Just in case...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
So we're planning our birth at a bc 3 miles away...but we only have one vehicle (not that I'd drive myself in labor or anything ), and dh would probably not be able to leave work on a moments notice. And I have NO clue what to expect with labor as my first was medicated-that awful gel on the cervix...took me like 8 hours to get to 2cm (and I was already a fingertip dilated) and 4 to get to complete, pushing, and deliver him. So I don't know how fast it will happen this time. Also, on Saturday the 5th, dh (and possibly ds and I) will be driving almost 2 hours up to Portland to pick my mom up from the airport and back home again...so if things start happening then, well, baby is just going to have to wait to come! hehehe...

So anyways, should something happen and she just decides not to let us get to the bc, what do you do to make sure everything is ok? I've seen lots of shows on tv, and realize we would have to check her neck on the way out to make sure the cord isn't around it, etc, and to get on all fours if it seems like her shoulders are having a hard time coming out. But what about cutting the cord, etc? I am NOT calling 911 just because she's born (oh man, I might as well file for bankruptcy if I do that) unless she's not breathing or something. But we'll go to the bc after she is born if she comes at home. I'd just like a head's up of the what to do's. Did that make sense?

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
July 13th, 2006, 01:08 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
There is a book out called "emergency childbirth". It was written a LONG time ago but basically says this about 'emergency' birth:

Make mom comfortable and don't keep her from pushing
Put one hand under the babies presenting part (most probably the head).
Once babies head is born, check around the neck for a cord. If there is one present, see if it is loose enough to loop over babies head. If not, wait.
While babies body begins to be born, place the other hand under their emerging body. DON'T PULL on any part of the baby at any time.
If baby is posterior, have mom get on all fours and breath through as many pushing contractions as possible until the umbilical cord is visible (belly button area), then have her push with contractions. Let gravity flex baby into the proper position (don't hold baby straight out, but let him 'dangle' while holding onto him).
If baby seems stuck in the headfirst position, have mom get on all fours and attempt to locate the armpits - the highest shoulders armpit first. Attempt to maneuver their arms out one at a time.
Once baby is born, put him skin-to-skin with mom and cover them both up with clothing or a blanket.
Lay baby belly down on mom to help him/her expel mucous. DO NOT swipe the babies mouth unless they are gurgling and not able to expel their own mucous.
Have mom nurse immediately, do not do anything to the cord.
At this point you can continue to drive to the bc or hospital - and the placenta will come on its own - or you can wait for the placenta to be born - at which point you just wrap it up with baby and continue to the bc or hospital.

Chances are, you will get there with no problem. But, it is nice to have this information on hand just in case.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
July 13th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Thank you very much! I always worried about the cord thing because for some reason I thought if the placenta was birthed while baby was still attached it would bleed the baby out... I have NO clue where I picked that up, probably a stupid movie or something.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
July 13th, 2006, 08:58 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
this is just my personnal opinion but I would make sure not to call an ambulance and to continue to the birth center.I have heard horror stories of moms being speperated from their babies for hours becuase of EMT's and "procedures". Of course if you think somethign is wrong do not hesitiate. I know my midwife went over all this with me at my 36 week visit. We were planning a homebirth but she went over it incase the baby was born before she got here. my last labors were quick and although we moved at 38 weeks and my baby was born in the hospitla I was only in labor for 1 hour and 45 minutes. SO chances are she wouldn't have made it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search