Whats your ideal length of time to breastfeed?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree19Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2012, 09:03 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
February 9th, 2012, 11:13 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I know the newer recommendations are 2 years...but I do think that breaking a kid of any *habit* at that age is very difficult. We started the paci at that age and we are just now making progress. So I think MY ideal would be actual nursing until 15-16 months and then possibly doing some pumped milk in a cup for a while after. But like I said, I think it is a personal thing. My first son weaned himself at 11 months (which I did not fight) and I would have love it if this little guy nursed for a few months beyond that. Also
February 9th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As long as he wants

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
February 9th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't know if I have an ideal time. Lily weaned at 12.5 months and Vi was 16 months (maybe 17, can't remember now). My minimum goal is 12 months and then after that, I just let the baby decide. I never forced weaning or tried to wean either girl - both girls weaned pretty quickly after I got pregnant though (Lily took about 2 months after I got preg. with Vi and Vi weaned almost overnight after I got pregnant, she said the milk was "yucky").
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

February 9th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well are we talking before or after I completely failed at breastfeeding and was forced to pump exclusively because of my "broken baby"? In a perfect world it would've been 2 years. In my world, I made it 6 months and was pretty proud of myself.
February 9th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well are we talking before or after I completely failed at breastfeeding and was forced to pump exclusively because of my "broken baby"? In a perfect world it would've been 2 years. In my world, I made it 6 months and was pretty proud of myself.
February 9th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, are we talking about in my world where I had a "broken baby" and was forced to pump exclusively or are we talking about in a perfect world? In my world, I made it pumping exclusively for 6 months, my supply dropped to almost nothing. But I was proud I pumped that long. In a perfect world I would have breast fed 2 years.
February 9th, 2012, 06:10 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
"ideally," as long as the child desires.

personally, it depends on the day for me. sam is 2 next month and a lot of the time i wish he was done, but in reality i am glad he is still going.
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.
February 9th, 2012, 06:43 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As long as they want. My 21 month old still nurses, mainly in the night.
GranolaMamaOf3 and dannimom like this.
February 10th, 2012, 10:45 AM
noworries
My answer is the same as Kristen's. Ideally it would be as long as Isaac wants. But, some days I am so ready to be done. Most days I am glad we are still going. Isaac is coming up on 18 months and I am really happy that we have made it this long. If we are still going at 2 years I will reevaluate and see how I feel about it then.
February 10th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My goal is 12 months. With Kennedy, I had to stop BFing at 3 months because of her heart defect, but I pumped until 8 months, when I had to stop b/c I was having pregnancy complications. Fortunately, I had 4500 oz of milk frozen when I stopped and she has enough to get to at least 15 months. With this baby, I'm hoping he will breastfeed, and my goal is still 12 months. We plan to TTC at that point, and it will depend on how my body with TTC/being pregnant and breastfeeding.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
February 10th, 2012, 12:51 PM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm comfortable breastfeeding up to 2 years if baby wants to. L weaned himself at 16 months.

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
February 10th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would love to say as long as baby wants, but I know that I tire of it.
my girls self weaned at 19m and I was ready to be done.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

February 11th, 2012, 07:51 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm ready to be done at 12 months usually. I weaned Kate at about 13-14 months. I was pregnant and just ready to be done. I physically couldn't stand the feeling of it anymore.

I'll play it by ear with Karaline. Definitely at least 12 months!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
February 11th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Josie+Shpala's Avatar Я русская)))))
Whenever baby wants to stop I was breastfed until I was 2, so if that's when Bub weans him/herself, that's fine.
GranolaMamaOf3 and dannimom like this.
February 12th, 2012, 07:44 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My goal is to do 12 months. Being a FTM, I can't really say how much further I'll go afterwards but I'll be proud of a year.
February 14th, 2012, 10:47 AM
pink_piggy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm shooting for 2 yrs as well, but I'm going to let her decide when she's done. I'm very proud that she's still ebf at 9 mo
February 14th, 2012, 07:38 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
1 year would be good with me...that being said, I am still nursing a now 15 month old..sooooo....I guess it's up to her? I am hoping that being pregnant will push her towards weaning soon, but she is one stubborn girl and I'm thinking she might be one of those ones that perseveres even when the milk dries up!

February 15th, 2012, 05:01 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
i would like to nurse a year or more. I only got 5 months with Teddy due to his protein enterophahies and constant GI bleeds. I'm hoping this baby tolerates my milk!

February 15th, 2012, 01:04 PM
STL_Beth's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My goal is always a year. We made it to a year (barely because I was working FT and having a hard time pumping). But then we switched him to cow's milk at daycare and nursing at night and that worked great. I really wanted to start TTC though so we did the "don't offer and don't refuse" method and well, he never asked anymore. I think he was more than ready to wean on his own.

My Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search