We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I had an appointment with a new Dr today and after discussing my birthing history and DD's shoulder distocia, the Dr said she's getting me at least 2 ultrasounds (one in 2 weeks and at 36 weeks) to check size of baby. If baby is measuring large, she's urging me to have a c-section. I understand why, since shoulder distocia is no joke and could have seriously harmed DD more than just a lump on her collarbone but at the same time I'm heartbroken. I'm practically begging this baby to just be a little bit smaller..
I want a natural birth.. or at very LEAST a vaginal birth. No cutting me open, no staples..
She made it sound like if he's a big baby, doing anything other than a c-section was pretty much killing my son. She listed all the possible problems with shoulder distocia and looked concerned.
I don't know what to do anymore Maybe I'm just not built to carry and have babies.
I'm sorry to hear about your appointment I'm wanting a natural birth as well and I'm on the small side, I'm only 5'2" and I was a 9lb baby, my DH was over 10lb when he was born so. Hopefully you can find a care provider that will work with you, I have been talking to a doula and midwife that have dealt with larger babies that had SD and they've given me some options when it comes to birthing. Fingers are crossed for you!! Good luck with everything!
I would probably get another opinion as well. I've had numerous friends have one baby with SD and subsequent babies did not have it. There are different positions that you can do in labor to help the shoulder unstick as well versus having an OB reach up and try to manipulate it, etc.
Did you ask for stats on risk of repeated SD after having it once?
If it is a huge risk, don't beat yourself up. Before c-sections and high risk care a lot of women and babies didn't make it because of things that can be prevented now. C-sections aren't all bad. They are when you don't need them, but if you get your facts right and determine that surgery is really what's best then don't feel too bad. You might not get your ideal birth but you'll get a healthy baby in the end that you may feel would have been to risky otherwise.
mama to 5 yr old DS1 , 3 year old DS2 , and nursling DD .
I don't know much about SD, but it sounds like you've gotten some great advice. I would definitely get a second opinion, and if possible from a midwife or from someone who is more supportive of natural birth.
And I just want to say don't doubt your ability to carry & have babies! I have no doubt you can have your natural birth, you just have to surround yourself with supportive people & positive attitudes. The birth center I'm looking at posts their babies on facebook (with mom's permission of course) and they've had multiple 10+ pound babies born there. I know it seems late in the game to change your doctor, but if it comes to getting the birth you want, it's totally worth it!
Just updating. Had an ultrasound and baby is measuring roughly in the 35th percentile overall, meaning he IS smaller and will most likely be at birth. Although they could be off, I doubt they can be off THAT much. My belly is measuring perfectly (31 at 31w) and the midwife I saw at my last appointment (They swap who sees you around a lot until the end, I guess) gave me a LOT of hope at a natural birth. She also said to request midwife appointments only, no nurse/Dr appointments and I will have a midwife instead of an OB who will deliver the baby and will help me make sure I get a drug free birth with NO interventions. She even said they will do delayed cord clamping! I'm very excited now! The next 8 weeks will fly by.