I really want a natural waterbirth at a birth center

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2012, 10:46 AM
So i'm only 9 weeks right now, but as plenty know it's not just all about giving birth, a big part is the prenatal care. I've had one appointment with a midwife at an obgyn office, it was fine, but i do not want a hospital birth, i'm almost ready to decide that when i go into labor i'd rather sit at home and tell nobody so I don't lose full control going to the hospital lol.

Anyway i found a couple birth centers that look really nice, one of them has quoted me a price of $4,900 for the entire thing, which might not be too much if i wasn't 20 and unemployed with no job experience. My boyfriend doesn't have a great job but plans to get a much better paying one in a few months, but of course the problem is i can't wait a few months to get care, i may have like $1,200 by April from college financial aid, but i need to make sure i can fully pay what i need by the end.

I asked my mom whom i live with if she could loan us the money, she says she needs to keep that money in the bank in case we start to lose the house, and that i should go get a real loan. No way in hell am i going to try to get a loan with a ton of interest, i don't think anyone would even be willing to loan us the money for this type of thing, and i don't need that stress at all, or it costing a ton more than the money i used. I'm just kind of not sure what to do, to me a hospital birth is absolutely out of the question for me, my mom doesn't understand that it's not just about me being "comfortable" i believe a stressed out mom makes for a stressed out baby.

She's fine with hospitals because she had me and my sister there, she thinks i would have died without the doctors because i was not breathing, but i believe with a trained midwife i would have been fine, and that instead of them whisking me away in a panic and not telling them what's going on, that it would have been much calmer. I just can't stand the thought of losing complete control, not being allowed to eat or drink, being hooked up to a million machines, pressure to get an episiotomy, pressure to get pitocin, pressure to get a c-section, any of it.

Just nobody seems to understand how seriously i take this, and i don't trust the people around me to have my back if the hospital does pressure me, i won't be as strong as i am now when i'm in pain and have hormones going crazy, and i can't trust my bf and mom to be on my side, they would agree with the doctor because they think he knows better, and i just know i'd be forced into something i'll regret if everything doesn't go completely smoothly.

I'm really just venting here lol since nobody can really help me, unless you have some advice that can help.
February 18th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What about a home birth with midwives? The price all depends on the area, so it may be less than what the birth center quoted you.

I've had 2 natural births - one at the hospital and one at home. This 3rd baby will be at the hospital as well. I never had any pressure from anyone at the hospital to get induced, get an episiotomy, get drugs, etc. They were all fine with me going natural. So, I also think it depends on the hospital. Mine has midwives that deliver most of the time as well. I would never go straight to the hospital (or even the birth center) when labor started though either. I'm a big believer in laboring at home where you are comfortable as long as possible.

February 18th, 2012, 11:07 AM
The problem is i'm also slightly paranoid lol, or cautious i guess i'll say, i'd at least want a hospital close enough just in case. At first i thought home birth but realized i'd just worry too much.
February 18th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well, a birth center that is freestanding (not attached to a hospital) has the same materials and protocol that a home birth midwife follows (in most instances). You'd transfer for pretty much all of the same reasons, etc. Both a home birth and a birth center would have oxygen and basic equipment with them. Most midwives at either place cannot intubate the baby if they're having a breathing issue (although my home birth midwives could because they had their EMT licenses as well, which made it legal for them - they just had to say they were working as an EMT in that instance). Both have medicines for hemorrhage, including Pitocin for that purpose.

But yeah, a freestanding birth center and a home birth mainly differ in that you have to drive to one and the other one you stay home. A hospital attached birth center would have the same things as a hospital since they're right there - although usually they'd just wheel you over to the regular L&D area.

February 19th, 2012, 06:27 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know what state you're in but my birth center excepts MediCal (insurance from California) and I know they pay for everything for the women. Are you already on assisted insurance ( not sure what it's called) or have you looked into it? I know for single low income women they pay for everything and some even let you go to the birth centers ( California's does ) so maybe that would be an option.
February 19th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daneeleigh View Post
I don't know what state you're in but my birth center excepts MediCal (insurance from California) and I know they pay for everything for the women. Are you already on assisted insurance ( not sure what it's called) or have you looked into it? I know for single low income women they pay for everything and some even let you go to the birth centers ( California's does ) so maybe that would be an option.
I'm on medi-cal, i think it's up to the birth center if they accept it, is yours centered where you live, San Diego? I wish we had more close to me, i'm in So Cal but a couple hours away from San Diego.
February 19th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daneeleigh View Post
I'm in Cali and have medi-cal, is yours centered in San Diego? I'm in southern cali but a couple hours from there.
February 23rd, 2012, 11:40 PM
Ok so i actually purposefully scared myself into wanting a hospital birth lol from reading stories online of home births with a midwife gone wrong. I'm going to hire a doula so i have an advocate so i can at least have some say, i'm not willing to relinquish control, i just want to be at a place that can deal with something if it goes horribly wrong, i still plan on not being hooked up to machines and being in whatever position i want to, and eating if i feel like it and if they don't like it i don't really care.
February 24th, 2012, 09:51 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes mine is in San diego. And I recommend a doula. Mine was amazing and I don't know if I would have made it without her.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search