Why Natural?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Twhylite21
  • 1 Post By MiniMom
  • 3 Post By milehighmomma

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Veteran
One of my biggest pet peeves and I believe to be one of the largest misconceptions of why women aim to have a natural childbirth is this silly notion that we are 'trying to prove something' to ourselves' by 'toughing it out' so we can brag about it later on to the other legions of women out there who've birthed via medicated.

I'm birthing my son naturally because I feel like it's simply the most effective way to bring a child into the world when you are lucky enough to have an uncomplicated pregnancy/birth. It has nothing to do with me wanting to 'prove' anything to anyone. I don't need to experience natural birth to know that I am a powerful, lovely woman. I do, however refuse to be a passenger during my birthing process and look forward to having my baby with confidence and joy.

So many women are quick to say 'Don't be a hero' and it makes me furious. It would feel the same to them if I said 'Don't be a wimp' when talking about a medicated birth. The idea of disrespecting a woman's choice for an epidural seems so ridiculous and assuming why I would choose natural over medicated is just as awful and sad at the same time.

I think I'll be writing an essay on this after I experience my first unmedicated birth because there is a stark separation between women who birth naturally and women who choose medicated birth and it's not ok with me.

So I wanted to ask you ladies. Why do you choose natural birth?
February 25th, 2012, 07:23 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My main reason was because I wanted some control over my delivery. I didn't want to walk into a hospital and automatically have my water broken and thrown onto pitocin. I wanted my body to have a chance to labor on it's own and do it's natural thing. I'm actually not against an epidural, those deliveries look amazingly calm and relaxing. I just wanted the lowest chances of a csection and for me that was going through a birth center. Yes, my labor hurt! But at no point do I feel the need to brag about it or rub it in someone's face that I did it natural. Hell, with modern medicine I think it almost sounds insane that I'd want too lol. If I could have guaranteed a birth the way I wanted in the hospital with just an epidural, I probably would have done it. But I have such strong opinions on how doctors do things these days that the pain was worth it.
February 25th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had always wanted to go natural. I think the main reason was that I just felt that my body was meant to birth that way and I wanted to do everything I could to reduce the chance of complications from an epidural, induction, etc.

And I may be the minority, but I've had 2 successful NCBs, including one with horrible positioning and a face first presentation that is very rare, and I can honestly say that I didn't find either one painful. There was a lot of pressure on my body, but it wasn't painful to me. It was amazing to me how I felt my body working and pushing, etc. I didn't do it to prove anything to anyone, I just did it because *for me* that just seemed like the best way to give birth.
LadyCoconut, therevslady and meags like this.

February 26th, 2012, 03:48 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For me, it's just easier.

Okay, that's gonna sound funny...obviously it would probably be technically easier to get an epi. But then you have to go through all the rigamarole of getting it placed properly, getting a catheter, staying in bed, chancing a c-section, and facing a longer and more difficult recovery. I'm really not up for that.

I've had two NCB's and have not found them to be excessively painful or traumatic. But what I really, really love about it is the natural high I experience after the baby is born, and the incredibly quick and easy recovery. Like, I feel pretty much normal the next day. So while I'm really not trying to prove anything, I just don't feel like medication is necessary *for me* during delivery. But I certainly want to respect the opinions and needs of others...I'm not about to go around preaching NCB unless someone asks me about it.

Welcome, BTW!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

February 26th, 2012, 05:18 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
My first, because I could. I did not give it much thought ahead of time. But my body did its thing and my midwife knew not to mess with the natural process. If it ain't broke, don't fix it

My second, I chose it for all the "reasons" others have mentioned. It being easier, healthier, empowering, as nature intended. But baby had other plans. So I think I learned something from that too. I am coming to terms with the fact that his birth was controlled by forces outside of myself and that it is okay for that to happen sometimes. Even if it was not just how I intended it to be, it was still beautiful in its own right.

I get irritated by general attitudes about "us versus" them anyway. I never understood why women feel the need to separate into groups. I respect women who chose anything if it is done with education. How can I not? I want respect for my educated decisions, so I have to give it to get it.
February 26th, 2012, 06:08 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I was pregnant with my first I wanted a natural childbirth - honestly because I had seen an epidural proceedure done on TV and it scared the beejeezes out of me - inserting a needling into my spine! NO WAY! And giving the baby drugs, just seems so wrong.

When I ended up in a crash c/s that all went out the window.

My reasons have changed since then. Now the best way for me to have a vaginal birth is to be in control. The more effectively I can push my baby out the better.

An epidural - in my mind would most certainly doom me to a RECS.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

February 26th, 2012, 12:59 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1. I had a medicated birth and it SUCKED!

2. I've had an all natural homebirth and the pain of that wasn't like any other pain and it's just not something I feel I need to numb or take away. I loved feeling the whole birth and my baby coming out. It was truly amazing. It has nothing to do with proving anything, and has nothing to do with anyone else. It's all about me, my baby, and my body.
February 26th, 2012, 01:43 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I have also had medicated and non-medicated births. The highly medicated births sent me in the direction of the midwifery model of care, being more pro-active about my health, and the "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it" mentality. Why interfere when nothing is wrong? I'm not hell-bent on going natural, but it is very important for me to do my best to avoid unnecessary stuff that most hospitals around here enforce. I also love all the benefits of going natural: the after birth high, actually experiencing the birth, and fast recovery (among many other benefits). I also loved the difference it makes in the baby's health.

I actually can't really claim a medal of honor for any of my births anyhow. It seems like that even though I had scary episodes of pre-e in my first two pregnancies, I have easy births. My last one was natural and it was pretty pain free (the natural was actually my LEAST painful, since I wasn't stuck to the bed the whole time). I had moments of serious intensity, and moments of soreness. But that's it.

It's less about what I accomplish, and more about only using medical assistance when it's truly necessary.

February 26th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I can't imagine willfully medicating myself for no reason just like i can't imagine willfully getting induced or getting a c-section just because i "want it", i'm willing to go through the pain and the entire experience, not go to the hospital and have people take over for me. Maybe some don't understand why women would want natural childbirth but i don't understand women who want to be drugged up or have someone else take care of the whole process.
February 26th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Veteran
Loving ALL of these answers! So inspiring. Keep it coming.
February 27th, 2012, 04:41 AM
MiniMom's Avatar Head Lady Bird
I went natural because I didn't see having it any other way, having an epidural or pitocin just didn't feel right...Being poked and proded with needles just isn't my thing. I knew that from the very beginning. Even though I had my water birth in a hospital, they still tried to give me a hep lock for emergency purposes, and thankfully my body said hell no to that as well. (They tried several times to stick a hep lock in my arm, but couldn't find a vein all 4 times)

I also did it because it was one of the best gifts that I could give my daughter. Having her enter the world on her own terms, rather then being told to.
therevslady likes this.

February 27th, 2012, 05:57 AM
LoriLou35's Avatar Veteran
With my first I labored for 6 hours before asking for an epidural. I got one, but it did not work at all. I felt everything. I ended up laboring for 12 hours with pitocin, which was MISERABLE!!!! I decided for my second I wanted to be more prepared for the natural birth since it was obvious that an epidural was not really an option. I LOVED my second birth. I had no pitocin and no other medication. I just walked and labored naturally. I had my daughter in just under 6 hours, and it was the most wonderful experience for me. I don't have any problem with people who choose an epidural. I just think that ALL women should be more informed about the actual process of birth. Even if you are choosing an epidural you should still be in control of how you want your birth to go rather than just leaving it to the doctors to direct you.

February 27th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Veteran
I'll add by saying that while I too don't have a problem with anyone choosing an epi, I DO have a problem with many of the women in our culture who are so quick to mindlessly agree to whatever intervention a doc suggests during their birth. When a woman has done more research and has more knowledge about a car or a computer she's looking to buy than the birth she is looking to have, there is a serious issue at hand.
daneeleigh, therevslady and meags like this.
February 27th, 2012, 09:18 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighmomma View Post
I'll add by saying that while I too don't have a problem with anyone choosing an epi, I DO have a problem with many of the women in our culture who are so quick to mindlessly agree to whatever intervention a doc suggests during their birth. When a woman has done more research and has more knowledge about a car or a computer she's looking to buy than the birth she is looking to have, there is a serious issue at hand.
Such a good point! My best friend is a google master lol. She researches in depth every decision she makes and knows every side to it. But with birth, she just excepts what's the "norm" and does no research whatsoever about what the doctor says or throws at her. Mind boggling to me! Every woman has a choice in how she gives birth and it's her own personal one, but dammit figure out what's going on and actually be a part of the process.
February 28th, 2012, 06:45 AM
STL_Beth's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My reason for originally wanting to go natural was a bit different. I hated medicine. I've never been one to like any kind of medicine. If I have a headache, I usually deal with it rather than take anything. And it's mostly because medicine seems to have a really weird effect on me and I hate the feeling of being drugged or out of it. And the idea of an epidural was very scary to me. So I started researching and decided I wanted a natural birth. Then I took Bradley classes and it made me realize a bunch of other reasons why natural birth was the way to go.

I also want to say that while I certainly did not have my birth to "prove" myself or be a hero, I feel like I did after it was over. I have a hard time not sharing all this wonderful knowledge and power with others and wanting others to have the same experience. Unfortunately that comes off as the only reason to have a natural birth is to be selfish and empower yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneeleigh View Post
Such a good point! My best friend is a google master lol. She researches in depth every decision she makes and knows every side to it. But with birth, she just excepts what's the "norm" and does no research whatsoever about what the doctor says or throws at her. Mind boggling to me! Every woman has a choice in how she gives birth and it's her own personal one, but dammit figure out what's going on and actually be a part of the process.
This also played into my decision. Hubby and I are "researchers" for sure. We research and debate even the smallest decision so when we found out we were having a baby, of course we researched the best way to do it. I can't believe others, even those who aren't normally researchers, wouldn't want to at least educate themselves a little.

My Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search