New - Want to be prepared...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2012, 11:04 AM
PaxtonsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there!

I'm Meg, and I am expecting my first child in June...initially I was ALL ABOUT the epidural but the more research I did, the more I realized I wanted to be an active participant in delivery.
I'm going to discuss this with my doctor at my next appointment (the 19th) to make sure she doesn't see any medical reasons why I shouldn't attempt a natural delivery (I'm young, healthy, placenta isn't in the way) but I was hoping to pick your brains in an effort to make sure I am preparing myself properly.

I purchased the Hypnobirthing book/CD and am starting to dig into that, but since I don't have the time to take classes anywhere, was wondering if there were any additional "home study" things you could think of that might help me. I did read the thread below regarding those of you who have used this method so I am enthusiastic that this is a great method for me but just wanted to see if there was any supplemental information I should have.

My husband has been I guess..."medium" with his support of this; was way negative initially - he can't stand the idea of me being in pain (which is sweet, and I appreciate it) and while he says he'll do whatever is necessary to help me through the delivery, he hasn't been exactly jumping at the opportunities to educate himself more on the process, so any step by step guides for daddys to be would be awesome too.

Thank you, and I look forward to getting to know you all!!

Last edited by PaxtonsMom; March 7th, 2012 at 11:08 AM.
March 8th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I'd just recommend reading birth stories (there are a bunch in one of the sub forums on this board) and reading some books on natural labor. "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" is a good one.

I just advise learning all you can about birth, issues that could arise, etc so you have more ideas of how to handle it while in labor

March 8th, 2012, 11:19 AM
PaxtonsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great! Thanks!

March 8th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Hi there! I am in a similar boat as you because I was initially a "put the epidural in as soon as I get admitted" kind of gal but have since done a 180. I would strongly suggest hiring a doula to assist you in the birth. Not only will she be there for you during the big day but my dould has helped me SO much in just being prepared and knowing exactly what I'm getting into. She's also been a huge support to my husband and included him in every step of this process.

I have learned so much about how natural the birthing process can be and how amazing it can be if you just let things happen -- our bodies were made for this.
March 9th, 2012, 01:33 PM
And just to add...the doula is not expensive (between $400-600) and it's very much worth it.
March 10th, 2012, 07:30 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know if I could have done it without my doula. She was amazing and a huge help during labor. We had no intentions of hiring one until last minute and thank God we did. She was able to come up with labor position ideas at the drop of a hat and it kept me in a nice rhythm for labor. Don't get me wrong, my partner was an awesome support system but in a different way. I also read tons of birth stories as well but unfortunately I found not all of them to be truthful or made labor seem like roses and sunshine. That wasn't the case for me lol.
March 11th, 2012, 01:25 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used Hypnobabies and had a lot of success with it. I took classes but they do offer a home study which is supposed to be really good. I was a bit concerned with my hubby not being as supportive as I would need during labor too. As it turned out he was awesome, but honestly if you're using hypnosis you'll be so far into the "labor zone" it won't matter who is there and who isn't.

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

March 12th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Regular
I had initially said I wanted the epidural or at least some sort of pain control available, so that if I needed it, I could use it. However, by the time I got to the hospital after contracting at home for 7 hours, I was dilated to an 8 and they wouldn't allow it. My poor DH started crying at one point as I fought through the last contractions crying out in agony and it upset me to see him upset lol but I'm glad I didn't get the option of the pain control because when my daughter was born, she was fully alert and had no problems what so ever.
Yes it hurt but honestly, I can't remember the pain anymore. I had back labor throughout the entire time and it sucked but after 9 hours of that versus however much recovery time it took to get over a needle being stuck in my spine and having a catheter and whatever else goes into having an epidural, I'm glad I got to stick it out au naturale.
Women have been giving birth for thousands of years without pain control, we can handle it and you won't remember it too long after you have your child because you'll be too busy enjoying them
The minute I pushed her out was the biggest relief ever and I felt SOOOOO much better, and even better when I delivered the placenta. Yes the stitches sucked and they felt awkward but not long after that I was holding my wide eyed daughter and all was forgotten

You can handle it! and your DH will bounce back, but don't be surprised if he is crying during labor

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search