, they will have another person's placenta in pill (capsule) form and they simply drink it down) to stop the bleeding. The combination of extremely high levels of Oxytocin and Endogenous Opioids in the afterbirth both clamp down the uterus to stop bleeding as well as give a good measure of afterbirth pain relief.

If you HAD the option, and began heavy bleeding after the birth, which would you chose? Conventional medicine or 'personal affects'?

Bellies & Babies Blogger
July 10th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I picked placenta, but it would all depend and pitocin is definitely not my choice due to my history. I hemorrhaged with both of my other two kids. I am prepared for another one this time (though I have done everything in my power to prevent it - taking chlorophyll, alfalfa, etc.). When I hemorrhaged after Ani they cranked up the pitocin and it did not help. When I hemorrhaged after Cameron they gave me a shot of methergine and I responded to that quickly. So my drug of choice is methergine, though if I were alone or there was some extenuating circumstance I would not hesitate to take a bite of placenta. Needless to say this is something I have put a lot of thought into given my history.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 10th, 2006, 08:31 AM
DahliaMarie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to DahliaMarie Send a message via Yahoo to DahliaMarie
I chose #1 as well. I am not really the traditional medicine type, so...

This is an interesting question!

<div align="center"></div>
July 10th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
hmm. Whichever my midwife suggested, I would trust her judgement. Im not opposed to placenta, but it wouldnt be my first choice

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

July 11th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Lilah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I chose #1 as well. I am not really the traditional medicine type, so...

This is an interesting question![/b]
July 14th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
well.. i know it is a big question, but this could definatly be life threatning. sometimes, there isnt time to cross fingers and hope for the placenta to work. i would take the pitocin, because of the seriousness of it. you can bleed way too much in such a short time. and when you are in that position, i think all you want is to be safe and with your baby.

i didnt PPH, but i did retain my placenta for WAY too long. we tried everything to get it out. the baby was nursing, i was stimulating the other nipple. me and hubby were soooo in love. and still no placenta. i had to stop nursing, and get into a squatting position, then i pushed and pushed and it still wasnt coming. my midwife couldnt pull the cord too hard, but was looking at her watch and getting nervous. she gave me some homeopathic arnica, and it still wasnt coming out. so when all other options had run out, she asked me if she could give me a shot of pitcon, i said yes. we were in a deperate time, and then within 2 minutes i delivered a completely intact placenta. my midwife said i was minutes away from being transefered to a hospital, in an ambulance which would have been such a bummer!! and very scary

(the 3rd stage lasted 1 hour 20 minutes.. yikees!!)
July 17th, 2006, 12:43 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay, I love placentas! I adore them! I admire them! I just LOVE THEM!

But I would pick out of those two choices the PIT!

Now if your asking me what I would use outside of those two choices it would be different herbs!

July 18th, 2006, 02:50 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would go with the placenta. I am actually thinking of drying my placenta and putting it in capsules next time. it is soppused to help you bounce back from childbirth adn pregnancy faster and easier.
July 18th, 2006, 05:58 PM
I've already been down the pitocin/"massage" ( more like ripping my insides out ) path, so I'd eat or take a placenta capsule anyday. Since we're having this baby at home, I plan on taking a little bite right after and freezing the rest for later.

July 21st, 2006, 08:56 PM
chlodoll
Quote:
hmm. Whichever my midwife suggested, I would trust her judgement. Im not opposed to placenta, but it wouldnt be my first choice [/b]
Ditto! I would prefer to not go the plancenta route but if she felt it would be best I would suck it up and do it!
July 22nd, 2006, 11:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Humm, I never thought of other options. I hemorraged with my DD and someone told me I was most likely given pitocin and I had no idea of that. No one EVER told me anything. Except that I hemorraged some and they didn't tell me that until I was in my recovery room and after they ruled out the need for a transfusion. I think I would go for pitocin anyway, just for safety. Hey, Butter alfalfa capsules are suppose to help with clotting? I should look into that for this next delivery. I don't want to hemorrage again with this one. Doesn't taking extra vitamin K supplements help too?

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

July 22nd, 2006, 01:29 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Alfalfa is very high in vitamin K and it is a natural rather than synthetic form of it so it is preferable to take alfalfa when pregnant. It's also got other nutrients in there that are good for pregnant women and babies. I had blood work done about 5 days before Fritz was born and my midwife was amazed at how good my hematocrit and hemoglobin were. They were almost normal for a regular person and high for a pregnant women. That was all owed to the alfalfa since I refuse to take any vitamin with iron added to it.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search