Call the Midwife

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Have any of you ever seen this show or heard of it? Call the Midwife - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It's a drama series from the BBC, and I just bought it on DVD. I've been watching the first six episodes, and I'm finding it REALLY fascinating so far. It's based on a memoir by this woman named Jennifer Worth, so apparently it's based on true events. She worked as a nurse-midwife in one of the poorest districts of London in the late 1950's. She wasn't a nun, but she was stationed at a convent, and some of the other midwives who worked with her were nuns. They ran a prenatal clinic for low-income families and attended homebirths (which I guess was still pretty much the standard mode of childbirth for poor folks back then).

Anyway, it's really fascinating to see how birth worked in that era. It seems like in some ways it was more natural than now and in some ways it was less natural than now. So far the series has touched on all kinds of issues, from C-section to PPD to abortion to contraception. It's crazy to think how much things have changed (and then kind of come back full circle again) in such a short time.

I highly recommend this series, if any of you have a chance to see it! I'm also going to try to see if I can check out the memoir from the library, since it's supposed to be good as well.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
March 6th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Sounds interesting!

March 6th, 2012, 11:04 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds interesting! I'll have to check that out!
March 7th, 2012, 06:47 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I just finished the first 6 episodes online this week. It's so good.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search