Where are my granola mamas at? (& an update)

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By daneeleigh
  • 2 Post By Jaci_Lopez

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Proud Mama of 3
B]Hi there ladies[/B], I've been away for a while... It's been a crazy few months! My husband got laid off (scary! ), I enrolled in school (manicuring course yay!!) day sickness is gone () and I have a lot more energy!! We don't know what gender baby bump is... IDK if we are going to find out. DH wants to know, but I'm not sure if I do.

Here's my frustration. I am 24 weeks. It took 2 1/2 months to enroll in the state health care since they apparently lost my application. for the past 3 weeks I have been calling and going to "interview appointments" to try to find a doc to match with me. Apparently my problem is I'm just too demanding in quality of my care. I want a natural labor and birth. No IVs, no straps to moniters, no routine interventions. Just me, my husband and a shower &/or tub. In this area I guess it's just such a far-fetched Left wing idea, that as soon as I say "no IV" and "tub/shower" the receptionist/doc thinks I'm a little nutso.

In Minnesota, the year before last, I had an AMAZING natural labor! I had a midwife at an amazing hospital and a doula and my husband and I didn't have an IV, no straps to moniters, it was just me, my doula, my husband and my coming baby. I moaned, I groaned, I got in and out of the tub and shower, I walked and I rocked. And I know that not everyone gets their "perfect" delivery, but I darn near got mine!

Now I'm back in my home-town, in my home-state, and I feel more alone and alienated than ever! I even tried getting a doc in the San Francisco area (just an hour and a half away), and bc nobody can come down here for the delivery and they won't risk me going up there for the delivery, its a big N-O!

Down in Southern California there are free standing Birth Centers, and support groups and coalitions who fight for exactly what it is that I want. In Minnesota there is a free standing, mid-wife ran birth center that ACCEPTS STATE AID, but here? I can only get a doc with 1960-era style practice who thinks the only thing a woman should do in labor is lay on her back and do what she's told.

SO FRUSTRATED!

I went to one appointment and was called "different" and "unique" in my views about labor and birth, and he would not accept me. When I said I was still nursing my daughter, I was told that I needed "to stop that immediately". He wouldn't tell me his statistics (% of births that were C-section, episiotomies, inductions, etc), and when I did ask about those is when he told me flat out he would not accept me.

Im not some dumb kid who got knocked up and is on state assistance. My husband had a VERY good job and then got laid off, and this is all I have right now. I have 2 children already, and I have a very good idea of the pain that labor actually is, from experience. I also know how empowering and rewarding it feels to be natural and to tap into those primal instincts that all of us women have deep inside of us, and to feel that connection deeper inside to not only my child that I am bringing into this world, but also to other women around me.

Any granola moms with some encouragement, it would be greatly appreciated! This has been a very trying, and emotional experience, not just bc of hormones, but bc of the disappointment that my heart feels with every phone call...

March 8th, 2012, 06:28 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't find it granola at all. I think it should be a norm although I'm lucky to be in the San Diego area where we have a birth center and it accepts state insurance. Unfortunately a lot of places are just behind in times.
Jaci_Lopez likes this.
March 8th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I can see you having an issue in the Central Valley (I lived in Fresno for a bit and my mom's family is still there). I'm in the Bay Area, and luckily NCB isn't abnormal here. Not a ton of women do it at my hospital, but they're fine with no IV, etc.

I was going to suggest a home birth, but I'm not sure if state aid will pay for any of that. Otherwise, I'd just keep searching for a provider and hope that you find one that is willing to be more flexible. I'm sorry you have to deal with this!

March 21st, 2012, 09:59 PM
Proud Mama of 3
I found a birth center in Sacramento that I'm going to go to. It's the closest one and they have a birthing tub. I'm so excited!! Thank you so much for all the support and suggestions ladies! I can't wait for my first appointment next Wed! I think we have a sonogram too!! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!
noworries and daneeleigh like this.

March 21st, 2012, 10:10 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad you found somewhere!! How stressful, and you don't need stress! I find it so bizarre that none of the doctors you called would even consider such "strange" requests.... I feel like they're not so strange anymore, but I guess in some areas it's still weird to be a natural birther. Good luck with the birth center!

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
March 22nd, 2012, 01:33 AM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad you found something! The birth climate here is so horrible. I'm in Merced (eww) and my midwife is located in Modesto. She is awesome but I'm pretty sure state insurance would not cover her since she only attends home births. I have private insurance and they wouldn't even cover her since she doesn't practice under the supervision of a MD so we had to pay out of pocket. It was worth it though! Did you check with both hospitals in Modesto? My coworker's wife delivered there in August and they have midwives on staff. I'm not sure which hospital it was (I think Memorial).

June 29th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Proud Mama of 3
Thats funny your MW was here in Modesto, bc we were originally planning a homebirth with a MW from Merced!! LOL

anywho, you can check out my birth story if you like at: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...re-ladies.html

June 29th, 2012, 03:57 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations! It sounds like you had a quick and easy birth! Was Dawn Brown the midwife in Merced you were looking at? One of my friends used her and really liked her. I've not met her but heard good things.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search