Question...How many of you

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2006, 02:12 AM
lilbluedolphin's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lilbluedolphin Send a message via Yahoo to lilbluedolphin
I am new to this board but not new to JM. I just hired my childbirth instructor as my doula. Due to some pregnancy comlications I have to give birth in the hospital, but my goal is to do it without or will the least amount of intervention possible.

I was wondering who has expreriance with a doula and how the delvery went for you. I am a single mom and my mom(who has never given birth as my brother and I are adopted) is my birth coach.

Also do any of you know of some good relaxation cds?

Thanks a bunch

Robyn
<div align="center"><div align="center"></div><div align="center">~~Thank you Samuelsmommy for my adorable siggy~~</div><div align="center">~~Thank you Ragmama for my new blinkies~~</div></span></span></span></span><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div>
July 14th, 2006, 06:17 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
I think it is an awesome idea to have a coach and your mom both there! I am a little biased as I am a doula, lol, but still...

The reason it is such a great idea is that, though your mom can provide the emotional support that you need and has that bond with you that the doula and you don't. BUT, the doula will remember things that you and she may forget during labor, she has been to MANY births and can help you with her experience, she can be the unbiased voice of reason, and physically provide labor comforts for you. She is there to be your strongest advocate!

How cool that your mom is going to be part of your birth! The only CDs that I ever used for relaxation were a self-made mix of Anuna, Sarah Brightman, and praise and worship.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
July 14th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Susieb's Avatar Just doing the next thing
Maybe one day when my children are grown I will become an "official" doula, but I have attended two different births as a support person. At the last birth that I attended, the midwife asked if I would come back the next day to help with a delivery she was doing. She was serious.

If you cannot find a doula, you can also find another woman who has a similar childbirth style that you want. There is another lady in our church who also attends births if woman ask, but she is not a "doula" but does the same things a doula would, just has not gone through any official training.

I had my sister at my first 3 births and she was a great great support person. Better than any person that I could have paid.

Just an option for you to think about.
Elianna Sarah born 5.4.11

July 14th, 2006, 09:06 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Doula here - and I plan to have a doula for my birth as well. I had my first baby with no support - my mom was in and out - she worked at the hospital, but that was it. And she really wasnt much help unfortunately lol.

I really wish Id have had a doula.

Since most of my experience, though, is from the standpoint OF a doula, Im a little biased lol. I have attended mostly births with dads and/or moms as the main coach, and only two births where I was the moms ONLY coach. All of them, IMO, were great births, some better than others of course. I get a little blushed b/c I hear "oh i couldnt have done it without you" a lot - and of course *I* know they very well could have

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
July 16th, 2006, 07:08 PM
mooliette's Avatar Member
Send a message via MSN to mooliette Send a message via Yahoo to mooliette
I have two very close friends that are certified doulas. I'd love to have their support, while supporting their business as well. However, DH and I have talked about it and he feels that if we hire a doula she will be taking his job, he doesn't understand what his role would be if we had one. I kinda chuckled at him, but he's kinda right.

I'm still trying to convince him that we need another person there for the boys, also someone that knows how to take great pictures. I don't see a doula taking on either of those tasks.

mama to Alex, Sammy & Anna

"My vision is that all children are raised lovingly and non-violently and with discipline that motivates them through love, not through fear. When children go through the challenges of childhood with loving, kind and firm guidance they are able to develop their full potential and follow their dreams."

- Deborah Critzer-Fox, Positive Parenting
July 17th, 2006, 08:52 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I hired one for my 2nd child.

I am a doula as well, I think you can't go wrong with a doula.

July 17th, 2006, 09:19 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Quote:
I have two very close friends that are certified doulas. I'd love to have their support, while supporting their business as well. However, DH and I have talked about it and he feels that if we hire a doula she will be taking his job, he doesn't understand what his role would be if we had one. I kinda chuckled at him, but he's kinda right.

I'm still trying to convince him that we need another person there for the boys, also someone that knows how to take great pictures. I don't see a doula taking on either of those tasks.[/b]
Actually, a doula doesn't take place of Dad. A doula helps Dad. As a doula I have been a photographer, the past two births I was at, I was the only photographer. Doulas are hired to what you want, whether that is support for mom, dad, grandma, children, etc. But they never ever take place of Dad.

July 17th, 2006, 12:31 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Although I had a fairly *good* hospital birth with my first son I so wish I had known about doulas. I would have had one for sure!

My second was just me and DH and DS. But I wish we had had someone like my preceptor with us. She is a gem.

I don't know that I would hire a doula now as I have 2 close pals who will help me and DH *if* we have another child. One is a midwife and the other will be a midwife someday but she has had 2 homebirths.

July 18th, 2006, 02:48 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't had one. We are too poor. lol My husband is a really great support person but Iagree you can't go wrong with a doula just make sure you get one that believes in natural childbirth. I thought this was a given for Doula's but i guess not.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search