Trying to find a Birth Center

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Pleione's Avatar Momtographer
Before I learned I was pregnant recently, I knew that I've always wanted to do a natural child birth. I've read, researched, and studied so much about the differences between birth centers and hospitals. My desire is to labor and give birth comfortably and without all the noise and mayhem that hospitals tend to give. I want control over my situation. I want to be able to control my labor and my birth. I don't want doctors forcing me to do this and that and I simply just want to welcome my first born naturally.

Now that I am pregnant I've been thinking hard about how I want to do this. I've been considering a few options but its hard to decide. One was a home birth but that's an iffy decision. I've been looking at several birth centers and have been having a difficult time deciding what is best for me. I was told that the place I begin my prenatal care with is the place I need to stick with all the way up to the time I give birth. I'm at lost at how to proceed.

My first option is this amazing birth center located in Wilmington Delaware. They have a room specifically designated for water birth which I've been very interested in doing. The concern is that it's also the furthest away. I don't have a car or drive so I'd mostly take public transportation or hitch a ride by my sister or husband. So the fear is that if neither of them can make it then going to my appointments (especially in the later months) will be difficult. However its a fantastic facility. It's An hour from where I currently live out and 30 minutes away when I finally do move. I guess the question is would it be considered silly to rely on transit that takes an hour to get to for prenatal care?

The second option is a little closer but doesnt have the option of water birth. However, they do have rooms that have a Jacuzzi and allows for you to have your labor in water which is still good for me. I'd prefer to have water birth but laboring in water is good enough for me. It isn't my first choice simply because it doesn't allow me to have water birth. That and I wasn't entirely impressed with their site. However if I had to compare between talking on the phone with the ladies at the Wilmington one and the one in Bryn Mawr... I have to give it to them for being very supportive and wanting to talk to me about options to take. Wilmington left very little to be desired over the phone but I know talking to receptionists don't always say everything about the facility. ... Right?

The last option was going to Penn University hospital and doing their natural birth option. They have midwives that work there and have rooms for mothers who want to do natural childbirth. It's a wonderful option and Penn has outstanding service but ... it's still at a hospital. Not to mention only one of their rooms has a bath so I also wouldn't be laboring in water guaranteed. That is my absolutely last option and I'm not considering it. However it's the closest option there without the worry of traveling too far and relying on others. But I'm willing to go the extra mile to be at a place I feel comfortable at. Even if it's around the corner, that doesn't mean I should settle.

I've booked for both the Wilmington and the Bryn Mawr and trying to decide what to do. My husband doesnt like the idea of traveling all the way to Delaware but I do. Or am I just being mad? Should I stick to a birth center that's closer or ... I guess I'm confused.

If I had it my way I'd go to the first option I had simply because a water birth for me is ideal. But if I had to compromise with my worrisome husband, I'd choose the slightly closer birth center.

Any suggestions?
February 6th, 2012, 07:12 PM
StephL's Avatar Veteran
Would the closer birthing center, that has the jacuzzi but no water birth option, allow you to rent and bring in your own birth tub? Or is it their policy not to have water births occur at all?
February 6th, 2012, 07:56 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I switched my prenatal care at 26 weeks to my current birth center. As long as you're able to prove prenatal care throughout your pregnancy I don't think switching to another later on would be an issue if you changed your mind. I could be wrong about this though depending on the places policies. It was easy for me to choose my birth center since its the only one around here. They do have a natural birthing suite at one of the hospitals but I liked the birth center atmosphere better. I too have a commute to get to my place, 45 minutes, but I have a car so I don't know if I'd choose it if I didn't because of the distance. That would be a toughy.
February 6th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Pleione's Avatar Momtographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephL View Post
Would the closer birthing center, that has the jacuzzi but no water birth option, allow you to rent and bring in your own birth tub? Or is it their policy not to have water births occur at all?

I actually thought about this earlier and wondered. I never really questioned them on their policies but I believe tomorrow I will give the closer one a call and ask. I can't imagine why they wouldn't allow water birth but I know some places have their policies. Maybe they will allow it.

I do have family who are willing and eager to commute with me to my appointments (because I don't want to be alone) so that's not a fear. I guess its just how crazy will my family think I am for going so far out of the way for prenatal care and to give birth.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search