Laboring down?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alison79

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I tried to search for posts on laboring down, but nothing came up.

Any of you have experience or stories of laboring down during your NCB? The videos and stories I have found usually have the mom in the hands and knees position when they do this. I am not sure if that just so happens to be the only stories I have found, or perhaps this is the best position since I have read it can be good for "fast" labors.

Oh and I meant hands and knees position when they labor down, and then when they start to either push or let their uterus do the pushing.
February 11th, 2012, 02:48 PM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I guess it depends what you are talking about when you say "labor down". I think the most often what is meant is when a woman has an epidural and can't really feel the urge to push, then they let her labor down to the point of crowning instead of having her push when she reaches 10 cm.

But when I was in labor with my DD Kate (baby #3) I remember being afraid to push because I tore badly with my son prior to her. So I was trying not push! I kept my chin lifted and tried to breathe through the contractions as much as I could. But eventually I could not ignore the urge and just had to do it. I think I only pushed a couple times before she was out. I think in my situation and others in a natural labor that push when they feel is necessary... I would call that spontaneous pushing. That is the opposite of directed pushing, when a nurse or doctor count to 10 and all that.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
February 11th, 2012, 03:17 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I've helped women do it in situations where baby was in distress or mom was having problems. But in normal situations, I would follow your body's lead and push with the urge. I am a full believer in your body's ability to birth, and you should follow your body's lead.

February 11th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've never really breathed baby down/labored down. I've always waited to push until my body was naturally pushing on its own. I know some people choose to wait to that point and then not push with their body, which I think is what you mean? Just letting their body bring the baby down?

For me, once the urge to push occurred, there was no way I couldn't do it. Looking back at Vi's birth, I do think if I had been able to *not* push with my body then maybe she wouldn't have gotten stuck so badly at first. My midwives did have me not push with my body a few times to try to get her unstuck. But I think for most labors where things are going well, then it's helpful to push with your body when you feel the urge. It's extremely hard (at least it was for me) to not push when I felt the urge - it actually hurt me to *not* push those few times with Violet because I felt the urge so badly and it was like my entire body was saying "PUSH!!!", but my midwives were trying to have me not push since she was in distress, etc.

Oh, and when I was having Vi and not pushing, I think I was on my side with a leg up. I was on hands/knees for part of the pushing phase, but not during that part (that I can remember).

I know a few ppl (both NCB and not) who have had baby just come out without them pushing with their bodies. But in all those cases, their body just naturally pushed baby out without them feeling the urge to push with their body.

February 11th, 2012, 05:16 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
With my 2nd baby (a NCB) my body just naturally started pushing on its own. The nurses told me to stop pushing and I was like "I can't!" (nor would I if I could...) My body literally pushed the baby out. I don't know if that's what you mean or not. I'm not familiar. But I was actually laying on the bed, sorta half sitting, half laying. It just happened so fast and honestly that was most comfortable for me.

It was not at all like my first birth, in which I was induced and ended up with an epi...I was told when to push (and honestly needed to because I could barely feel anything).

February 11th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
From what I read my understanding is that laboring down can be done when having a NCB and it just means that you wait from the time you are fully dilated to push until you feel the urge to push. With my son when I was pushing I didn't have an epi, and I felt no need, yet my midwife had me do purple pushing. It wasn't until I went onto my side after they left me alone to go prep for my c-seciton that I felt the REAL internal need to push. But most of the times while on my back I never felt an extreme urge to push. It was an awful position for a posterior baby. It seems like most people with a midwife doing ncb were told to push when they felt it, and not directed to push just because they were complete. I guess I got some crappy care!!

And yeah I guess I was also wondering if anyone was able to just allow their body to push the baby out versus actively pushing. Seems like that wouldn't be common with a first time mom, but I have no idea. Thanks for the stories!
February 11th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ok, I think that there are multiple definitions of laboring down. I guess the way I have always thought about it is what you said though, so I guess then I've done it. I've never done directed pushing, I've only ever pushed when I felt the urge (except with Vi's birth a few times when I tried to not push since she was in distress a few times). Directed pushing increases tearing risks, longer pushing times, etc.

But also like I said, there are women who pop baby out without ever pushing with their body. I bore down when I felt the urge, but one of my close friends never felt the urge (NCB though) and then she felt baby popping his head out Her body had just naturally pushed him down and out without her feeling that urge to push along with it. It was her 2nd baby though...off the top of my head I can't think of anyone I know IRL or online that had that happen with their first, but I'm sure it could.

February 12th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my 5th birth I never really had the urge to push. I wasn't checked to see if I was complete and I just continued to breathe through contractions. I could feel the baby pushing against the top of my uterus and she did all the work. Her head crowned and I think I pushed once to birth her body but that it was. It was an amazingly gentle water birth.
therevslady likes this.
February 12th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I also pushed just when I felt the urge. With both of my natural births, I wasnt' checked while I was in labor so I have no idea how long it was between when I reached 10cm and had the urge to push.

February 12th, 2012, 05:29 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I'll agree with that. I was instructed to push and then couldn't stop. Teddy was posterior and I ended up pushing for 3 hours, ran out of gas and has a vaccum delivery. I feel if i had labored down, i would have had a better chance at getting him out on my own.

}

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search