birthing center

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2012, 06:12 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
anyone have experience using one?

This will be my first vbac and my first natural child birth. none of our local hospitals support vbacs which is why we are looking at a home birth or birthing center.

my dh isnt comfortable really with the idea of a home birth he much prefers the birthing center. I found a really great one to use..staffed by cnm's and rn's that have years of experience. They have birthing tubs in each birthing suite (i really want a water birth) and each suite is set up like a bedroom.

The cost is $4500

January 31st, 2012, 09:00 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have experience with one (only hospital & home births here), but I know a lot of ladies here have... I'm sure they will answer you!

Just as an aside... I don't think I've ever heard of a bad birth center experience! I think the biggest thing is that you like the MW's you work with.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
January 31st, 2012, 09:10 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
im giving birth in a birth center next time....i work there, now, teaching Bradley and doing a cloth diaper class but my last two natural births were in a hospital (with the same cnm that opened the birth center now)

you will do great

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 31st, 2012, 10:41 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't given birth there yet but I should in a few weeks. So far all my appts there have been easy to deal with. My midwives actually sit with me and answer all my questions so I don't feel rushed at all. The environment there is very homely ( it's in an older antique style house) with 3 or 4 birthing suites. I'm excited for the experience.

Mine does not allow vbacs though. They'll allow you to have certain conditions as long as they're manageable but vbacs, twins, or breech are instant no's.
January 31st, 2012, 03:47 PM
So far they have given me the go ahead for my VBAC if/when I get pregnant. I havent had any of the midwives/birthing centers tell me no for a VBAC.

The environment of the birthing center I picked is very home like as well. They have a massage therapist/chiropractor and instructors on hand if we want to take advantage. The building is older but they just remodeled top to bottom..it looks awesome! The birthing suites are great..giant beds..big rooms and big tubs...perfect!

Im excited to go this route whenever we do get pregnant again.

January 31st, 2012, 04:23 PM
jillmarie's Avatar Veteran
Hi! I have had a home birth and a birth center birth. Honestly, I liked my birth center birth better. They pretty much made me stay the whole two days and monitored me and baby day and night. They had 24 hour post partum midwives to do anything for me. They brought in a massage therapist for a full body massage in my room.
After my home birth I felt like I should get up and greet people and get my food because I was in the comfort of my own home, which is nice, but I overdid it. Also, I'm the kind of person that doesn't like to be left out of the fun. While people were visiting in the living room, I was stuck in the master bedroom. I could people having a good time and it made me anxious.
One thing about birth centers, though. A lot of them only allow you to stay 6 hours after birth. That is just ridiculous. Can you imagine strapping a six hour old infant into a carseat!?! Not to mention, you? Just make sure it's a really good one you go to. Good luck!!

January 31st, 2012, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmarie View Post
Hi! I have had a home birth and a birth center birth. Honestly, I liked my birth center birth better. They pretty much made me stay the whole two days and monitored me and baby day and night. They had 24 hour post partum midwives to do anything for me. They brought in a massage therapist for a full body massage in my room.
After my home birth I felt like I should get up and greet people and get my food because I was in the comfort of my own home, which is nice, but I overdid it. Also, I'm the kind of person that doesn't like to be left out of the fun. While people were visiting in the living room, I was stuck in the master bedroom. I could people having a good time and it made me anxious.
One thing about birth centers, though. A lot of them only allow you to stay 6 hours after birth. That is just ridiculous. Can you imagine strapping a six hour old infant into a carseat!?! Not to mention, you? Just make sure it's a really good one you go to. Good luck!!
you know..I didnt ask how long I could or would stay but I will!!! thank you for the suggestion!

January 31st, 2012, 05:22 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I LOVED going home a few hours after birth! That was a big benefit to me.

That said, I have done a hospital birth, a birth center, and a home birth. To me, the birth center was basically a home birth with the added annoyance of having to GO somewhere, but far better than the hospital birth.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 31st, 2012, 06:23 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The earliest you can go home after a birth at mine is 4 hours. This is usually btdt moms who are having no problems bfing and had no healing issues (tears). The average though is 12 hours. They assured me they won't kick me out the door if I'm having lots of issues bfing or give birth in the middle of the night.
February 1st, 2012, 09:36 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The average stay at mine is also 12 hours...that's one of the "perks" to birth centers - you don't spend days in a hospital. (amongst other things)

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
February 6th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
I used a birth center and loved it!!! Could do what I wanted when I wanted and I also liked going home so soon after too! I stayed for about 4 hours or so.

February 8th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I had a birth center birth with my 3rd and it was amazing!! I will go as far as to say it was a better experience than my homebirth - but that probably had more to do with the midwife than the location. Her fee was $3500 from start to finish, minus bloodwork but she did her own ultrasounds. I stayed about 4 hours after he was born and I just can't say enough good about it!!

Facebook

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search