Preparing for homebirth - question

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2006, 02:29 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We will need to have some food for the midwives, both snacks & meals. And of course, we have NO Idea how long theyll need to be there for, so... I need some advice!

We wont have anyone else who will be able to make a fresh meal on the spot - so any suggestions for things that could be made & frozen ahead of time that will be semi healthy and nutritious, good tasting, filling, and not difficult for either me or my H to "remake" without it tasting horrible from being reheated? lol. Also, something that hopefully wont take forever to reheat or require a lot of effort. My H cant cook soup much less a meal, and who knows what shape Ill be in. And b/c we dont know if things will drag out or rush along, I want to be prepared in case things come on suddenly and I either have limited time to pull it out or no time at all.

HELP!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
July 13th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Lilah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This thread might help!

http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...owtopic=247981
July 13th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
i made sure we had a rotisserie chicken and a veggie tray on hand the week I was due, that was pretty much it.

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

July 13th, 2006, 09:01 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A lot of midiwfes suggest having chicken soup frozen that can be thrown into a crock pot or pan it replinshes something that you lose during labor (can't think of what it is.)
cut up veggies and dips are easy. Beans in a crock. veggie soup if you don't do meat. lasagna frozen, I don't think you will be to into eating that though.
July 14th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
ya... the birth of my daughter was soo fast, that i dont think that we all really got too famished, but we had a ton of finger food for people to munch on. we had the big nut bowl, the fruit salad, the veggie tray, the bean salad, we had all sorts of cold teas and juice. we had a bowl of yummy dark chocolates too. i think keeping it simple was the way to go.. no big meals, just energy boostin snacks.

i couldnt eat anything, but the teas were great to drink cold, as i was overheating soo much.
July 16th, 2006, 07:58 PM
mooliette's Avatar Member
Send a message via MSN to mooliette Send a message via Yahoo to mooliette
We we're prepared for a long and short labor and delivery.

Both times we had short lol, we had egg salad fixings, fruit salad, cheese, crackers and dips available. Baked goods and casseroles are easy to prepare prior to labor and delivery. Just store them in the freezer.

Food on a stick is also easy to prepare, meat kabobs, fruit kabobs and veggie kabobs, cheese kabobs.

Pretty much anything is possible, it's also a good idea to ask the midwives what they like to eat during a homebirth.

mama to Alex, Sammy & Anna

"My vision is that all children are raised lovingly and non-violently and with discipline that motivates them through love, not through fear. When children go through the challenges of childhood with loving, kind and firm guidance they are able to develop their full potential and follow their dreams."

- Deborah Critzer-Fox, Positive Parenting
July 17th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I ended up laboring from 10 pm until 8:30 am and most people just don't feel like eating in the middle of the night. My parents and aunt were here from 2:30 on and the midwife and her assistant were here from 4:30 on. They left a bit before noon.

We had: hummus, chips, wheat thins, triscuits, pretzels, almonds, veggies (broccoli, peppers, carrots), fruit (peaches, apples, oranges, bananas), sweet popcorn, and bread and various sandwich things.

Most of it didn't get eaten while I was in labor which worked great because we've been eating it (particularly my kids) over the last few days since Fritz was born. It's been nice having easy quick snacks on hand for the kids.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 18th, 2006, 11:12 AM
I know my midwife will be staying for at least 6 hours after the birth. That is her policy unless she has another woman go into labor. But her next patient isn't due until late August, so I know she will be staying with us for a while, even if the labor is short. I plan on having veggie trays, fruit salad, wheat thins, cheese and meat tray, and lots of hydrating things like gatorade and some organic juices I like. Maybe you can ask your midwife how long they plan on staying after the birth. That could give you a better idea of what you might want to have around.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search