May I ask?? (TMI)

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2012, 02:49 PM
jillmarie's Avatar Veteran
How are your "lady parts" after your baby was born and what kind of birth did you have (ie. waterbirth, long pushing, fast delivery) and did you get stitches or not, how did they heal? What is it like down there now?

January 17th, 2012, 03:09 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Well I've had 4 kids and I asked DH if things were different he said not really lol so I'm guess this is a good thing. My first was almost 3 hours of pushing and I ended up with an episiotomy, it took awhile to heal but afterward seemed normal to me. With my 2nd child I had a 3rd degree tear after pushing an OP baby out in 20 min, I healed faster with a natural tear. With my 3rd child i pushed 5 hours and only tore a skid mark as they called it, but I tore upwards toward the clitoris....with my 4th I tore a tiny bit and I pushed with him for about an hour because he was still high up when I was complete, from when my water broke to him being born was only like 12 minutes. After all the abuse my vagina has received lol its still pretty much just like it was before kids

January 17th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
With Charlie (my older son), I had a hospital birth, fast delivery (3 1/2 hours), short pushing phase (15 minutes), I delivered on my back and had an unconsented for episiotomy that I didn't need. The recovery was pretty bad. For a couple of weeks afterwards I felt like my private parts had been hit by a truck. According to the doctor I healed well, though.

With Beau (my younger son), I had a homebirth, fast delivery (6 1/2 hours), long-ish pushing phase (1 hour), I delivered on all fours in my bathtub (not a water birth) and had two small tears. For the first few days after the delivery, I really felt only minimal pain if any. Then, on probably day four, the pain started to hit and it surprised me. I think the problem was, that because of the natural labor high, I felt like a million bucks right after the delivery and overdid it in terms of physical activity. I thought that I was fine, no problems, so I didn't stay in bed to rest like I should have. I actually went with my family to a company picnic three days after the delivery and was walking around all day! Bad idea.

So, moral of the story: recovery from tearing was, for me, far easier and less painful than recovery from an episiotomy. BUT, the danger is that with a natural childbirth you might overdo it in the aftermath of the birth, if you feel otherwise physically well, and that will set you back again in terms of the recovery. So, next time I'll want to have someone around to help with chores and such and to scold me and tell me it's a bad idea if I try to get up and about before I should!

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
January 17th, 2012, 05:29 PM
jillmarie's Avatar Veteran
Wow! You guys did well. I have only had two children. My first, I got ten stitches and that was awful after a long labor and natural birth. It also took TEN weeks until I could sit or stand somewhat comfortably. My second I decided that if I tore I would decline the stitches and see if I could heal on my own. My midwife agreed, I ended up tearing just a bit and refusing the stitches. I did heal, but I think i never did close up. Which, I kind of deserved! Anyway, I know my girlie parts don't look exactly like they used to, but look at the adorable boys I got out of it!!!

January 17th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
I had a hospital birth, labored a lot standing up, but birthed her laying upright in a hospital bed. I had an epidural as well.

My labor was fast (6 hours) and it took about one hour to push her out.

I tore a little bit and had a few stitches. Initially everything felt decent "down there." Wasn't as bad as I expected it to be and things got pretty small down there quickly it seemed...lol

Once I got home from the hospital (5 days later) I had some pain issues and healing issues but that was mostly due to the fact that I was doing way too much (ie grocery shopping and doing housework at 2 weeks pp).

Im now 3 months PP and sex is still slightly painful but improving. My perenium is still sore every now and then, but the OB says this is normal when breastfeeding. Everything else down there is almost exactly like it was before I had a baby DH is still very happy with things in that area. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum_Leap View Post

So, moral of the story: recovery from tearing was, for me, far easier and less painful than recovery from an episiotomy. BUT, the danger is that with a natural childbirth you might overdo it in the aftermath of the birth, if you feel otherwise physically well, and that will set you back again in terms of the recovery. So, next time I'll want to have someone around to help with chores and such and to scold me and tell me it's a bad idea if I try to get up and about before I should!
This is exactly where I had problems (as mentioned above). I felt so great for the first few days and thought I could do everything. My DH actually demanded that I stop doing housework and shopping and just lay around all day and do baby-duty and that was it lol. After I took it easy for a couple weeks, my healing got on track and I felt great!

January 17th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had a waterbirth and only pushed for about 15 minutes. But I pushed her out really fast and no one knew, so my midwife wasn't really able to support my perineum the way she normally would have. I did tear and needed a few stitches. It was really sore for the first week or so, but it didn't take too long before I was back to normal. DH doesn't think things are different down there at all. lol

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
January 18th, 2012, 04:08 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I guess I am super lucky. I birthed both boys in a semi-upright position. One took about 30 minutes and one took 11 minutes (no meds to alter feeling while pushing, one was completely natural, the other I had some pitocin and 1/2 shot of nubain earlier in labor). I tore very, very slightly internally with both (the second tore right along the scar tissue of the first) and had a few stitches. But very, very little pain afterward. They healed up very well. However, I do have a different "look" down there because the scar tissue just is not taunt like the rest of it. When it gets later in pregnancy, you can see it at the lip of the vaginal opening. But when I am not preggo (or newly post-partum), the scar tissue is up in the canal where it belongs. You can't see or feel it (according to DH) when it is up there. So I am not too concerned. But it does come down when things start loosening up for a birth. It freaked me out at first, but doesn't anymore. I figure that if it is the worst of it, I am getting off pretty lucky. DH is plenty happy with how things "turned out." Lol.
January 18th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had 1-2 stitches after both girls. DH says that things feel just like they did prior to kids, or even tighter.

Lily was just under 7 hours of labor with about 30 minutes of pushing. Violet was just over 9 hours with 3 hours of pushing since she was stuck.

Healing wasn't painful at all.

January 18th, 2012, 11:19 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With ds1 I had him at the hospital, 27 hour labor, 2 hours of pushing. I had a 2nd degree tear which caused problems. But after everything was healed it looked fine and felt fine. You can still see a faint scar there, but that's it.

With ds2 I had him at home, 25 hour labor, 50 minutes of pushing, no tears. We had sex just a few weeks later and both DH and I thought it felt like normal.
January 20th, 2012, 10:16 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a hospital birth and was induced, had a fast delivery...went from 5 cm to 10 in 45 min and then baby out after 45 min pushing. I labored in water and then delivered on a birthing chair. (Very nice BTW!) The midwife used some sort of cream on the perineum to help it stretch, and massaged it and tried to help stretch it and support it but I still tore. I had a barely 3rd degree tear (midwife waffled between whether it was 2nd or 3rd). IDK how many stitches I had. It's been 2 years since, so I don't remember the afterward part very well, I know I took it really easy and did the sitz baths with the herbs the hospital provided for me, all the care instructions they told me to (rinse with the squirt bottle, use stool softeners, etc). It didn't seem like it was too bad...such as, I was able to sit (albeit gingerly) and it didn't hurt that I remember. I'm sure I took Ibuprofen or Tylenol or both at first.
Hubby and I tried to have sex before the recommended 6 weeks and it was too tender still. After the 6 weeks was a lot better though.
As for how it looks? It seems like the skin that separates the vagina from the rectum (sorry if TMI) is more thin at the place I tore. Meaning it seems a little weak right there. Looks a little lumpier too but everything works the way it should and I don't have any issues such as during sex or anything. Hubby seems to think it's all like it was. Personally I feel like I'm a little looser but maybe that's just my perception. So far just one kiddo delivered, we'll see how the next one goes! Hoping not to tear as bad this time.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 21st, 2012, 05:35 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
This is a bit of a sore (haha) issue for me, because I also had an unconsented episotomy, and the doctor went a little crazy with the scissors (my husband's words, LOL - he said he was ready to punch the guy!). I don't know how many stitches I had, but they lasted a few weeks, and I was tender for 2-3 weeks as well. I didn't try sex until 6 weeks out, and it was OK, but to this day my perineum tears VERY easily if I have a hard bowel movement.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
January 21st, 2012, 09:29 AM
MiniMom's Avatar Head Lady Bird
Things are pretty much back to normal and its been about 2.5 months since I had her. I had a waterbirth with 13 hrs of labor and 1.5 hrs pushing. I tore slightly on the inside and opted for stitches to make everything look the way it was. the midwife said that it would heal on its own, but I was afraid what it might of felt/looked like afterwards. The healing part for the stitches was sort of annoying, since everytime I sat a certain way they would hurt. That area didn"t feel 100% to me until about 6-7 weeks post baby. I also didn't get all of my feeling back "down there" until almost 2 months. I almost forget now that had stiches or a baby come out of me! If only I could my belly to feel that way. that's taking a little longer then expected....

Last edited by MiniMom; January 21st, 2012 at 09:33 AM.
January 21st, 2012, 06:37 PM
HopeTea's Avatar Cautiously expecting #1
So glad this topic was brought up. I think it's the kind of thing every woman wants to know, but might be hesitant to ask about. It's a relief to hear most of you have had pretty decent experiences!

January 24th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
1st - hospital birth, water labor/land birth, pushed side lying - "skid marks" only, no stitches

2nd - freestanding birth center, waterbirth (but only in the tub an hour compared to 4-5 with the first), fairly certain she was "sunny side up", pushed in a hands and knees squat - Midwife said only "skid marks" but I'm fairly certain there was a tear that could have used a stitch or two. (she was also my biggest baby at 8lb10oz)

3rd - homebirth, waterbirth (about 2-3 hours in the tub). Pushed leaning back - almost lithotomy but by instinct. No tears or "skid marks"

oh, and the first I pushed for less than 5 minutes, the second two under a minute - so very fast deliveries

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 24th, 2012, 12:54 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
My first was born with an epidural, laying down. I tore and had a few hemmorhoids and it hurt a lot for awhile. The tear got infected a little, it was a bad few weeks.

My second was an unmedicated waterbirth, I was never instructed to push and did it whenever I wanted to. My son was almost 11 lbs and had a 15 inch chest and head as well as an arm up by the face and I didn't tear or have a single rhoid. You'd think I'd be all lose down there but it feels the same as I was before having kids.

My midwife did say she's never seen someone with such elastic skin, you'd expect a lot of dammage after my second I guess. But not even a little tear!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search