When would you start looking?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2012, 06:52 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I am just curious when other mamas would start looking for a new care provider.

We are not pregnant and really not planning to be until after the summer (possibly even later). BUT, I was really unhappy with my primary provider last pregnancy. DH's insurance is about to change so we can use providers in other states, which is good. We live pretty close to both Delaware and Virginia, so I am hoping to find a midwife in one of those two states and possibly even a birthing center within driving distance.

Is it weird to start looking and asking questions NOW? I just have a few things going on (blood clotting disorder, previous history of miscarriage) that need to be addressed at the very beginning of pregnancy and I need to make sure whatever provider I choose is very comfortable with the blood clotting issue. I think a lot of the trouble I ran into last pregnancy is that my provider was not at all educated on the condition and was uncomfortable allowing me to deliver MY way (which in no way interferes with the proper treatment of the clotting disorder).

So...opinions? Weird to start looking now? Or just proactive?
January 27th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I switched my OB right before getting pregnant this time. I was due for a Pap, so it kinda coincided with that though. But I don't think there's anything wrong with getting some names of people and checking them out now.

January 27th, 2012, 05:02 PM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think there is anything wrong with looking now either. Do you know the exact plan you are going to have after the switch? If not, then maybe wait until you get the new cards or something so you don't fall in love with a provider that you end up not being able to see. But otherwise I think its smart to check them out ahead of time. Do you need a pap? That way you have a legitimate reason to see them prior to pregnancy and you can ask questions when their guard is down. If you go in for a meet & greet about pregnancy they might be defensive, ya know?

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
January 28th, 2012, 11:03 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Actually, I am due for a Pap. We chose not to do them during pregnancy or at my 6 week check. So I might use that as an excuse.

And yes, we will have the same coverage plan, just adding the option of out-of-state care. He has a really small company (7 employees) and two of them were interested in adding out-of-state options, so they all voted to just add it as a rider, which will be minimal in cost.

Thanks ladies

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search