Question about hypnobirthing + Intro

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Hello ladies. I am new to the Natural Childbirth board. My name is Sharron, I'm 36, from the UK, and pregnant with #2 due in August. I've been a member of JM forever and am the host of my DDC. I posted a bit on the Labor and Childbirth board when I was pregnant with my son.

I found my birth experience last time very traumatic. It involved syntocinon and antibiotic drips because my waters had gone but my contractions had stalled and I was failing to progress normally at all. I ended up having a heavy epidural due to the pain from the syntocinon, and it took around 36 hours to get into established labour. Even at 10cm I couldn't feel to push and my son needed ventouse assistance to be born, and I had to have an episiotomy. My son had a collapsed lung, was whipped away from me and taken to neonatal, and while he fought back hard remained in hospital for 2 weeks due to repeated infections from his chest drain.

I've been reading birth stories, the Birth Without Fear blog and reading as much as I can about childbirth, because I'm absolutely determined to have a better birth experience this time and for it to cause as little trauma to baby as possible, especially given I'm 36 and this is likely my last baby. My son was from a previous relationship, and my partner now, Shaun, 47, is truly my soulmate and I know he will be much more supportive and helpful during labour. So...I have decided I'd like to have as natural a labour as possible, though with my previous experience in mind I am not ruling out all pain relief, I want to try TENS and will accept diamorphine if things get bad, but don't want an epidural. As I am also very spiritual, I decided Hypnobirthing would be the way to go, and I got The Mongan Method book which I read and loved, and my partner is also going to read it so we can push for it with our hospital.

There is no Hypnobirthing course in our area, and I simply don't have the money for the home study course as my partner is a student and I have been out of work since May last year - even though I'll be working full-time from April-July in a fixed term post, I will need that money for baby and to live off until I'm ready to start working/jobseeking again after the birth. So I may have to come here with questions as I read and re-read and practice techniques. I hope that's ok!

There is just one aspect of the Hypnobirthing book at the moment that I'm not sure I can buy into. There is so much sensible advice in there that seems perfectly logical. The one thing I can't imagine is this business of breathing the baby down and this making pushing unnecessary. (**TMI ALERT** I have already given it a try on the toilet each day and I will say I have noticed it makes it easier, but doesn't seem to do away with the need to push altogether).

Is this actually true? If you get the breathing the baby down technique really right, should you not need to push? Have I misread the book a little here and does it just mean gentle pushes should do it?

I remember from my first birth the staff at our hospital are big into coaching mothers and telling them in no uncertain terms to push hard and long. I feel like we will really have to justify why we don't want this at our birth so just wondered if you ladies had any words of advice.

March 13th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't use Hypnobirthing with my births, but usually breathing the baby down means letting your body push on its own versus directed pushing. So, your body will naturally push the baby out and you can push with the urge versus pushing when a nurse says "push and hold to 10, etc".

March 13th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Birth Breathing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your body has a Natural Expulsive Reflex, and will birth your baby by itself. All you need to do is listen to your body. You will feel the urge to breath your baby down automatically, at which point, take a short intake of breath and then imagine your breath flowing down from the top of your lungs, following down your spine , down, down to your vaginal area and then curving up slightly, like the tail end of the letter J. The purpose is to allow your baby to move down gently - without exhortations to PUSH, PUSH, PUSH - gently allowing the birth path to open, gently birthing your baby. Nudge your baby down, ease it. As you open up like a flower, so your baby emerges.
March 15th, 2012, 03:16 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Thank you. That makes sense. So it means pushing gently or "nudging" when you get the urge to push, rather than at a midwife's directions.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search